gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  JMC DY repair / restoration # 1
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: JMC DY repair / restoration # 1  (Read 2501 times)

subwax

JMC DY repair / restoration # 1
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:36 AM »
So its my DY that got the treatment next. This one came in with a sick downtube, which the Ebayer "kindly" neglected to mention or show on any of the pics:

Again, off to Rod's and even though he normally does excellent work, I think he really outdid himself on this one. Cant even see the weld or anything, and we didnt need to replace the downtube:

Now I know my colour choice wont be to everyone's taste, but I dont reallt care. I wanted to do something different, so chose candy green for this one. Of course, its off to Chip's for the treatment:

With decals, she looks like this - sorry about the pic, but the light has faded due to a mental thunderstorm:

Again, thanks to Rod and Chip for yet more sterling work. I really love restoring old frames, and my JMC's are my pride and joy.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: JMC DY repair / restoration # 1
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Again a great resto! Colour a bif iffy though.  ;)

subwax

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Its strange that the colour really puts people off. Pkradman has seen it in person and he liked it - I took that as a complement - he knows what he's on about.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Neil ,

What kind of cost does this repair or the others work out to ? . It's always tricky to get any kind of benchmark where exceptional repairs are involved like these .

Matt

Frosty

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Neil,

I haven't checked the other forums for while, but has Rod re-appeared yet and if so is he in better health??

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:00 PM »
Its strange that the colour really puts people off. Pkradman has seen it in person and he liked it - I took that as a complement - he knows what he's on about.

Oh, I'm sure it's a lovely colour when you have so many, it's nice to have something different. I just prefer them in other colours.

subwax

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Sure, I understand. Depends on how you see the hobby going. I think that more custom colours, designs, etc will become popular. After all, a gold plated pit bike nearly won best of show at Rockford. Damn sure they werent making them BITD.

A mistake I will own up to is a candy orange GT - not good.

subwax

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Neil ,

What kind of cost does this repair or the others work out to ? . It's always tricky to get any kind of benchmark where exceptional repairs are involved like these .

Matt

Hi Matt,

If I recall, all the JMC repairs worked out at between 150 - 250 quid. Given current market conditions, even for a repaired frame, I think it will keep its value. Not that I am in this to sell or anything like that, but its good to see that the things are not worthless anymore.

subwax

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Neil,

I haven't checked the other forums for while, but has Rod re-appeared yet and if so is he in better health??

Yes, Rod is back to full strength again. He's got one almighty backlog to work through though.

Have you heard of Tim Copcyk - seracingman on vintagebmx?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Neil ,

Matt

Hi Matt,

If I recall, all the JMC repairs worked out at between 150 - 250 quid. Given current market conditions, even for a repaired frame, I think it will keep its value. Not that I am in this to sell or anything like that, but its good to see that the things are not worthless anymore.

Cheers Neil , definately worth it then when you look at what's out there as such and the condition sometimes  ;)

subwax

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Yes, thats true. At least I know the integrity of these frames, although the value will be less given that they have been repaired.

Still, its not about money, its about pride and satisfaction.

Just had a GHP Pro 1 repaired too, which was in a crap state. That came out wicked too.

subversion

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Sterling work there mate :daumenhoch:

subwax

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Thanks very much.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Pkradman has seen it in person and he liked it - I took that as a complement - he knows what he's on about.

The frames look good Neil, it is good to see the repairs, really interesting. 

However I have to pull you up on the above comment, since when has Lee known what he is on about?   :LolLolLolLol:

subwax

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Pkradman has seen it in person and he liked it - I took that as a complement - he knows what he's on about.

The frames look good Neil, it is good to see the repairs, really interesting. 

However I have to pull you up on the above comment, since when has Lee known what he is on about?   :LolLolLolLol:

LOL - He takes some stick, does Lee - maybe its his fanclub we should be talking about.

thecrooch

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 05:20 PM »
loving that green

keep it lit!

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 05:23 PM »

Good effort there Neil, looks like craftsmenship quality repairs there.... make sure you bring them to MK so i can have a proper butchers! :police:

Feeling the green touch n all :daumenhoch:

Ade :crazy2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  JMC DY repair / restoration # 1

gfxgfx
gfx gfx