gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 10:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Holeshot RF1
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Holeshot RF1  (Read 14088 times)

lodge

Re: Holeshot RF1
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2008, 12:03 AM »

..got a green HOLESHOT sticker from the holeshot comp 85/86? ..is that rare?

thought not     :idiot2:

nice find and nice frame though, remember seeing neil ride one bitd. What did they retail for back then?

Around 150 i think, those green stickers are deffo rarer than the red ones.

magna13

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2008, 09:58 AM »
can whoever buys it please build it up with the correct parts as a tribute to the legend that was, neil ruffell R.I.P.
that is a superb idea! it'll be the only one out there!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Vince Gregory, pleased his name came up as i remember he rode a chrome RF1 with black tuffs at several BFA comps, been trying to remember his name for the last few days.

I remember neil running a red, light blue and a orange RF1 all with  white rims, they were all  good  looking bikes for that era IMO.
Robert ran a green one with chrome rims.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Vince Gregory, pleased his name came up as i remember he rode a chrome RF1 with black tuffs at several BFA comps, been trying to remember his name for the last few days.

I remember neil running a red, light blue and a orange RF1 all with  white rims, they were all  good  looking bikes for that era IMO.
Robert ran a green one with chrome rims.

:LolLolLolLol: thought you might have asked me if you couldn't remember his name...

Yeah, I remember Neil riding Red, light blue and orange too. Didn't Robert also ride a white one too?

bmxer4ever

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2008, 10:35 AM »
can whoever buys it please build it up with the correct parts as a tribute to the legend that was, neil ruffell R.I.P.

Some more pics that might help....

G

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I saw a bike like very much like that down my local dump about 15 months ago. I thought it was a POS.   ???

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2008, 08:37 AM »
never mind bike of the year ,this would have to go in bike of the decade  :4_17_5:
like everybody else can't wait for the one to be have a bit of resto on it and built up  :smitten:

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Is anyone able to recall the full spec Neil Ruffle ran on his RF1??

bmxer4ever

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Woody Itson bars, 401's, DX.....chrome layback, white Kashi.....

Or you could just look at the pictures!!

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2008, 11:24 PM »
Woody Itson bars, 401's, DX.....chrome layback, white Kashi.....

Or you could just look at the pictures!!

Yeah i have thanks

magna13

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2008, 03:26 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2008, 04:08 PM »
I saw a bike like very much like that down my local dump about 15 months ago. I thought it was a POS.   ???

you did the right thing jim

dannywhiteley

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2008, 07:48 PM »

It was, however it was an extremely rare POS.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01 PM »

It was, however it was an extremely rare POS.

I really can't see why anyone thinks that a Holeshot is any bigger piece of shi@t than a Street Beat or a Haro of the same vintage? Or any other freestyle frame from the mid eighties..??!!

I rode and broke most of them, and believe me, a Holeshot was definetly no worse than many of the big brand names.
They were ALL a piece of shi@t - they cost too much, they flexed to much and they broke too easy.

The only thing I never broke was a Badlander frame, and I hardly ever saw anyone break a Trickstar, but to say that this (RF1) was worse than the rest...??? Give us a break. (No pun intended...)

Trev

« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2008, 11:13 PM »
totally agree gary. none of the frames from the 80's were indestructible.
it may not have been the best, but it was definitely not the worst.
neil was busting 10ft airs on his, so it couldn't have been that weak.

magna13

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2008, 12:18 AM »
 :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2008, 07:15 AM »
too true on frame breaking as any frame will break ,some were worse than other`s like the haro`s that allways went around seat tube section as haro never welded them underneath ,the prolite that always snapped at seat post tube as too long ,trickstar`s went underneath brace support on top tube but they did need a lot of abuse to do that , i think the only frame i saw out of my mates that never broke was the mongoose decade .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

lodge

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31 AM »
There was not enough RF1's around bitd for any of us to know whether they broke easily i would say the only person that would have known how strong they were would have been Neil, as has been said he seemed to run a different colour frame at every comp he rode but was this because he broke them????? we may never know. Who cares how strong it is Neil rode one which will always gave it a place in many peoples hearts.
Its an awesome find and should be cherished.

Trev

« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2008, 10:41 AM »
maybe neil did change the frame colour because he snapped them, maybe andy gave him more freedom to change frames whenever he wanted. who knows.
if it was because he snapped them, you would have thought he might have stuck to the same colour to give the impression that his frame was lasting longer than it actually did.
either way, i doubt if you had one now, that you'd give it any sort of abuse or use it as a rider in the same way you probably wouldn't trash a gen 1.

magna13

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2008, 11:25 AM »
maybe neil did change the frame colour because he snapped them, maybe andy gave him more freedom to change frames whenever he wanted. who knows.
if it was because he snapped them, you would have thought he might have stuck to the same colour to give the impression that his frame was lasting longer than it actually did.
either way, i doubt if you had one now, that you'd give it any sort of abuse or use it as a rider in the same way you probably wouldn't trash a gen 1.
true!  :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I wasnt bein serious at all, I think its a fantastic find and a great frame with a great history behind it.

I love Rebel ffs, as if I can talk...lol

Sean 2000

« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2008, 04:33 PM »
And since when did 'how strong' come into it when restoring old bikes. You don't restore them to ride them so what does it matter?

Thats like saying a Ferrari 288GTO is shite because an enzo is faster. Everything has its time in history, like the RF1!

Sean.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Its not the best looking bike, dont seem anything special, but its rare as fook and it would be nice to see it fully restored maybe as a ruffel replica

bmxer4ever

« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Its not the best looking bike, dont seem anything special, but its rare as fook and it would be nice to see it fully restored maybe as a ruffel replica

This might sound strange, but I think the fact the sticker set was so awful helped keep the RF1 out of the showrooms. I remember we all thought it didn't look that great because of that!
Think of the graphics Haro put on his bikes, how great it made the bikes look and the amount that they sold, and you'll get an idea of what I mean!
I liked the frame, just never got that exicted enough about it to buy one when I was lookin' to buy a new bike. Pity that, or you might be lookin' at a pic of mine...! (I never threw anything away if I could help it!).

magna13

« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2008, 11:06 PM »
And since when did 'how strong' come into it when restoring old bikes. You don't restore them to ride them so what does it matter?

Thats like saying a Ferrari 288GTO is shite because an enzo is faster. Everything has its time in history, like the RF1!

Sean.
Very True  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Holeshot RF1

gfxgfx
gfx gfx