gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 01:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  stuck grips
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stuck grips  (Read 475 times)

BmxBandito

stuck grips
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:44 PM »
Whats the best way to get stuck grips off, without damaging the grips?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: stuck grips
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Take the bars off mate, I use WD40 and either a chop stick or a philips screwdriver (be careful not to tear into it) and spray, work down the tool into the grip, spray more, twist, spray, twist and then it should come off. Done it loads of times and not once affected the grips ... hope that helps!

Matt  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:47 PM »
carefully get a thin screw driver down inside, then along side that stick the red tube on your wd40 down the gap.

squirt wd40. remove tube and screw driver, squidge the grip around and then slide it off. remember wd40 also fixes your grips in place when it's dried.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Both spot on , but Joe why are u telling him it fixes em when dried , i think he ll do it all in one go and not spray it down and leave em for a couple of weeks :LolLolLolLol:

JT71

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I'm just adding information for when he re-fits his grips, if he's not sure how to get em off he might not know about fixing them.

back in the day a friend of mine, (lives ten doors down from me now, but doesn't have the bmx bug and this might explain why) slid his brand new red ODI Mushies on his Night Burner with washing up liquid as they were a tight fit, but didn;t let them dry over night, went straight out and rode it, proclaiming "I'm gonna do a massive bunny hop" he heaved up on his bars, his grips came off, his arms wnet up into like a crucifix position and were still up there when his face hit the tarmac.

so you see, fixing advice is never wasted.  :daumenhoch:

(ps wanna fight Wardy? only kidding, I've heard you're quite buff)

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:10 PM »

chopsticks.....GENIUS!

JT71

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:17 PM »

chopsticks.....GENIUS!

you're not wrong, and the take away will give em away free, no chance of gouging up your bars or ripping your grips

perry

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:22 PM »
ahh interesting . ive wondered what would be thinner than a screwdriver

if that doesnt work ( it will ) get a vernier caliper and measure the bar size ( might be 25.4 ) and get a drill bit in that size . drill out the bar thus leaving you with a grip  :D

( dont actually do it . but you knew that anyway  :) )

ive found hairspray stickier for putting them back on . ive even seen people spitting on them in times of new grips ( nah mate i wont have a ride on it thanks  ;D )

darkersomeday

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24 PM »
i like to roll mine back like a foreskin, a little hairspray sprayed on the rolled bit and off they come :daumenhoch:

perry

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 10:34 PM »
 ;D

i like to wind mates up by rolling them inside out on the bar . or turning them into a big donut  ;D

almasterb

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:20 AM »
I've always used an an air compressor to remove old grips that have ends on them. They slide right off when air is forced into the small hole of the grip end, with a thumb plugging the other bar end. I use the wd40 trick on open end grips.

moley

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53 AM »
I didn't have any lubricants or compressed air to hand.

I used big fat cable ties and pushed them into the grip with the smooth side to the bar.  They are still thinner than a screwdriver or chopsticks.

1 at the top. 1 the bottom and 1 to the left 1 to the right.

The grip slides off with a little effort.  Not super easily but easy enough for a little old arthritic lady to handle.

I use the same technique for getting them on too.

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 08:05 AM »
i like to roll mine back like a foreskin, a little hairspray sprayed on the rolled bit and off they come :daumenhoch:

Ive done that before and ended up with a rolled up grip that I couldnt get unrolled again. It looked like a big button mushroom.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  stuck grips

gfxgfx
gfx gfx