gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 06:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fly brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fly brakes  (Read 1528 times)

muttley

Fly brakes
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:54 AM »
Anyone done a setup guide for them at all, or any tips  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

Re: Fly brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:01 AM »
They are the same setup as any U brake. Several ways of doing the cable routing.

The only thing Id say is to "toe in" the blocks like crazy! The brake works great even if only the front edge of the block is touching the rim, but they tend to squeal like a pig if you dont. I hate noisy brakes!

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:04 PM »
They are the same setup as any U brake. Several ways of doing the cable routing.

The only thing Id say is to "toe in" the blocks like crazy! The brake works great even if only the front edge of the block is touching the rim, but they tend to squeal like a pig if you dont. I hate noisy brakes!

Gonna give this a try, mine squeal like fook...  :(

Which way do you 'toe in' the blocks, toward the direction the wheel rotates?

Sorry if it sounds a dumb question...  :-[

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:10 PM »
toeing in of the blocks means that you set up the blocks so that when you pull the brake, the front edge of the blocks touch the rim first  :daumenhoch:

subversion

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:50 PM »
I usually toe in my blocks using a bit of folded cardboard to the desired thickness. put it between the back of the block & the rim. After you set up the brake & hold the brake on & pull the rim you will see the back edge of the blocks move in towards the rim with the forward motion of the wheel. If you don't toe in your blocks the back edge of the block is taking all the brake pressure from the forward motion & that's when you get chatter (yuk)...

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Hey, Ian. Fire up that link to your blog with my PTFE tape trick. Im not totally sure how well it works, and the tape gets bunched up quite quickly, but when brakes are making loads of noise, anything is worth a go.

subversion

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Righto i gave it a go...

I loosened off the pads, pulled the brake on with a ten pence piece under the back edge of the pads and tightened em back up.

Just been round the block on the bike, still a slight squeak but nowhere near the racket i was used to...

Cheers for the tip...  :daumenhoch:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:06 PM »
http://subversionbmxblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/more-mods.html

:daumenhoch:

Thats quality ^^^

My brake arms are quite loose on the frame.... and its a fly frame!!!

You'd think they're own brakes would fit!

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I really like fly stuff, and I think they do a great job of pushing BMX design. But I do think they have problems making parts. It seems like most fly brakes are loose on the posts, hence the noise. Ive also heard things about some of their frames not being right. Shame really. I wonder how much they are in control of their manufacturing.

subversion

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:11 PM »
I've just set up a Suelo front & the fork posts are a little long so it has some play in it. Going to get a file on the mofo at the weekend >:D

Voodoocars

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 09:26 PM »
I've had squeaky a brake for ages.I tried that ptfe tape thing- no good.I've even shimmed the brake posts on the frame so that there is no play at all- still no good.Toed in the pads- still no good. Full face helmet- result ! Cant hear the squeal any more!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52 AM »
or what you could do is spend a fraction of the cost and get a Hombre which just simply work??   ;)

subversion

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 03:03 PM »
In my experience Hombre's aren't HALF as good as a Fly brake :) (got a pair for sale cheap if anybody wants them?) Like you Pickle, I couldn't seem to justify the outlay initially but use them for a while & I doubt you'd go back...?

Voodoocars I take it you are running Fly's? If so are they CS or SS mounted? The brake is reacting diiferently depending on the frame position it's being used on... :daumenhoch:

I know Ray900tap uses a fly on CS without toe in & his brake is noisy as shit but he likes the 'bite' you get when running them that way...

Each to his/hers eh....

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 03:05 PM »
that's fair do's mate, i've never ran one so i guess i only know Hombre's or EvoII's

Voodoocars

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10 PM »
No- I've got an Hombre on.I did think about getting a fly but cant be bothered.The problem with mine are the pads.They are ACOR clear pads on black rims and work really well.I've tried others  that dont squeal but just dont work very well.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Just been interact at burnley, after adjusting the pads last night... fine no squeal anymore but the brake aint as good...  :(

Think i'll put em back as they were, instant wheel lock with one finger... noisy as feck though...  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 10:20 PM »
try toeing them in a little less. Its probably cos their aint much block face hitting the rim now.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 08:01 AM »
and also give em a rub with some sand paper in case they have developed a shene on the them  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fly brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx