gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 01:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Kevin Robinson - central park
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kevin Robinson - central park  (Read 2552 times)

yoda

Kevin Robinson - central park
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Did anyone catch the live feed on EXPN.com last night? Was it any good?

macky

Re: Kevin Robinson - central park
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:51 PM »
It's on Youtube already..........

/>
The record attempt..........

/>

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:53 PM by DaveMc. »

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Holy fooking sh1t!
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

macky

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 06:45 PM »
There are a few pics on Vital bmx too...

http://www.vitalbmx.com/features/The-Red-Bull-Experiment-with-Kevin-Robinson,3923

How scary is this...................

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:07 PM by DaveMc. »

Voodoocars

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:59 PM »
All due respect to Kevin.That is pretty awesome.I've just sold Hoffmans Testimony DVD that had Matts record air (26.3 or 23.6 ft cant remember) after being towed by a motorcycle.They should have 'high air' competition using hat set up.

teamsano

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02 PM »
They should give a bunch of riders a week to get used to the ramp then have a shootout.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Thats nowt , you should have seen crazycraig at Preston track on Wednesday. Crazy
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Awesome. I thought he was going to break it at last years X-games.

Brilliant stuff.

yoda

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 08:59 AM »
They should give a bunch of riders a week to get used to the ramp then have a shootout.
I agree, I think there having an invitational contest thing on it over the weekend Gogo.... ???

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:38 AM »
standing on the top of the roll in is extreme enough for me, no fookin way would you get me up there :shocked:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 12:58 PM »
standing on the top of the roll in is extreme enough for me, no fookin way would you get me up there :shocked:

I wouldn't do it now but I'd have had a go when I was riding all the time! I'd have probably killed myself like but I'd have gone out with a smile on my face!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Broggie

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Considering the bloke dont even have to pedal, its hardly a great effort to get that record...just a big ramp...A big  :daumenhoch: for bravery, but I'm sorry absolutely nothing for effort.

Ray.

macky

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:23 AM »
Considering the bloke dont even have to pedal, its hardly a great effort to get that record...just a big ramp...A big  :daumenhoch: for bravery, but I'm sorry absolutely nothing for effort.

Ray.

Do ya reckon high air contests or high air record attempts should be under their own steam??

( pumping a halfpipe to get height or pedal power maybe?? )

I think maybe it's gotten past that point though...

i mean Hoffman had to use a motobike for the speed!!

It still scare's me watching that air though...  he even No hand flaired it!!!  :shocked:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:12 PM by DaveMc. »

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Thats nowt , you should have seen crazycraig at Preston track on Wednesday. Crazy
YEAH MAN  :idiot2:

We should do one at MK  :daumenhoch: and thats means the highest on a bike of course
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

christhejob

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 09:43 AM »
it wasn't the height it was, 24ft tops.. redbull flimflam!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 07:58 PM »

Oh, well that makes all the difference doesn't it!

I can't believe people are leaving negative comments, 24' or 27' either way it's FOOKING HIGH FFS! Combine that with the height of the ramp and he's somewhere in the region of 45' up. That by anyone's standards is fooking impressive.

I may be wrong here so if I am I apologise.....but have you ever rode vert? Because if you have I think you may have a slightly different opinion.

Daz.  ;)

rosscoe

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 08:21 PM »
it is awesome, and dont think the factthat he didnt have to pedal makes any less effort........

hats off to the man for doing it, I get scared stood on our 8'

yoda

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Hmmm.... if you watch any of the vert contest runs now the only time anyone really pedals anyway is when they start they're run and thats along the deck. The height comes from landing smooth and your ability to pump the ramp well. I remember seeing Mat H drop in on a half pipe from a standing start pumping about 7' on his first air then blasting 10'-12' on his second air no pedaling involved.This takes a lot of skill and now stregnth because of the huge transitions.

I dont think anyone was really being negative about this with they're comments.  I believe the original Hoffman efforts did involve a whole different lot of skills cos of the being towed factor but essentialy if Mat's budget in the begining would've stretched to building a huge roll in with containers etc. to aid his efforts for getting more air he would have done this Im sure.
Either way its fkn mental as far as im concerned   :crazy2:

yoda

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Go check out Fatbmx.com for a little story about the weekends shenanigans in central park....DMC 1st place doing it for the oldschool........amazing!

christhejob

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 01:55 PM »

Oh, well that makes all the difference doesn't it!

I can't believe people are leaving negative comments, 24' or 27' either way it's FOOKING HIGH FFS! Combine that with the height of the ramp and he's somewhere in the region of 45' up. That by anyone's standards is fooking impressive.

I may be wrong here so if I am I apologise.....but have you ever rode vert? Because if you have I think you may have a slightly different opinion.

Daz.  ;)
Oh no, I'm not denying how completely high/mad/ballsy it was, and i wouldn't even stand up there. and i suck at vert riding.
It's just that you know redbull will have shoved all the cash in and of course they're going to want him to break the record! So a few cleverly angled pix can make 24 foot seem 27.  The point I am making is i think Hoffman still holds the record.  And if you look at how he did it - sketchiness of run up, the first superramp cobbled together out of offcuts, and how GOOD his airs were,  (the 26 foot one tabled perfectly) and how long ago it was, I would tend to stick to Hoffman's big airs as holding the record.
There's a thread on BMXboard with people in the crowd posing from i-phones (!!!)debating the height.

all respect to anyone who rode it, and nothing to do with the fact K-Rob(!) once put a fatwah on me for a less than complementary contest write-up in Ride..  ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 02:06 PM »
and nothing to do with the fact K-Rob(!) once put a fatwah on me for a less than complementary contest write-up in Ride..  ;)

What did you say Chris, what did you say?  ???

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 04:43 PM »
and nothing to do with the fact K-Rob(!) once put a fatwah on me for a less than complementary contest write-up in Ride..  ;)

What did you say Chris, what did you say?  ???

Yeah yeah....come on, spill the beans  ;)

christhejob

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 04:51 PM »
well. I judged that soulbowl thing at the Millenium Dome.  Me, Barney, Harry, Chris Hamer.
Pre-judging briefing from Steve Swope was "remember guys, this is a bowl contest, not a half-pipe contest, judge it as such"
So in qualifying Mr K-Rob rode  wall-wall-wall-wall, a few variations, and four back to back really forced flairs.  No use of bowl whatsoever, and not a whole bag of style.  Zack rode the whole bowl, corner inverts at about 8 foot, massive body jars around the corner, variations on airs, and good flairs... so totally better use of bowl, way more stylish
I think from the judging KR was in 5th, Zach 4th, obviously Bestwick first, can't remember the rest.   This was qualifying too!!  So the next day for finals we get there and KR has objected to the judging, spat the dummy out, the judges sheets were gone over, me and hamer were taken off the judging, replaced by, er, KR's sponsor Mat Hoffman (who I guess can judge a vert contest pretty well)
I wrote this up in ride saying how sucky and suss it looked.  Not offensive or anything.  Kevin R went nuts on a warped tour that Zach was on "who is this guy? i'm going to knock him out, no talking, just bam!"   :D   best thing was though he thought Chris hamer was me. so safe there.
Funny thing was I was at that manchester LG sat with hamer and harry talking to Kerry Bess when KR came to talk to her too and leant over us.. Zach rang Hamer from the other side of the ramp and started shouting "Chris job is to your left!! get him!!"
anyway.  hope that elucidates enough.  (can't beat time on hands due to ruptured achilles.. which sucks by the way!)

christhejob

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 04:53 PM »
that reads like me and hamer judged Zach above KR because he's our friend.  But we didn't. Zach kicked pinhead shaw halfpipe ass!!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 05:03 PM »
 :) Do you reckon K-Rob`s frame was cracked after that lot??

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Kevin Robinson - central park

gfxgfx
gfx gfx