gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting a Pro Class disc to 401's.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fitting a Pro Class disc to 401's.  (Read 656 times)

GREMLIN

Fitting a Pro Class disc to 401's.
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Hey lads.  :)

I want to swap the Redline bubble script i have on my PL-20 with a Pro Class power disc for a bit of a change.

Obviously i'm going to need a top hat adaptor/shim for the spindle, which i need to source.

What i need to know is, will the Power Disc fit straight into place on the cranks?
As in..
Will the disc need any filing down etc to fit the stub?
Will the spindle adaptor take up the margin to the front of the drive arm or will seperate spacers be needed to allign the disc?   ???   

Thanx,   Grem'.  :daumenhoch:             

SaMAlex

Re: Fitting a Pro Class disc to 401's.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:46 PM »
401 arms have a location stud where the arm bolts to the chainring. On flight rings there is a counter bored hole for this stub but most other rings/discs dont have this. When I wanted to fit other rings to 401s I cut off the location stub off the crank arm altogether. It solved the problem but flight rings never fitted on as nice after (I put them on backwards to get round it).

If the brim part of the top hat spacer is the right width then it would probably be OK, but they all always seem different sizes to me.

Hope that helps.

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:46 PM »
I have a set of 401's here and a PC power plate, just tried em and yeah you will need to make the location hole bigger to get it to fit the plate. possibly place a bubblescript chainwheel over the powerdisk and mark it up first.....you will also need a shim for the spindle, its like a clowns pocket ;)

GREMLIN

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Thanx lads.  ;)

I did wonder if the front/shim part of the spacer would be thick enough push the arm out to meet the plate straight on.
I've no issues with adapting the Power Plate to match the drive arm, so will jump up into the loft and grab it in a mo.

G.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:22 PM »
I did wonder if the front/shim part of the spacer would be thick enough push the arm out to meet the plate straight on.

Mmm good point, the thickness of the shim could be the same as the thickness of the plate which may work, would just be a bit off centre with the rear end but should be fine :daumenhoch:

I don't have a shim off a bike or would try it for ya, sorry mate :-[

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:28 PM »

Thats what I meant, but I called it the Brim of the top hat spacer  :daumenhoch:

GREMLIN

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:34 PM »
I'll hang fire on doing anything 'til i sort myself an adaptor. Then i can work to what i have in front of me.  :)
Thanx again lads  :daumenhoch:   G.

GREMLIN

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:34 PM »
I've just offered all the bits up (minus adapter) and it looks like if the brim of the top hat is about 3mm in thickness then it will all fall together nicely. With the stub of the flight arm resting against the front of the Power disc. Not needing any filing down of the plate locator hole either... Which is a bonus  ;)  G.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting a Pro Class disc to 401's.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx