gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 03:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Help With Seized Pedels??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help With Seized Pedels??  (Read 1243 times)

Old_Skool71

Help With Seized Pedels??
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:07 PM »
K....i'm trying to get the pedels off my GT, problem is they have totally seized after 17 years, is there anything better than WD40 to try and loosen them?

Cheers
Andrew :daumenhoch:

moley

Re: Help With Seized Pedels??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Leverage!!!!

Using a small handled spanner wont help.

The longer the handle the easier it will be (unless they are really welded on).

Remember the spanner turns towards the back of the bike on both sides.

I can't remember the number of times I have tried loosening pedals when I have really been tightening them up.

If they are really stuck I have used a hammer to whack the spanner.  But be careful of using this technique as you could whack your frame or the spanner could spring off and do some damage.

Good luck!!!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 03:23 PM »
if you can get a bar to go over the end of the spanner to give you more leverage that's always a good trick  :daumenhoch:

Old_Skool71

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Leverage!!!!

Using a small handled spanner wont help.

The longer the handle the easier it will be (unless they are really welded on).

Remember the spanner turns towards the back of the bike on both sides.

I can't remember the number of times I have tried loosening pedals when I have really been tightening them up.

If they are really stuck I have used a hammer to whack the spanner.  But be careful of using this technique as you could whack your frame or the spanner could spring off and do some damage.

Good luck!!!

I feel like a twat now, i doubled checked and i was tightening them up :uglystupid2:

But these babies are still rock solid, tried leverage, tried a hammer...even poured coke over them, but they aint goin nowhere :(

moley

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55 PM »
The extended lever trick that pickle posted works.

Any Metal tube (scaffolding pole) etc that will fit around your spanner will work.

I can't remember the maths but its something like Twice the length of lever = Twice as easy.

A 12ft scaffolding pole should do the trick!!!

Although you might need an extra pair of hands though!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 04:03 PM »
If you use too long a pole though, you can round off either the spanner, or the pedal shaft.

If found the best method is to soak them with liquid wrench (plusgas) dismantling spray, keep doing it every day for about a week, then use the best quality spanner you can buy (handy again in the future) with the pole over the end.

if you dont want the pedals, you can grind the axles off after the spanner faces, and the heat from the grinder, combined with the plusgas will help as well.
I want to touch ORB

adam01

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Have you tried putting some Liquid Wrench on the spindleand letting it sit overnight? You can pick up that stuff at any hardware store.

If that doesn't work, what kind of pedal is it? If it's a Shimano, or Time you can buy a replacement axle. If it's worth replacing, that might be your only option.

If you choose to do that, you'll have more to grab on to if you remove the pedal body. After that, find yourself a good vice, couple rags, and a pair of vice-grips. Wrap the crank arm in the rags, CAREFULLY clamp in vice, and grab the spindle with the vice-grip. If your ingenious, you can conjure up a good breaker bar. You'll have to really get the vice-grip tight. Careful not to get your fingers when you release them!

Good luck! Let me know what you do.

Old_Skool71

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 04:24 PM »
Cheers guys, never heard of liquid wrench before, will pop over to Homebase and see if they have some.

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 04:28 PM »
i last week bought some rust remover gel like form stuff.opoured it onto the crank and pedal exle left for less than 5 mins and they came off really easy
 :daumenhoch:

Old_Skool71

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:39 PM »
i last week bought some rust remover gel like form stuff.opoured it onto the crank and pedal exle left for less than 5 mins and they came off really easy
 :daumenhoch:

What was the gel called?

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Be careful how you go with these as I had a pedal stuck on with Loctite.  "Stuck" doesn't begin to describe it, more like welded.  Broke at least half a dozen 15mm spanners using the extended leverage idea before my Draper bench vice cried enough and shattered!!  Eventually cut the crank arm because it was worth less than the DMR V8 that was on it.  And I know who the numpty was who used commercial Loctite  :-[ Humps

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Get a centre punch put it in the other side of the pedal axle that is in the crank and give it a good twat with a hammer, then leave to soak in diesel for a day or so and then try it with a spanner.  Works everytime  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Firstly can someone move this to "Tech and Resto" please.

Secondly....I suppose it depends on how much you value the crank really mate as if it was me and I wasn't too fussed I'd just heat it up with the oxyacetylene. The heat transfer the axle shouldn't really harm anything as long as you don't get them both glowing. If the cranks is valuable to you then the soaking method Fruit Phil mentioned is about the best way dude.

I hope that helps.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

2020mad

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 05:49 PM »
soak a rag in coke , pouring a bit on the thread part. wrap and leave for 48hrs. job done  :daumenhoch:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 06:31 PM »
proper pedal spanner....scaffold tube...job done

Dave
haro, how do you do

Old_Skool71

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys, i guess i'll have quite a few more of these problems over the next few months and will be asking for loads more tech tips, sorry for posting in the wrong section, it never dawned on me to post it in the restoration section.

I never managed to get them off yet, both the tioga crank and shimano pedels are pretty well worn and are not gonna be part of the restore, so i think i might go down the oxyacetylene route if a couple days soaking in lube doesnt work.

adam01

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys, i guess i'll have quite a few more of these problems over the next few months and will be asking for loads more tech tips, sorry for posting in the wrong section, it never dawned on me to post it in the restoration section.

I never managed to get them off yet, both the tioga crank and shimano pedels are pretty well worn and are not gonna be part of the restore, so i think i might go down the oxyacetylene route if a couple days soaking in lube doesnt work.

Andrew

lets see some pictures of this ride

AD

Old_Skool71

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 11:11 PM »
I posted some pics of it a few days back, here's the link

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=62364.0

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Help With Seized Pedels??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx