gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 06:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Well Done John on aquiring the rights to Hutch & CW
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Well Done John on aquiring the rights to Hutch & CW  (Read 1523 times)

muttley

Well Done John on aquiring the rights to Hutch & CW
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Sorry this appeared in the shout box but i am intrigued, can you expand on this please.

TA   ;)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: Well Done John on aquiring the rights to Hutch & CW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:47 AM »
For those without vintage accounts:

<<

I am pleased to announce that I have recently acquired full ownership and trademark rights to the company Hutch Hi-Performance BMX, and am able to share preliminary plans for the future.

A brief history about me…

Always been a “Hutch guy”. Bought my pre-serial # in August of 1983, raced/rode until 1987. I enjoy building show-quality bikes today, and am a strong advocate of actually riding them.

In my dad’s younger days, he was a paid diver searching for sunken Spanish ships. Later on and when I was around 10, he wanted to go to the deeper wrecks, and I watched him use engine lathes and other big equipment to build his own submarine. From that point I knew I wanted to make stuff too. My professional career has always been new product development, and because I started at the beginning of the PC age, my strength has been advanced CAD/CAM programming combined with the use of CNC milling machines. Working directly for one of the largest CAD/CAM software companies, I traveled the world training and helping many high-profile companies with advanced machining concepts.

“Alright, so what are your plans?”…

My plans are to introduce new product “re-issues” that are remarkably similar to originals, but having at least 1 feature different than the originals. That 1 feature will fit the criteria that, in order to remove or modify it for the purpose of deceiving to be original, would take more effort than realistically worth while based on the likelihood of it being recognized as being altered, or would simply destroy the integrity of the item altogether.

Using today’s technology, I am confident that quality will either meet or exceed the high-quality standards of the originals. I will NOT do anything to jeopardize or degrade the reputation of Hutch as being the finest-quality bicycle components manufacturer ever.

“And what will these re-issues do to the value of my original stuff?”…

Your natural first reaction may be that it will decrease the values of the originals. I believe this will be completely false and backwards. In fact, values of high-quality or NOS originals are likely to INCREASE, based on increased demand through an enlarging population of collectors entering the sport…which is directly based on the availability of lower-cost re-issues. As a certain percentage of those new collectors mature, they will eventually want to collect vintage originals, and the larger base of collectors will support increased values. This equation is common to the fields of vintage guitar collecting and vintage muscle car collecting, just to name a couple examples.

“What did it take to resurrect the Hutch name and company?”…

In short, an immense amount of research…and money. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX was fragmented after its demise. Besides ownership and trademark rights, it was required that I solve beyond a reasonable doubt any potential issues relating to the various other legal issues that happened along the way. I formed my company in 2005, so it has taken more than 2 years to complete this process. The cost to purchase the rights was significant as well.

Making small consumables such as decals or pads requires little investment compared to the durable components. Imagine for example any 6 parts that Hutch made, then imagine the costs associated with making minimum batch requirements large enough to bring costs down enough so that the product can be priced accordingly. That quickly escalates into huge numbers. Anyone who doubts my willingness to defend these rights should strongly consider what I have invested to get to this point.

“What is your company?”…

My company is Trick Bike Company, LLC. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX and the Hutch logos are registered trademarks of Trick Bike Company, LLC. All rights reserved.

“Any plans for new-school products?”…

I envision new-school products that have a slight flair of the brand-specific styling to vintage originals. New-school offerings are a “phase 2” subject and will not happen right away. However, I strongly encourage and welcome any design recommendations, and will make a fair and equitable business arrangement with anyone that brings a viable or interesting product idea forward. The real potential for exponential profit lies within the larger retail market of the new-school population.

“What are the first products you will be offering?”…

This is an exciting time for BMX. We have the Olympic events for the first time, and we are also smack-dab in the middle of the 25th anniversary of the greatest era ever for vintage BMX. The Hutch product line is as in-depth as it gets. Therefore, the potential for strong interest is good. I will be announcing products and availability at the point of manufacturing where I receive the first prototypes in-hand and can inspect quality. Quality must meet my expectations to be considered as an available product. Pre-orders will only be offered after quality has been assured with the prototypes. I do have multiple projects working simultaneously now, and I may even have something at Rockford.

“Anything else besides Hutch coming?”…

Yes. I have acquired rights to CW, and I am working on acquiring rights to a few other select brands. I am also attempting to work with some existing and still-in-business companies for product re-issues. I hope this broad-base of new product offerings will allow our sport to grow, and also won't compromise the value and heritage of original vintage items for those who wish to collect only those items. It is a fine balance, and one I have given considerable thought to.

Thank you,
John
>>

muttley

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Cheers Stodgy  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Good luck to the guy, be interesting to see what falls out on the other forums about this  :-X.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:09 AM »
cool!  would be good to see some new school Hutch race frames?  as for the prices of original stuff coming down?  i don't think so as he's already stated that the repo stuff will be very identifiable from the originals.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Blimey, be interested to see what happens with Hutch and CW in the future then and this John certainly sounds as if he has his head screwed on right, excellent stuff...  :)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:32 AM »
no more £300 Hutch Grips then !!  ;D
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:49 AM »
no more £300 Hutch Grips then !!  ;D

I wouldn't count on it  :LolLolLolLol:

Interesting to see how the comments have gone since the change of ownership in that site  :-X.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I think he will make a success of it but the os community over there will have plenty to say i suspect :shocked: Depending on the quality of what he brings out, its a great oppurtunity

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57 AM »

Interesting to see how the comments have gone since the change of ownership in that site  :-X.

Noticed the same too....

Well, wait and see about his stuff, he seems to be a "reliable" guy and to be honest I don't care too much about Hutch stuff and their prices.. :D

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03 AM »
i suspect his primary focus will be capitalising on the brand aquisition, and getting a return on his time and expenditure.

first off the line?

aerospeed repops.
100 sets, 500 quid a set, numbered etc....quick 50k...cost to fabricate..probably 150 a set...so 15k.

tis all good...sounds like a clever chap to me

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:14 AM »
J.T is right, a quick ROI.

I reckon Grips, radcaps, plates and pad sets first...aerospeeds later.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 10:18 AM »
i suspect his primary focus will be capitalising on the brand aquisition, and getting a return on his time and expenditure.

first off the line?

aerospeed repops.
100 sets, 500 quid a set, numbered etc....quick 50k...cost to fabricate..probably 150 a set...so 15k.

tis all good...sounds like a clever chap to me

Yep good luck to him I say....., i guess some peeps will be pished off, but only cos they wished they'd done it first ???

i'd buy some re-pop Grips n Rad Kaps, not sure about aerospeeds though ?
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:34 AM »

[/quote]

Didnt someone else already try repopping aerospeeds......Mr Vert Ego?

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38 AM »

Didnt someone else already try repopping aerospeeds......Mr Vert Ego?
[/quote]

I heard that Biagio had some made, but it may have just been here-say ? I think old Sand-n-Dirt (WHo remembers him !!)had some made too ???

The feedback on Vinatge looks very positive...!!  ;)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

electro808

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32 PM »
What's going to happen to the people who are currently selling repro Hutch stuff - decals, pads etc.?  Lawsuit, anyone? :-\

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 02:41 PM »
What's going to happen to the people who are currently selling repro Hutch stuff - decals, pads etc.?  Lawsuit, anyone? :-\

It'll be a gentle nudge in that direction , John's a good guy so I wish him well .

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29 PM »

be good if prices drop on the pads as crazy price`s for repro pads that aren`t that hard to make but as usual priced high due to the name .
be nice if did the tyres and grips repro
no1stuntmaster on instagram

dialledbikes

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Often wondered why more people haven't gone down this route - searching out owners of old brands and reviving them.

Interesting to know how JDB acquired Hutch Hi-Performance though as didn't the original owner of Hutch himself have to change the name to Hutchins to avoid a lawsuit?

Good luck with it though - the Hutch brand deserves a second chance in BMX as it was such an icon first time around.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Great news that a guy with passion has secured the rights. Hopefully some good items will be produced.... I cant see them being inexpensive though...
 Stick my name down for a repop CW Phaze One frameset  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Well Done John on aquiring the rights to Hutch & CW

gfxgfx
gfx gfx