gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  A short story about Ratty
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A short story about Ratty  (Read 1167 times)

kdubbmx

A short story about Ratty
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:40 PM »
I first met Tony Waye (Ratty) around 1979 when we used to ride all the popular spots around East London together, we rode Hollow Ponds Whipps Cross, Devils Dips Woodford, but most of all we rode the track called the 'Red Rec' in a park at Higham Hill Walthamstow.
Tony played a big part in building that track along with the Wonfor family, Steve & Tom Gilly and Malcolm & Darren Page among others, a lot of riders that ended up national no.1 in their age group started their riding there.
One night in summer 81 we heard that a new gate had been put in at the track & there was to be gate practice that night so myself & (the) Andy Ruffell went over to try it out, when we got there it was very busy with lots of riders ripping around the track, Ratty was up on the gate, as the gate dropped he was so quick out & down the first straight that Andy & i just looked at each other in amazement mouthing 'f**k' to each other!!
We watched him do a few more gates & he looked even quicker! You know someone is putting power down when their tyres make a lot of noise as they go from the gate to the first jump, well his tyres were screaming!!!
At that point Andy was no.1 in the uk & i was no.2 & we were both high profile full factory riders always having our pictures in the mags etc, i dont think Tony was even ranked at that point.
All the riders kept asking us why we weren't riding or doing gates after riding all the way there to do so, we just shrugged & said we 'couldn't be bothered' but in reality we knew that the way Tony was riding that night he'd of blown us away & we didnt want to get shown up by him!!

So you could say that Tony was the fastest rider in the country that night!!!!!!!!!  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:41 PM by kdubbmx »

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: A short story about Ratty
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:03 AM »
great story keith, that's how i remember him,  and he used to

bully me when we was young ;D
For powder coating drop me a pm

kdubbmx

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:07 AM »
Yeah he was a big bully, used to pick on Nicky  Matthews too!!!!!!!!!  ;) ;)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:10 AM »
hows things keith, do you remember me  pat and superbike :daumenhoch:

kdubbmx

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:14 AM »
I do now!! Just realised who you are, i have picture of you standing with Mark Cook (mongoose team rider) at Picketts Lock race in 1983.
Was Pat the shop owner & wasnt my buddy (lol) Simon the manager there??

Been a long time eh??  :)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I do now!! Just realised who you are, i have picture of you standing with Mark Cook (mongoose team rider) at Picketts Lock race in 1983.
Was Pat the shop owner & wasnt my buddy (lol) Simon the manager there??

Been a long time eh??  :)

lol ;D pat was my mate,  nutty pat, and yes simon lol your buddy ;) remember it well

was the manager,  keith was the owner :daumenhoch:

keith i'd love to see that pic

kdubbmx

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:27 AM »
My computer skills dont stretch to posting pictures on here so i'll give it to Tony next week when he's home from hosp & i'm sure he'll post it up or email it to you.
Do you remember Sandra? she's still in Canada living in a big house overlooking lake ontario moaning about paying 45p a litre for petrol saying she misses England (if only she knew!)  8)

nic968

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01 AM »
 Great story there...
 I still don't know how he gets out of the gate so fast these days..Possibly a body mass - gravity thing.. ;)
 To still be so involved all these years on is also admirable. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:58 PM by nic968 »

kdubbmx

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:05 PM »
When Tony gets back into shape with this healthy eating plan i've given him, WATCH OUT 40+, he's coming for ya!!!  :2gunsfiring_v1:

Rooonga

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:18 PM »
  I still don't know how he gets out of the gate so fast these days..Possibly a body mass - gravity thing.. ;)

He is scary fast out of the gate!

Twatty

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Keith. If you have a whole bunch of pictures to post, then pop round mine. I have a scanner, know how, and everything you need to get them all posted.  Id love to get first look anyway.  :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 11:31 PM »
Thanks Keith, that is a great story, and thanks for the support you have given me and Nikki in the last few months.
I cant wait to get out riding again, I guess it will be a while before I can ride hard again, but I will be back, maybe just not for a while :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

kamodo

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48 PM »
I rember Mark Cook turning up at Burgess Hill track (some where in East Sussex) in about 85-86. He screeched into the carpark in a clapped out 3 litre capri,making a big entrance, he had a big attitude and was a bit agressive to us "country folk". He intimidated the hell out of me and most the others in the 17+ that day. He was even more aggro at the end of the day when  me and Neil Bass beat him fair and square (he moaned about the "stupid long track")

BOBLAMBO

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 11:55 PM »
RATTY TOPMAN

kdubbmx

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 12:00 AM »
I rember Mark Cook turning up at Burgess Hill track (some where in East Sussex) in about 85-86. He screeched into the carpark in a clapped out 3 litre capri,making a big entrance, he had a big attitude and was a bit agressive to us "country folk". He intimidated the hell out of me and most the others in the 17+ that day. He was even more aggro at the end of the day when  me and Neil Bass beat him fair and square (he moaned about the "stupid long track")

Sounds just like mark that!! lol. He's allright really when you get to know him but your description fits pretty well!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 12:04 AM »
keith back to last nights chat,  was sandra,   the girl ::)

kdubbmx

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 12:38 AM »
Yes Dan, she was the girl all the fuss was over!!! when she & her family emigrated to Canada they ended up running the racing/clubs/tracks over there & became pretty big in bmx.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  A short story about Ratty

gfxgfx
gfx gfx