gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Wot, no Brixton thread yet?!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wot, no Brixton thread yet?!  (Read 7864 times)

dialledbikes

Wot, no Brixton thread yet?!
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Another top day in the South Region.

Thought the track was fun to race on.  Not the most pristine/perfect track, but still enjoyable and close to race on.

Well done to Spillers on that A-final.  Well deserved in my book cos you've really upped your game since I first met you at the Brits, Lee  :daumenhoch:

Roonga did good too, finally putting the injuries behind him and just missing out on the A-final against Phil in the run-off.  Wicked snap out of the gate Paul and here's hoping you remain uninjured to continue the progression.

Lots of other good performances and positives to be taken from the meeting.  Really enjoyed it.

And well done to Ratty and Nick for stepping up to 40+ from old school.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Wot, no Brixton thread yet?!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Old school was closer than I think it's ever been. I think me and Paul were pretty evenly matched all day.

Good to see Red Bull make an apperance as well. The young lady from Red Bull was particularly nice as well.  :daumenhoch:

Still prefer Relentless though Mike.  :LolLolLolLol: 

QuadPaul

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14 AM »
Yes what an amazing days racing, 1st straight as said before could do with a few tweeks but overall really liked the track. The meeting went really well and had a great atmosphere with loads of Joe public stopping to spectate whilst in the park, a great advert for BMX racing. Some real close racing in loads of the classes, well done to all involved with Brixton BMX club :daumenhoch:

The racing between me and Zipps (Mr Red Bull  :LolLolLolLol:) today was soooo close it was untrue, 3 races were decided by the width of a fag paper :daumenhoch:

Also well done Crooch on taking 3rd place in the OS A final, Roonga on winning his 1st B Final @ 40+ (unlucky not to make the A after trying to face plant :LolLolLolLol:).

Mike Well done on making the A Final, watched all the 40+ action today and you was looking really quick in the moto's.  :4_17_5:

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Cheers Paul.  A couple of big names missing from the 40+ yesterday (Jon Moore, Tony Slater and Gary Gray had to leave early), but still feels good to make the A.

Yeah, forgot to mention that not only did Roonga just miss out the A-final, but he made up for it by winning the B-final.

Very close between you and Zippy.  Every lap was a fight to the finish line  :daumenhoch:

moomin

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:11 AM »
It was great to finally get to race at Brixton, you can see the club have worked hard and with some extra grants etc they will be progress even further.

I think the club seem very restricted by the park which TBH was the only downer on yesterday, the caterers were awful, but this is a park licensing thing so beyond the clubs control, and the parking thing with not allowing us to leave before 5pm was a mare for anyone with a long journey  :idiot2:

A pointer for the club maybe is to take advantage of the offer of help in advance, there seemed to be some scrabbling for volunteers when help had been offered prior to the event and could have been taken up to improve organisation/arrange cover of jobs before the day :daumenhoch:

All toll tho we had a crack, oh, and sorry for the lack of pics guys, we left the camera at home  :idiot2: :crazy2: :'(

thecrooch

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Was going to start a what rocked thread last night but too tired!!! and i dont think it would be fair to start listing all the negatives on an excellent day for a club hosting its first regional.

But get the start hill (contradictions in terms) and first two sets of whoops sorted and you'll go a long way....

in general i loved the track - they've got the berms spot on with loads of races being decided on who took the banks the best (personally i had to come from behind on all my races so to finish 3rd (my best result by far) im chuffed to bits...  oh one of the best Rhythm sections as well - watching the guy that creamed the 19+ take those was a highlight of the day.  skills and bills etc.

oh and thanks to everyone who pissed themselves when i nearly tore my bike off the roof trying to get out of the car park!!!

im off to Italy on thursday to ride mtb's in Finale...  see you all at hayes...  :coolsmiley:

martin1970

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Hey guys, spent hours in A&E last night, nothing broken, just a nasty bit of road rash a sore shoulder, and a telling off from the doctor "Your too old to ride a BMX".
Maybe I am getting to old, I don't bounce like I used to.

Right then i'm off to buy some body armour.
Martin.

Rooonga

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I had a cracking day there yesterday!

Loved the crowds watching the racing - they seemed to get into it. And the Brixton crew were great!

Only bit of the track I didn't get on with was that double/table thingy on the 1st straight.  I didn't really not like it TBH - just the backside to it was a bit to steep for me, and in the run off I missed the bacside completely landing on the flat, pushing my bars about a foot forward. I felt I was doing really well right up to then.

Downside for the day was seeing Martin go down - glad to hear it wasn't too bad - but it looked HARD!

Enjoyed the flat start hill though (Think I'm the only one LOL!) - it proved that you had pull. To get to the front you really needed some power in those legs!

Great to see Spillers getting to the A final, and Mike, it looks like you're gonna be there for the rest of the season!

Great day all round!

:daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Hey guys, spent hours in A&E last night, nothing broken, just a nasty bit of road rash a sore shoulder, and a telling off from the doctor "Your too old to ride a BMX".
Maybe I am getting to old, I don't bounce like I used to.

Right then i'm off to buy some body armour.
Martin.

unfortunately its always the way.... horse and bolted mate... looking forward to seeing you join us american footballers on bikes..... - glad nothing broken... looked bloody nasty that one....

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I thought you'd done your collerbone by the way you were holding it when led on the floor.

Your right though us oldies don't bounce like we used to.

Pop along to Chainreactioncycles and buy some of their brand X body armour for £60. Great value for money and it works. :daumenhoch:

I think the start 'hill' needs some work and the aforementioned first double/tabletop. However I thought the club did an amazing job and it was one of the most chilled out atmosphere races I'd done in a long time. It was like Hersden on a far bigger scale. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and they all looked chuffed as hell to have put on such a great meeting, and rightly so, I had a great time. At this rate I might even rethink my retirement plans.  :LolLolLolLol:

wojy

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 10:28 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback, it was a brilliant day for the club and hopefully the first of many more, even the park rangers I spoke to were smiling.   I have been pushing A.D to mellow out the backside of that "Double/table thingy" on the first straight, it messes me up all the time! I will see what I can do.
I hope injuries and handlebars recover fully. 8)

Marc (Brixton rider and track digger)

oldmankev

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Initially i hated the small start and gate angle, but its the same for
everyone, i put on a very spinny gear (39-18) and it seemed to
work as i dont have the biggest legs but still had pull down the
straight.

dialledbikes

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Martin, glad to hear nothing's broken.  Hope to see you back on your bike soon.  Body armour ain't cool, but as I was saying in the car park yesterday, it's a good bit of insurance for us older blokes who don't bounce as well as we used to.  If you don't want to go the whole hog at first, perhaps get some elbow/forearm pads.

Zippy what's this talk of retiring?  You're getting faster every meeting.  Not only near the top of the OS class, but if you'd stuck with 30-39 cruiser you would've been top 3 in that as well.

thecrooch

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 01:02 PM »
sorry for the lack of pics guys, we left the camera at home  :idiot2: :crazy2: :'(

so does anyone know who was taking the pics yesterday - was a bloke in the middle of the track all day - looked sorta professional?

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 01:28 PM »
That was Billy Wright who takes pics for 2024 mag (a free mag they hand out at nationals) and BCF.  If there's a report about the Brixton regional on the BCF site, they'll more than likely use Billy's photos.

nic968

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 02:38 PM »
 Had a great day yesterday..First race for a while,and first time out on the cruiser..Had a blast..
 Almost lost it in the B final but back on the pedals for third,happy with that.Some good battles with Roonga and Dave too...
 Looking forward to more of the same soon.... :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:28 PM »
And that's a really nice bike you were on Nick  :daumenhoch:

Not seen a HH Racing frame in the flesh before.  Loving the clean and simple lines.  Pure BMX.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 03:46 PM »
On the lookout for one now as that was a very clean and classy frame you had there Nic.

nic968

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 04:13 PM »
 Thanks guys..Shame my riding isn't as smooth..But I'll get there..I'll try and get some pics up soon...

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Brixton rocked, a challanging race with a fantastic atmosphere. After all the horror stories about the track I was expecting the worst, but tbh a good track which could be a great track with a few alterations.

I lost my 40+ virginity and have to say I enjoyed every minute of it. Looking forward to getting my fitness back and actually trying.

Well done Zippy and Quad, close and exciting racing in the OS.

Off to Hersden next week, I hope I start getting the fizz back in my riding, its very depressing watching the races from the back :(

Glad your OK Martin, me and Zippy thought you had broke something, so its good news you havent  :daumenhoch:

A long time ago, in a land far away!

dialledbikes

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 06:30 PM »
You did well in the second moto, Ratty  ;) ;D

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 06:40 PM »
I was all over em Mike >:D >:D

Just for the record, we did come clean and my result was adjusted accordingly.  :2funny:

Best bit was even the queen didn't know, she was cheering for me >:D  >:D

Oh sorry to the 40+ guys he were invovled in that moto, we wont do it again :angel:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Twatty

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 07:01 PM »
A good days racing in all. I was pretty put off by the track in practice, and thought it was going to be a bit of a shoddy day, (not helped by quite a stack in practice). How wrong I was. Once against your own class the lack start hill meant you had to try even harder out the gate. I agree with the comment about the berms also, great for swoops, and clean passing lines.

One thing that is a shame about the lack of start hill is that the first doubles, and probably the tripple, woud be great to jump with a bit more speed into them. I did see some of the more natural jumpers clearing them, but for me just needed that extra turn of speed that would have been given by even a 2 meter hill.

Thanks to all @ Brixton club for a good day....

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 07:20 PM »
we wont do it again :angel:

Too bl***y right you won't.  My suggested disciplinary report is winging it's way to the Fed and you'll hear from them idc!!   ;)  Good to hear Martin's OK.  Interesting track and I have to say on my one lap at the end I found it quite rideable.  However I do have issues re manoeverability around within it as it really wasn't easy - far too many dips and loose surface.  But it was a great starter meeting and with a few changes it should be OK for the future.  And the Club's hospitality tent with jerk chicken & rice was yummy!!  Humps

dialledbikes

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 07:26 PM »
In all the excitement, I didn't even see who finished where in 40+.  I assume Keith won (looking fast all day and I think he was the only person in our class to jump the triple cleanly).  Me and Spillers got 7th and 8th.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Wot, no Brixton thread yet?!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx