gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 06:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Flight bearings into Streetbeat
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Flight bearings into Streetbeat  (Read 1068 times)

Stella Dave

Flight bearings into Streetbeat
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Right, I've completely lost the rag with this now!

Redline new flight sealed bearings with blue spacer into Streetbeat frame...do they go??

I've tried freezing the bearings then knocking them.
Tried making a tool up from an old axle and trying to screw them in.

I'm scared the frame spilts!! Only next option is to try a vice. I've tried all the tips I could find on here, other forums and youtube
and exhausted all ideas.
 :-\
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:33 PM by Stella Dave »

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Flight bearings into Streetbeat
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:44 PM »
 :) Nip down to your local bike shop.They`ll have a bearing press and should only cost a few quid to fit them for you.

thecrooch

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:01 PM »
i had the same problem last week (didnt know of your probs... wish i had now..) i did get them in the frame using a headset press - but this ended up crushing the bearings - managed to get them out and they ran fine while out of the cups but once in you could feel them clonking...

I was not my normal 'bouncing hammers off the walls self' and calming walked out of the room - get on line to Alans and ordered a Profile Hop up kit...  arrived, all went in with simple tapping of rubber mallet!

Redline bearings now sitting in the bin!

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:37 PM »
I had the same problem Dave, when i tried fitting it first i forgot the sleeve and it all fitted fine then i realised so started again and couldn't get the cups in with the blue sleeve. I took them all out and measured, It seemed the length of the blue sleeve when put between the bb cups makes the whole thing wider than the bb shell. So it seems the sleeve is too long. I wasn't useing the bike as a rider so left the sleeve off. I don't know if anyone else can elaborate for you but i know Owen put one on his last build.

Stella Dave

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28 PM »
The sleeve has been cut to length. Gonna try bike shop tomorrow and see if they have a press.

thecrooch

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 09:09 AM »
im not sure why but the profile instructions get you to leave about 2mm of gap between the shell and the cup???  it works though...

Stevo

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:38 PM »
Just a point, if you are going to ride your bike the spindle sleeve is important.

It usually needs to be cut to the correct length which is tricky, as you don't want to remove one of the cups again if its still too long.

It should sit tight between the cups and not rattle about. I have been told by my bike shop that the sleeve stops the pressure on the bearings when you tighten the cranks onto the spindle.

Most bike shops would be prepared to do the above for you.

mark 2

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 11:43 PM »
I've broken vices getting these twats in, and you get frustrated , go it it with a big hammer and put a nasty dent in your frame. Avoid all that hassle  - If you've got a bench grinder (-£20 in b&q etc) nip off a mm around the outside of the bearing cup, just the bit that sits in the frame. It'll be tight enough still not to cause any bother and just a few taps with a mallet will get the bugger in.

steve Beech TA

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:22 AM »

I used a drop of grease around the edge of the bearing and it slid in with a mallet, :daumenhoch:

Stella Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:07 PM »
still no joy, local bike shop says £7.50 and wont get it back for week.  :wtf:

skids

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I had exactly the same problem with mine, I have a moales pro flat, and had to use a massive vice at work-
to get the buggers in!    my redlines came with two circular plastic rings to minamise damage when installing-
but they took a right squashing also.   very important that you use lots of gease and put some wood in the-
vice jaws to prevent marking anything if it slips out.put one side in at a time[you get better leverage-and they go in squarer]
like someone said before...if you plan to use the bike ;ALWAYS put the shim in, or you will crush the bearings when you tighten
the crank arms[even worse if you drop the bike on the pedals]
I'm dreading it if I ever need to remove them
best of luck......Skids

Stella Dave

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Think am gonna purchase a vice and some good vice plates. Prob wont be the last time i put these in.

Like you say, not looking forward to takin them out again!  :shocked:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Think am gonna purchase a vice and some good vice plates. Prob wont be the last time i put these in.

Like you say, not looking forward to takin them out again!  :shocked:

I'd give the bearing housing a whizz over with some wet n dry or a file (only on the bit that goes into the frame!) just to take the edge off them you don't need to take much off but it would certainly make life easier  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Flight bearings into Streetbeat

gfxgfx
gfx gfx