gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 06:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Full Face Helmets a must now...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Full Face Helmets a must now...  (Read 1830 times)

thecrooch

Full Face Helmets a must now...
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Just received this.....

UCI have introduced a ruling for 2008 imposing the mandatory use of full face helmets at all BMX events.  On the grounds of safety, the BMX Commission are stating that all riders taking part in the main expert category races at national level from round 4 (Mansfield) onwards should also wear full face helmets.  All national events running novice categories will not have novice categories subjected to this new ruling.  The host region committee has authority to decide on the best course of action for novice racing in 2008.  The same applies to all 2008 club/region events, the host regional committee has the authority to decide when to implement.  From 2009 onwards, all riders taking part in BMX races must use full face helmets, whether Elite, Expert, Novice or MTB category.  All helmets must conform to one of the safety standards set out in BC technical regulation 8.6.1

Due to the complex nature of the different cycling disciplines that fall under the British Cycling umbrella, the development of an online registration system for competitive events is taking longer than anticipated.  Rather than set a new date for the introduction, British Cycling will make an announcement when it is ready to be rolled out.

Best Regards
Roger Wilbraham
Coordinator for MTB and BMX
0161 274 2022
www.britishcycling.org.uk
mtb@britishcycling.org.uk
bmx@britishcycling.org.uk

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Re: Full Face Helmets a must now...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Does this include O/S races ???
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

thecrooch

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:34 PM »
yep

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:35 PM »
personally i don't have an issue with it....but then i don't race that often.

macky

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:43 PM »

So is this just for racing or are they talking about all aspects of bmx?

thecrooch

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:46 PM »
sorry this is for racing - and to answer previous, OS is a NOvice class and therefor must abide as well!

hudu

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I think this may be the final nail in the coffin of my racing days. Rode open face for 28 years, tried and tried to ride in a full face but just can't breathe and can't see the jumps well enough.

Not a scratch on my chin, touch wood, so thanks for that UCI you bunch of suits.  :uglystupid2:

Open face fine at the trails.  ::)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 10:22 PM »
It doesn't include Old School classes as we're not actually an officialy recognised class.

We had a speech from some bloke from the BCI at the first summer regional at Daggers and he confirmed that they had no control over us and we'd do what we wanted anyway.  :LolLolLolLol:

Doesn't actually affect that many of us though does it.  ;)

se bikes

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:44 AM »
TBH i have a full face and although i dont like it i really dont wanna knock me 4 front teeth out again so i put up and shut up  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 09:51 AM »
TBH i have a full face and although i dont like it i really dont wanna knock me 4 front teeth out again so i put up and shut up  :daumenhoch:

theres a first....  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

se bikes

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 09:59 AM »

says gobby  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

thecrooch

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:38 AM »

says gobby  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

abso-bloomin-lutley  :coolsmiley:

dialledbikes

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:42 PM »
It doesn't include Old School classes as we're not actually an officialy recognised class.

It's an official class in the South Region, Si.  If I recall correctly, Scott Dick corrected Euan Goodman at Dagenham when he said OS wasn't a proper class.

Flying_fox

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Hardly anyone wears open face now, Gunner and his cool 'n the gang trail boss mates, Mad Adie, Hudu, Scott Edgeworth and that's about it.... I don't see it as much of an issue, no kids wear open face so we're all consenting adults. I would have kept it as a matter of personal taste, but I'm not anything to do with rule making at UCIHQ. :)

I need one, I've lost count of the amont of lids I've broken over the year, but at least I've got all my front teeth. :crazy2:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 01:53 PM »

It's an official class in the South Region, Si.  If I recall correctly, Scott Dick corrected Euan Goodman at Dagenham when he said OS wasn't a proper class.

From what he said out on the track we're a law unto ourselves and would do what we wanted anyway. They didn't sound too bothered about it at the time.

Besides as I said it's not really an issue as only SE races with an open faced lid and he was talking about a full face anyway. ;)

thecrooch

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:30 PM »

Besides as I said it's not really an issue as only SE races with an open faced lid and he was talking about a full face anyway. ;)
[/quote]

and as you can see even he decided to ditch it following Big Scott's speech at Daggers...... though even he managed to find an OS one.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:21 PM by Crooch »

wolfybmx

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 03:47 PM »
expect ady of groove to be standing his ground on the full face rule. he won't be a happy chappy :knuppel2:

dialledbikes

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50 PM »

From what he said out on the track we're a law unto ourselves and would do what we wanted anyway. They didn't sound too bothered about it at the time.

Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but  ;)

Euan didn't know that in the South you guys are part of the regional series, wheras in most other regions it's run ad hoc if any old schoolers turn up.  I definitely remember Scott correcting him and saying you guys were part of the series.

It's cool that the old school is part of the South Regional Series as one of you guys will get to win the first ever regional No.1 plate for old school.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Full Face Helmets a must now...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx