gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 04:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Top tube length
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Top tube length  (Read 1616 times)

Bushwacked

Top tube length
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I'm 6ft (just) and looking at possibly getting a BMX with a 20.5 TT, but have been told a 20.75 would be more suitable - does it really make that much difference? I'm new to this lark so not sure how much difference it will make.

SaMAlex

Re: Top tube length
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:20 PM »
21 minimum really for a 6 ft'er  :daumenhoch:

It makes a big difference, you would notice if you tried both out. If the shorter one is a killer deal then maybe go for it ... but you will wanna change it sooner or later.

2unfit2ride

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:53 PM »
I'm 6' & bought a mongoose expert thingy with a 20.5 TT, as I'm a tart it lasted about five minutes before I sold it & bought a bike with a 21" tt, I haven't really ridden it yet, but just getting on it & riding around the block a few times it feels so much longer & less cramped.
Maybe try a few out for size in a decent shop first???

Bushwacked

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:23 PM »
Hmm, I'm used to a mountain bike so not sure what too look out for on size with BMX's

Any recommendations on starter bikes with that size TT?

2unfit2ride

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Hmm, I'm used to a mountain bike so not sure what too look out for on size with BMX's

Any recommendations on starter bikes with that size TT?

What kind of budget?

£3-400 will get you something half decent, I bought an Easton Jane mainly based on it TT length, its looks, & its component looked good for the money.

Just wait for the Colney recommendations  ;)

Bushwacked

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Ideally looking at under £300 since I want to give it a go without splashing out a fortune on something which I may only use for a few months.

Been looking at the GT Fueler since its got a 21" TT and is only about £230 - not sure of their reputation though!!

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/13328/GT_Fueler_Bike_2008

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Have a chat with Trev as he may be able to sort you out something at that price that is WAY better than the GT  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Bushwacked

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Nice one - I'll have a quiet one with Trev.

Voodoocars

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Nothing wrong with the GT. I have one. Good bikes,quite light, good components - they just dont have the 'names' on them. Good value for money. Go for it.

Stella Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I'm havin same problem, I bought a cheapo DB frame minus wheels thinkin it was 21" but measured it yest to find it's only 20"

I'm trying to save pennies for Eastern Jane.

Deffo get 21" mate, 20.75" very minimum.

Bushwacked

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 01:36 PM »
How different does it feel having a too short tt?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 07:34 AM »
i'm 6' 2" and my TT is just over 21" and it feels great!   :daumenhoch:  i always find smaller frames a bit twitchy but maybe that's just me being cr@p!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03 AM »
I'm 5' 11" and use 21"tt  ;)

Go to a shop & try and ride some , buying the wrong length is a pricey mistake .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:05 AM by Mattdub »

steve Beech TA

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 10:54 PM »

trev is well worth going to, dead helpfull to :daumenhoch:

Bushwacked

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01 PM »
I think I am going to look at a long TT - rode a bike which was quite small yesterday and just felt slightly unstable under me.

Spoken to Trev and he's in the front running at the moment, just need to persuade the finance director to release the funds!!!  :(

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 08:37 PM »
I think I am going to look at a long TT - rode a bike which was quite small yesterday and just felt slightly unstable under me.

Spoken to Trev and he's in the front running at the moment, just need to persuade the finance director to release the funds!!!  :(

You need to try things before you buy  ;)

moley

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Can anyone explain the geometry of TT's for me?

I have an Haro Group One RS1 (approx 1987).   The TT length looks like 20".

I also have a Haro Group One from the US (1990's)   The TT length is 20.5.

I placed the frames against each other to compare them and they were nearly the same except the BB shell is way further back then on the RS1 (by about 3-4 inches)

Is TT length the wrong way to describe sizes?

If the BB shell is further back but the tt length is the same then the centre of rotation and the centre of the rider must also be futher back giving extra clearance.

I haven't built this new frame yet but I'm hoping it gives me a lot more room to manoeuver!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Top tube length

gfxgfx
gfx gfx