gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Getting into shape for racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Getting into shape for racing  (Read 2641 times)

Rexy

Getting into shape for racing
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:57 PM »
This thread should probably go into the restoration section (arf arf) but I wanted to get some advice from the meisters on here.

I am back on a BMX now for the first time in 15 yrs (or more).  Had a 6-7 road race/training period in my twenties but now coming up to 36. How do I get back into some sort of shape for racing?

I have got the road trainer out again and did 30 miles yesterday.  Taken to running 3-4 times a week and am trying to lose a bit of timber but....................

Training in isolation means that I am not sure if I am doing the right things.  Any tips from you guys?

Slightly dull subject but probably timely given that the summer race season is coming.

Thanks.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Getting into shape for racing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 10:13 PM »
Push ups help, but I use push up bars as my wrists hurt otherwise, you seem to be fit enough if you can do 30 miles on a road trainer , but I think the best training would be on the bmx as practice is whats needed to get the technique right, and learning how to crash of course  :crazy2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:22 PM by billstup »
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:20 PM »
It's not really the distance

Set to a hard gear & do sprints , say like a 30 second one , then 1 minute & so on

Rexy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Good point Bill, it seems that jumps is what its all about these days.  The sets of whoops that these new tracks have are mental, I like it as it all looks a lot more technical.  I just need to find out if I can jump again. :o

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 10:29 PM »
I find that just riding helps, I ride to the gym, shops etc.  It gets you comfortable on the bike again.

Rexy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 10:32 PM »
Aye thats true un' all.  The bike I have just got (Crupi XXL Pro) is immensely long.  Fits me nicely but is not like my last bike ( a CW Phase One).

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Rexy ,

would have done you a deal on my Staats (in For Sale area) Pro XXL , got more cred than a Crapi as well  ;)  :santa_smiley:Sorry Rexy , Crupi  :santa_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:17 AM by Mattdub »

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Yup, sounds to me like you already have the fitness, all you need is some practice ;)

Jazzchimp

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:24 PM »
Doesn't matter what you do - you'll still have a searing pain in the lungs after the first corner!!! :buck2: :buck2: :buck2:

Stu uk Liverpool

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 12:04 AM »
i dont ride anymore guys
i know a lot of old athletes and footy players whose shine splints had overtook and still do
they all swear by a decent stepper
good for the knees to

Bren Gunn

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 01:03 AM »
It's no good getting fit and fast if you can't ride a BMX track...  your going to out ride your self, and if that's the case you will end up in pain or hospital, practice on a track for a few months first or die...  happy new year :2funny:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 01:52 AM »
Aye, yer fitter than me by the sounds of it so all you gotta go now is go out and ride

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 07:17 AM »
Where you from Rexy?
what is your nearest track??
 :) DINGO :)

Flying_fox

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I'd just say ride as much as you can.

I ride every weekend and race all year through. Fair enough I go to the gym, run, do spinning, legs presses, culs etc. but unless you've got the bike control all that power and speed is going to be wasted. And it don't matter how much you train on the road and in the gym, the only thing that makes a full lap any easier is doing more full laps. Gym gives you more snap, more power and quicker recovery, the quicker you recover the more times you can try and get that tricky rythem section dialled in etc. Also being super fit don't do diddily when is come to 25 foot doubles, you just have to have big bollox for that. Most tracks now have sections that if you can't jump at least most of it your going to get blown out of the back of the pack.

And learn to crash. :crazy2:

Good luck dude, hope to see you on a start hill some place soon.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 02:01 PM »
drink aprox 2 and a half bottles of vodka a week, smoke whatever you can get your hands on (not heroin or crack as this uses up valuable parts budget) go out there and imagine your 14 again and go for it, theres no real training dude just practise, but beware! you will feel the pain when you fall off, old bones arnt as forgiving so get padded up dude. :D

Geth

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 03:10 PM »
Get to the track and the skatepark and imagine you are a little kid again with no fear. :idiot2:
That should just about do it. ;)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 03:12 PM »
went to the track todau (Bulwell) realised
a, how unfit I am  :(
b,How rubbish I am  >:(
but I WILL get fitter/better

SammyVee

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 03:21 PM »
At least you have a track to ride !!!

Only track near me looks like a bomb site.. my method for gettin fit is re workin the track manually during spring !!

mightymini

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 04:51 PM »
training at track vital, you should already have the legs for it. upper body, shoulders and arms and core muscles will need work. developing fittness and skill is best done on track, once youve gained more track time then maybe move to gym work.

FORDY

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 05:47 PM »
if you can, ride to work! MTB/road bike whatever! Your commute becomes your training!

To get fit quick - a road bike is the only option!

Sprints - use lamp posts, and sprint between them. The key is to explode off the first pole and hang on utill the following pole. You should be trying to rip the cogs off your sprockets. If you are doing this correctly, you will be only able to manage 3 per session!

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 09:40 PM »
use your bmx for training on the road if you cant get to a track, racing cars at traffic lights is fun! you need to be practicing manuals, as these are essential for nu skool racing, do em up and down curb ramps. You'll use the same technique on a track
the gym is boring, get yourself to a skatepark in the evening, riding vert is really knackering as well, you stop after a run and feel like you've been in a race. This will give the balls to jump stuff too

the only problem with this is you might end prefering riding parks!

take a leaf out of geths book, keep ya finger in all areas of riding bmx

get on ya bmx!

davemac1974

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 12:25 AM »
went to the track todau (Bulwell)

...aaaah, Bunnys...I haven't been there since I was about 12!

I hear its been relaunched in the last couple of years?

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 09:29 AM »
apparently there is gate practise at Bulwell today (2pm) for anyone who fancies it

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 08:43 AM »
I'm jealous, wish i could still race
ding dong

Rexy

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 02:57 PM »
Right, thanks for all the advice.  I have got a few tracks around (Royston, P'boro, Norwich etc) and will get to those asap. I'll get to Norwich for the regional on the 22nd for a look but wont ride. See you all on a start hill soon.

BTW what da fook is a manual?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Getting into shape for racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx