gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Which racers for Kids? Some Advice Please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which racers for Kids? Some Advice Please  (Read 685 times)

Paulo

Which racers for Kids? Some Advice Please
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:07 PM »

I've got an 8 yo boy and a 10yo girl (going on 12). They are getting into the BMX scene at the Western Titans Club in Clydebank (anyone interested come down...it's the dogs B's) and really enjoying it but they need new bikes.

At the moment the lad is riding a Schwinn I put together for him. Fine for the road but the frame is too long for the track, and my daughter is on my Aero Reflex. Hardly ideal.

So OS or NS? Junior, Expert or full size? Budget is around £200 for each bike. What should I be looking at?

Any advice?

Cheers

P.

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Which racers for Kids? Some Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:20 PM »
 :) Think full size would be too big for both.Haro,Kuwahara,Redline all have decent bikes in plenty of sizes,DK have a few but the Redlines are a lot of bike for the money plus the build quality is fantastic.All that I have mentioned are quite a bit more than £200 though.Sure other RADsters can help with advice,maybe even a good deal on a bike or 2! Might be an idea if you can get down to a local club & let the kids try a few bikes to get a feel for the size.

Good Luck! 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:28 PM by HEYWOOD BMX »

Moschops

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Junior expert for your boy and expert XL for your girl. Both may need a smaller stem put on them to start with, but it makes the life of the bike that much longer that its worth doing.

Redline bikes have good speck parts on them.

Khuwahara are nice as well.

You may find last years colours in your price range.

www.customriders.co.uk

www.sourcebmx.co.uk

www.greenmachinebmx.com

www.grooveracingshop.co.uk

Paulo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:54 PM »

Sorted. Plumbed for the Kuwahara Novas. They ticked all the boxes. Size, spec and cost. They arrived yesterday and put them together this morning. One junior and one expert. The kids love them and watching them ride em just up the road and back you can tell what a difference getting the right sized bike makes.

So off to Clydebank tomorrow for the next meet. Let's see if they go any faster.... :-\

Thanks for those who got in contact and provided advice. It was spot on  :daumenhoch:

A word of warning though. I eventually got the bikes from Chain Reaction Cycles (48 hr free delivery and the best price) but it was the 4th place I had tried. All the previous suppliers suggested the bikes were in stock but the weren't. Even one on ebay. I learned pretty quick to ask before placing the order. Kuwahara currently has 6 week delivery time. So big up Chain Reaction  :4_17_5: but be careful. Don't assume bikes and parts are in stock and always ask before placing an order.

proclass35

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 03:11 PM »
You wont go far wrong with the Kuwaharas mate. The geometry is spot on and the spec level is excellent for the price. You might want to make a few tweaks as you go along- I put a Sinz bottom bracket in and changed the headset/forks, but they'll be fine for the time being. Good luck with the racing and tell your kids to enjoy themselves...and we'll maybe see you at the nationals next year!

Paulo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:57 PM »

That was on the bay a couple of weeks back with a lovely Robinson. Both look fabulous. Better than the NS, but they were starting at £200 rather than £160. I missed the end of the auction so I didn't know whether they had sold. Was tempted to send Alan a pm but got into the Kuwa's so didn't bother in the end.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Which racers for Kids? Some Advice Please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx