gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 08:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Dirtbike decals, what year?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dirtbike decals, what year?  (Read 1182 times)

firebird4130

Dirtbike decals, what year?
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:38 AM »

Can anyone tell me what year these decals were about, I seem to remember having them on a grey dirtbike I got off my mate.

Thanks

nosepickben

Re: Dirtbike decals, what year?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:00 AM »
I would say 94-95. I got a fresh 2nd hander at start of '96 that had same decals.

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Id think they were earlier than that, more like 92. A friend of mine got a dirtbike direct from S&M in 92ish and it had those decals. They are the "Budwiser" decals, cos of the red shape behind the text.

It's also follows cos the bike in that photo has got pre-pitch forks (if they are S&M forks), GT power series cranks, and the frame doesnt have a U brake, it might even be a mk1 dirtbike (U brakes were an option on the mk2s from around 92/93).

firebird4130

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:52 PM »
ahh, so those wouldn't really be suitable for the one I've got with 990 mounts, do you have any pics with all the dirtbike decals, I can't seem to get hold of those other ones I wanted.

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:56 PM »
do you have any pics with all the dirtbike decals,

All?! There were loads of them!!! Id say there might have been 10 different versions. They did make the dirtbike for a good few years, (and more to come too!).

firebird4130

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Some would be helpfull, like 94 ish

cheers

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:11 PM »
I dont have many dirtbike decal scans. Have a look on some "other web sites"  ::). Most of them have a "show us your S&Ms" thread in Mid school. There is the S&M section in the RADBMX Museum too.

nosepickben

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:45 PM »
I stand corrected! My chrome 'un was earlier than i thought. It did have 990 mounts though and mk1 gsport chesney forks with dongers. Heavy as fook.

firebird4130

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:07 PM »
thanks nosepickben ,that's helpful too. Do you have any pics of it?

cheers

nosepickben

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:21 AM »
no pics. i can remember exact set up though. i got it off matt warren. He had his ?zima? stolen just before a trip to america late '95. He bought the dirtbike 2nd hand whilst in states and rode it while he was there. He returned home + bought a new frame, think it may have been a condor and sold me the dirtbike for next to fook all. I rode it for a year until it cracked in the usual place then sold it to stu frith for the same price i bought it for 12 months earlier. sorry stu. The frame was subsequently cut up to use the bb shell and downtube for a homemade frame. god knows where that is now...
I now have a shiny yellow dirtbike, kinda 92 "ride on" style - mags, knobblies, sprocket pocket, pegless. It will be under my ass in milton keynes.

firebird4130

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36 AM »
great history! the yellow one sounds cool,I like that style with the mag on the front, used to have that set up on one of my old soul bro's.

Miko

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 07:34 PM »
That bike pictured is actually a Holmes with DirtBike decals, IIRC.  I bought a DB in that green with those decals in the Spring of 1992.  I never really rode it THAT hard but all the paint fell off within a year.  I ended up buying a set of the same decals, stripping it, and painting it lavender.  It was the gayest DirtBike in Detroit. 

Those decals are silly hard to find now.  Even on a frame, they're just not found.  I'd pay some good money for a set.  Relive those simpler times, right?

firebird4130

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53 PM »
yeah I thought about those ones for a while but what I really want is the set that has a yellow skull on the headtube and the shovel etc, do you know any way I can get hod of a set or scans?
Thanks a lot.

Miko

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28 PM »
The "Dookie" DirtBike?

Your best bet is to ask Ryan Partridge.  He may have some scans or better pictures of his set.  (The one's pictured.)

firebird4130

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34 PM »
yeah thats the ones I asked him but He said it may take a while as he's away. I didn't know it was the greenday cover that inspired the downtube one till I read it on I think bmx museum or somewhere. That's cool I sprayed my frame green and it came out more like the greenday background colour

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 09:44 PM »
I wonder if Scooter Jay did those decals. He was a big Green day fan in the early 90s.

firebird4130

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 12:37 PM »
yeah it's a shame you can't just get scans of the original artwork

teamsano

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 09:50 PM »
its the first i realised those decals were green day inspired. :(

the budweiser ones were indeed earlier, i'd say mid 92-early 93, as those were the ones on ian morris' first dirt bike (the orange one)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Dirtbike decals, what year?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx