gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  US racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: US racing  (Read 966 times)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
US racing
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:09 PM »
popped over to the local track when i was on my jollies to check out how the yanks do it

the track is huge with a lake and a in the middle,they have an announcer commentating at all the races/practices,a mist tent spraying you with cool water after a race,there was a bout 100+ riders,floodlights all this just for a gate practices.

bought myself 2nd hand  mcs cruiser might have a play next time i'm out there

priv

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: US racing
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Speak to Quadpaul, he joined in a race when he went, they lent him a bike :shocked:

dialledbikes

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I'll hopefully race in the US when I'm out there on hols in August.  Found an NBL track just 10/15 minutes drive from my brother-in-laws house and they have club races 3 times per week (twice a week when there's a regional/national weekend).

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Would I be right in assuming that most of the US tracks are on private land rather than at the mercy of the local scrots to trash??  It's the way to go but who could afford it here in the UK.  Humps

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:17 PM »
That's right Humps.  Most tracks are closed to the public except on official club days/nights and race days.

ABA and NBL make a lot of money from BMX so can afford to put their tracks in better places than we have here in the UK.

Tanglewood is my local US track and it's in a really nice country park:  http://www.forsyth.cc/tanglewood/

Best way I can describe it is like imagine having a BMX track in the middle of Richmond Park.  Would never happen over here.  Herne Bay really is the nicest setting for a BMX track I've ever been to in the UK.

jonpaul11

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:30 PM »
ABA and NBL make a lot of money from BMX

There must be some learnings that can be taken on by the BCF over here?

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:13 AM »

..just what i was thinking as i read through the posts  ???

Looks like a great track as well Priv  :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:06 AM »

I think the main problem we have in this country is rider count.  We only average about 400 riders per national over here.  They probably get more than that at some regional/state races out there.

Race fees are also more expensive over there.

I think the main thing that needs to happen in this country is more promotion of BMX racing at grass roots level.  Get the kids into club racing and regionals first, then hopefully the sport will grow on the national scene too.

nic968

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 05:21 PM »
 That track looks excellent..Where in the US is it?
 It definitely doesn't look like the out of the way scrub land the councils reluctently give up over here..
 But as Mike said,it probably makes money and can be used all year,even at night(floodlit?)That's a whole other level to our scene in the UK.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 06:53 PM »
we have a track just like that over here, its called bristol bmx track they have a lake in the middle of there track at the moment  :LolLolLolLol:

magna13

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 07:01 PM »
we have a track just like that over here, its called bristol bmx track they have a lake in the middle of there track at the moment  :LolLolLolLol:
very true, mark went in to a little lake hiself on sunday jai  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

revcore

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50 AM »
Now thats how I'd like my backyard to look :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  US racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx