gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake squawking
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake squawking  (Read 903 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Brake squawking
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:42 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

How the hell do you stop it, They are Dia Compe MX900's with Dia Compe brake pads. When i apply the back brake they squawk really loudly. The rims are Araya 7X shiney sides.

Not a major prolem but an annoying one.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

jedi

Re: Brake squawking
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:45 PM »
mine just dont work  :(

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:50 PM »
mine just dont work  :(

if i spray WD40 on the rims, mine wont neither and they wont be noisey. :LolLolLolLol:

jedi

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 02:56 PM »
good thinking  :daumenhoch:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I think you are supposed to bend the calipers slightly so the leading edge of the pad touches the rim first. I used to use a wide adjustable spanner covered with tape but you need to be careful not to damage anything.

MX calipers are now pretty old so there is a chance they might be a bit brittle now and could end up snapping them. Might be better to clean the wheels and pads. Then rubb the pads with wet or dry rough them up a bit as well.

dj_benice

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 03:55 PM »
I think you are supposed to bend the calipers slightly so the leading edge of the pad touches the rim first. I used to use a wide adjustable spanner covered with tape but you need to be careful not to damage anything.

MX calipers are now pretty old so there is a chance they might be a bit brittle now and could end up snapping them. Might be better to clean the wheels and pads. Then rubb the pads with wet or dry rough them up a bit as well.

Sort of, bend the caliper spring though not the caliper, screwdriver and trusty heavy object should do the job cheaper to replace a spring too ;)

macky

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12 PM »

Ya know, i used to use to wipe Coka cola on my rim's and let it dry in before ridin a bit of flat...

worked a treat!! and the brake was slightly sharper too... 

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I think bending the spring was used to centralise the caliper and just make it pull the caliper open better.
Not sure where I found it out now but bending the caliper or twisting the bit where the pad fits deffo works. It doesn't take a lot to do.

Does anyone who works or worked in a shop remember this as an official adjustment ?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 05:21 PM »
When you bend the caliper arms just above or below the pads it's called adjusting the toe-in so that the pad is pulled onto the rim by the motion of the wheel.  Try taking the glaze off of the pads with some wet and dry or switch to koolstop pads as they work a treat  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 06:13 PM »
what's with all the bending calipers mallarky??  just get Kool stop pads which have the domed washers, that way you can adjust the toe in on the pads rather than bending any of the caliper!

macky

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 06:19 PM »
what's with all the bending calipers mallarky??  just get Kool stop pads which have the domed washers, that way you can adjust the toe in on the pads rather than bending any of the caliper!

Yep!! forget wot i said... i'd do this instead!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I'm living in the 80's still  ;)
The Kool Stop pads sound like the way to go, didn't know they were available. I guess they are similar to those used on V brakes etc in the way they fit on.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 07:26 PM »
excellent, cheers guys.

Kool stop it is then. Anybody got any they don't require. :LolLolLolLol:

welsh denny

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48 PM »
i used to use jif lemon on a cloth, spin the wheel while applying it and feather the brake. the brake will ' squeal like a pig'  :LolLolLolLol: but will work too good.

with regards to using blocks with domed washers - it defo works.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake squawking

gfxgfx
gfx gfx