gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 08:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  my custom build -THE BEGINNING (the way IT was)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: my custom build -THE BEGINNING (the way IT was)  (Read 1084 times)

justin

my custom build -THE BEGINNING (the way IT was)
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:25 PM »
I know its not a pro this is the way i bought it nearly 25yrs ago so i had to rebuild it, please keep me posted with your opinion's cheers justin.

I hope yous like it  (MY FINISHED CUSTOM BUILD) I would just thank every one who helped me out with part's & links, JASON kinseally autos with helping me out with all the paint work: (all part's Subaru Impreza blue Ral:o2c) (wheels Peugot Royal Blue PVC Ral:5005) Vert-ego :DIA-Compe MX,Tioga Spider,Seat Post,Knarler Knobby Tyres, Steve@esemdesign custom pad set, Johnny Bmxman custom decals, Tubler Steel for re chromeing, d14vd-h Raleigh/Haro Plate,jezza Aeroyal/v Bar's, Dubcherub AME Grips, Duffy Cycles Peaddles, hallfords chain/tensioners,  :smitten:

she is an (original) tange frame but by who ?  serial no : T4088797 or T4083797.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:30 PM by justin »

BmxBandito

Re: my custom build -THE BEGINNING (the way IT was)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Savage mate, looks brilliant, how long did it take?

justin

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:54 PM »
cheers mate it took me just over 3 month's but worth the wait (i think) here is some info that might interest you about bmx frames !

Ive have been doing some reserch on my (original) Tange frame through various different restro bmx / museum sites from all over the world. This is what I have learned. Please post me what you think of my info! cheers justin.

So she's is definately a Tange (original) and not a Laserlite/Kuwahara because these frames all seem to have a flat rear brake bridge my one is round like the aero-pro, im being told from all over the world uk/aus/can that raleigh based the aero-pro on this (oringinal) Tange frame,Though many do not like to admit it the "Tange" and "Koizumi" frames used by Kuwahara are the frames used by Raleigh as well ! Perhaps the brake bridges were different as the frame manufacturers often change items like gussets and dropouts to suit who the consignment was for. Raleigh's later frames, with an R in the gussets, were a copy of these earlier frames and were made in factories that officially were Raleigh factories but in fact made frames for just about everybody. Most were made in the Malaysian factory which is indicated by an M at the start of the serial number but were often stickered as made in wherever they were sold. Different serial number sequences were often requested so it makes it hard to identify where a frame was made and even harder to convince someone it came from the same factory as a well known bike. In the UK the Aero Pro is more sought after than Kuwahara but it is the opposite elsewhere.
I think the Laserlite is newer than these frames which were used in 83, 84 & part of 85, I do remember seeing pics of two Aero Pros side by side that had the different dropouts, one like mine and one with the longer dropouts, but I cannot find the site it was on. It was a Raleigh site though and I assumed at the time that one was a Tange frame and the other the Koizumi because they differed.
I have come across huge obstacles in trying to find information on Raleighs, no one wants to talk, but through a friend on the net and his contacts I have uncovered a lot of info. I have had this info confirmed in most instances but owners of all the big names take offence when told that their bike was not made where everybody assumes it was made. I tend not to bother any more as it just stirs up trouble which I do not want to do, I'm here for the fun of it. The companies Raleigh used are not the only ones around, there were dozens of different manufacturers. It is entirely possible that the same guy at a given factory welded up Redlines, GTs, Diamondbacks and Raleighs in different time periods. There were also often surplus frames, for all makes, that were sold off to the highest bidder very cheaply but with no branded parts like gussets or dropouts. These frames were then put together and sold off as cheap bikes. Every now and then you see these bikes with very good welds on the frame tubes but shockingly tacked on dropouts and gussets which were obviously not welded by the same people,
Tange serial numbers were not always on the BB, they may well have been for most Raleighs in the UK but Tange frames did not only come from Japan (shhh don't tell anybody that or they will get angry and call you names) 
I was speaking to a guy in Australia and he has a Raleigh bike with a Tange Aero frame, flat brake bridge and different rear dropouts than used anywhere else but identical geomety to the Aero Pro. Nobody on any Raleigh site has seen one like it before, Like mine !
I also found out Raleigh had a manufacturer in Ireland. The serial numbers for Irish frames started with a D. What I also discovered is that most of the info available on Raleighs relates to bikes sold in England only. The rest of the world seems to have a mixture of frame styles all stickered as the same bike which do not fit in with the normal identification details. In Australia they have Raleigh bikes that looked the same as the early Burners, with the round tubing, going under the name "Raleigh Magnum" but they had different dropouts to the bikes in the UK . The dropouts were the same as this guys Raleigh Tange Frame Bike in Australia !
I also found out that on Bikes sold from "Nottingham England" under the headtube badges the Bird it read "Nottingham England" and the one's used for export or sold in other parts of the world had ////////////// under the Bird, cheers again justin.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Lovely mate, really like it, especially like the painted alloy hubbed tuffs... beautiful job  :smitten: :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Is that artificial grass? :-\

justin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:11 PM »
cheers swive, and who's that about the grass munners ? what about the restro ? (its astro turf ;))
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:15 PM by justin »

steve Beech TA

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:23 PM »

Thats loverly mate, well done on that :smitten: :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  my custom build -THE BEGINNING (the way IT was)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx