gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  bmx world champs in brum??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bmx world champs in brum??  (Read 1682 times)

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
bmx world champs in brum??
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:47 AM »

b45t4rd

Re: bmx world champs in brum??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:50 AM »
Good news, but why indoors? The mids need tracks desperatley >:(

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:57 AM »
Good news, but why indoors? The mids need tracks desperatley >:(

dunno, redditch will be up and runnin by then, should have it there  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:58 AM »
I have heard that the Olympic track is gonna be pulled down after the event as well, wtf are BCF etc. thinking. There should be an active plan to develop new international tracks up and down the country, especially in densley populated areas. No wonder we was shit at the euros, our riders dont stand a chance until we have the right facilities. :tickedoff:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:03 AM »
When redditch is built that will be only track around here, if they gonna build 1 for world champs in brum they should do it outdoors and keep it not knock it down, for a city size of brum its wrong to not have a track.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:18 AM »
When redditch is built that will be only track around here, if they gonna build 1 for world champs in brum they should do it outdoors and keep it not knock it down, for a city size of brum its wrong to not have a track.
Perhaps have an international track indoors, but leave it there for everyone to use. Brum is pretty central and would make a sensible choice for a permanent indoor track :daumenhoch:

martin1970

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Your right Ratty, I also heard that the Olympic track will be flattened after the games, F**cking shocking.

I'm off to buy a track bike!

Mad Mart

dialledbikes

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Great news if Brum gets a world class track for 2012, but I really don't understand the logic in spending all that money to build it, then spending even more money to knock it down.

If the council/BCF can't be arsed to spend money to maintain it after the event, hand it over to a club and let them take responsibility for it.

Same applies to London and the Olympic track.  I'm sure there's enough people in/around London who could form a club after the Games.

So much for the Olympics leaving a legacy for the people of London.  I guess BMX'ers don't feature in that legacy.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Unfortunately they're tearing a few of the facilities down in order to sell the land to developers so they can recoup some of the money they spent on the games in the first place.

Twinkle

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Would be fab if it was here but .................... What planet are these people on building a track to that sort of standard and then knocking it down  :idiot2:  :uglystupid2: :tickedoff:

2020mad

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:31 AM »
They should really think about a permanent outdoor track in brum again that can be used by everyone like the old wheels track, lets face it theres a shit load of waste ground just outside the city centre.

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Unfortunately they're tearing a few of the facilities down in order to sell the land to developers so they can recoup some of the money they spent on the games in the first place.

That's one of the problems with this small island.  Land/space is its most valuable asset.

Even more daft is we have acres and acres of countryside which people aren't allowed to build on.

And farmers receive EU subsidies NOT to grow stuff on some plots  :idiot2:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:01 AM »

That's one of the problems with this small island.  Land/space is its most valuable asset.

Even more daft is we have acres and acres of countryside which people aren't allowed to build on.

And farmers receive EU subsidies NOT to grow stuff on some plots  :idiot2:

Subsidies are a joke, even the farmers don't like them but we've got ourselves into such a state agriculturaly that it's going to be difficult to break that habit.

As for the land, I hope we never build on it, we need those green fields more than you know.

dialledbikes

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26 AM »
From BMX tracks to social/agricultural issues  :LolLolLolLol:

If just one of those unused farmers' fields in every county could be used to build a national/international standard BMX track, the BMX facilities in this country would be improved ten fold.

perry

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:40 AM »
tis a shame but with the size of speed bumps now we do have miles of tarmaced tracks to play on , just gotta avoid the cars

Caddy555

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31 PM »
All you guys on this site talk a lot of sense regarding what BC should do or don't do but when ever do they take any notice of the people that matter, the riders???

I have said for years that an Indoor track (Like Tours) would be more beneficial to us because of the clocks going back (dark nights) and the weather conditions we have here are crap so the enthusiasm for riding/training goes out of the window.

The other site had some good debates regarding this from Scott Dick, N8, Paddy, Mike @ dialled et al and now you guys on here and they are all valid points.

From what I can see it always has been and always will be a them and us situation with the BCF regarding funding, coaches and especially tracks.

One classic example of tracks is Miles and Marks efforts at trying to secure a National spec track in Aylesbury, red tape all the way.

Now we wait for the replies.

Cheers and thanks for reading, Rant over and I am having a bad day.

Caddy Snr.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Caddy, one reason people gave up in the 80s was the politics. 25 years on and nothing has changed. I still feel that this sport has become elitist and favours the few.
Cheddar track (as good as it is) you are not allowed to use the track unless you are camping on site.
Burnham track. Apparently has about 20 members (I stand to be corrected)
Dagenham 100+ members, open use policy on the track, free helmet and glove hire if need be, free voucher to next race for first timers.

BCF licence fees!!! now for membership and licence best part of £70, what kids can afford that?? what family of 4 can afford that???

National Race entry fees, £25 a pop!!!! for what????

Some of the best talent to emerge from this country came from poorer areas, kids that were hungry for it. Tell me what kid from a family on benefits can afford to race now days??

Its a bloody disgrace and BCF need to start justifying just what we are paying for???

We managed to attend the first 3 nationals this year, but Im buggered if I can afford many (if any) more.

:tickedoff:  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:

Caddy555

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Thats one of the reasons my lad Simon and I don't go any more, just do the odd Inter Regional, which in my opinion is better than any Nationals, no stress, plenty of banter and more so, riders and there families enjoying themselves in a party type atmosphere, not worrying about is Jonny clipped in has he got the lightest forks etc etc.

This could go on for ever but as stated before I know rest my case.

Are you guys doing the August meeting at MK, as due to work commitments and holidays etc this is the earliest one I can get to?

Would be nice to be on the gate with you all even though I will be last.

Its not the competing its the taking part, yeah right until you are on that gate and it drops!!!

Cheers.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  bmx world champs in brum??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx