gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 02:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Performer Resto help / advice needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Performer Resto help / advice needed  (Read 721 times)

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
GT Performer Resto help / advice needed
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Hoping to finally get round to getting this powdered and stickered up in the next couple of weeks, but need you GT experts to help date the setup and answer a few other Q's?

Frame & Forks:

I know that it is a steel frame (fookin heavy!) and a performer (not pro) but anyone tell me what year?

The BB is stamped as shown below:

I've got this sticker set - Is this the right one for the year?

And colour wise, it was originally blue, like this one?:

Closest Ral colour I can find is Ral 5015 although it doesn't look "electric" enough, so I'm thinking about brilliant white... Yellow woud also be good, but I'm not sure how the stickers would look (sh1t?) on a yellow frame...

Thanks for any help guys,

Brian  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:53 PM by brianp »

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: GT Performer Resto help / advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:13 AM »
The 86 model still had a normal side-pull seat stay mounted brake.

In 1987 they went to the double bend downtube, but they continued with the original Performer for the entry level bike with the addition of a brake-stay underside mounted brake. Otherwise it was identical.

In 88, they continued with the original style frame for the entry bike, but the drop outs (front & rear) changed dramatically (no holes, trailing seat stays).

So I would say it is likely to be an 87 (or possibly late 86 hybrid) Brian, here's the bit from the catalogue mate:

So the sticker set is a little off.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:21 AM by Stodgy »

munners

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Also the frame you have should have had a cable guide under the BB where the serial is. Looks like yours has gone!

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Dave,
Thanks for the info, that's cleared up a lot of queries. I know the double bend frame you mean, and also think I know the dropout change you're talking about. Think I've seen them on here.
And as for the stickers, will have to see about sourcing some of the right ones. I've got the wee GT ones at the top of the down tube, and also what looks like a handlebar one, but will see if I can find the rest on us ebay or somewhere.
And looking at the bike in ur pic, I think I will get it powdered white now...

Nick, think it's just the dodgy camera angle, cable stop is still there, but it's a flat plate, as opposed to that shown on Dave's pic.
The threaded barrel adjuster on mine will sit under the BB as opposed to the bottom of the downtube like on the scan.

Thanks for the input gents.  :4_17_5:

Brian  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06 AM »
I have those GT stamped OGK wheels in my garage, was covered in blue paint from previous owner, i've done a fair bit of stripping on them with thinners and a bit more elbow grease will get them back to white. I have no need for them. Quite hard to source now I reckon. Have you got a set or would you be after them?

Let me know...

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Nick, think it's just the dodgy camera angle, cable stop is still there, but it's a flat plate, as opposed to that shown on Dave's pic.
The threaded barrel adjuster on mine will sit under the BB as opposed to the bottom of the downtube like on the scan.

I see, at a glance the pic looks like it is recessed but a little longer and you can see it's a raised bar  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Hi Matt,

As nice as they'd be matey, unfortunately I dunno if I'll ever get this one past a frame/fork/headset setup, so I'll have to pass.

Thanks for the offer tho.  :daumenhoch:

Brian.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Performer Resto help / advice needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx