gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 10:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Trials and tribulations of owning a new SE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Trials and tribulations of owning a new SE  (Read 1029 times)

muttley

Trials and tribulations of owning a new SE
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:13 AM »
So i got this new Floval and its lovely.
Now I knew the pedals would have to be outed at some stage as thay are welgo's and the shafts were already rattling around inside the bodys when i got it but on Sunday thay finally let go so off thay came and some temporary ones fitted. Now i have got the mother of noises coming from either the cranks or the cassette, its so bloody annoying, not just on the drive side downstroke but on the LHS too  ???

Checked the alignment and its fine.
Had the cranks off and on 3 times wich just leaves the chain (KMC) and the rear cassette.

The noise is like a creaking noise but loud, i had to get off and walk this morning it was so loud  :(

Anyone else had problems with cassettes? Or should i be looking at the cranks/chain?  :-\

spesh

Re: Trials and tribulations of owning a new SE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:54 PM »
try retightening the bottom bracket had the same on my jump bike and it was the bb very slightly loose

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Mate - remove the crank arms, grease the spindles well and re-seat the arms. First tighten the end bolt, then pinch the side bolts, then loosen the end bolts off, then tighten the pinch bolts right down, then re-tighten the end bolts.

skids

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Also if it persists;remove bearing cups and grease well before refitting to frame
[greasing any mating faces is a good idea, as it stops corrosion,and creaking in many areas]
I have had cranks make the same noise as you have described, and thats all I have done to cure it!
........Skids

muttley

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Thankyou gents  ;)

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:27 AM »
I've got a problem like that with my floval, it's double annoying, mine is a really bad clunking sound when I put pressure on  >:( :(  I've tried tightening everything up but to no avail. I'm gonna try the re-grease.   

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:44 AM »
sounds like a real quality issue there. :(
ding dong

muttley

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Think it could be a crank issue, not gonna change them yet though, you would expect them to work though.  :(

skids

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Please you guys....grease cups before fitting to frame, I know it sounds weak, but it works, 9 out of 10 times.
best regards.............Skids

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Think it could be a crank issue, not gonna change them yet though, you would expect them to work though.  :(

9 out of 10 times its a grease issue, they are known to require a regrease after a while, i think its because the taiwain folk
don't know what grease is.

The other thing is to check the bearings in the BB you might have a dodgy bearing in there, should be 4 bearings, and don't
over tight the bearing cup that is on the opposite side to the drive side.

muttley

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Please you guys....grease cups before fitting to frame, I know it sounds weak, but it works, 9 out of 10 times.
best regards.............Skids

Euro BB mate.  ;)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:35 AM »
that a normal MTB BB isn't it??  i always used copper slip grease on my MTB BB threads  :daumenhoch:

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57 PM »
I've got a problem like that with my floval, it's double annoying, mine is a really bad clunking sound when I put pressure on  >:( :(  I've tried tightening everything up but to no avail. I'm gonna try the re-grease.   

I've solved the clunking issue on mine  :daumenhoch:  I went and bought the tool to take off the threaded bottom bracket cups, when I came to take it off to strip it down it was nighter than a nuns chuff and pressing on the bearings a bit , I just loosened it off and all is well  :)   

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Trials and tribulations of owning a new SE

gfxgfx
gfx gfx