gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Head tube is a little chewed/tight
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Head tube is a little chewed/tight  (Read 784 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Head tube is a little chewed/tight
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Just had an Ammaco team pro frame arrive and it was unfortunately showing itself out of the box  :( so a few prangs in delivery has squeezed in the headtube a bit. Does anyone have any tips to pull it out a bit to get a headset in there?

Cheers,

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Head tube is a little chewed/tight
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11 PM »
That's not good mate.....was it not packaged up correctly?  if not and you bought it off here or ebay then contact the seller and give em what for!   >:(

as for getting the dinks out?  not sure about that mate....but i'm sure everything is possible

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Rob, bought off here mate but by a good fella Chris (strikey). Told him already but I didn't want to trouble him really with it. Was delivered by DHL so hopefully Chris is covered but it may not come to that if I can find a way to just open up the headtube a bit.

Cheers,

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Bearing cups should push it back into shape if you use a bearing cup press to ease them in provided it's not totally fooked.  How far out of shape is it and any pics to see how much damage there is?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:28 PM »
a headset press hass different sized presses on it, like a pyramid, but round layers instead of square. perhaps the pres without the headset would push it out a little.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Its not totally fooked but enough to prevent me from wacking in the headset and trust me i've tried. Its perhaps squished in only a few mm or so...   :(

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Its not totally fooked but enough to prevent me from wacking in the headset and trust me i've tried. Its perhaps squished in only a few mm or so...   :(

Whereabouts are you, I have a headset race press like the one the Fruitster describes with staggered presses to fit different sized races, might help  ;).  I'm in Iver Heath, Bucks.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Marty thanks mate but i'm in Epping Essex, blinking miles away  :(

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:36 PM »
try your local bike shop swivel, they'll have one and shouldn't really charge you to do it

but for fooks sake not Halfrauds as they'll just take a chissel to it!   :shocked:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 04:30 PM »
had the same before mate , if its not too bad get a pair of pump pliers , put a rag in the tube,  push the pump pliers in and open them up against your frame tube (gently ) in a levering action basically pulling the pliers apart and bobs your uncle.. job done, dont over do it or you,ll need a oval headset :D

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Have used a round bar before, levering from approx the middle of the head tube and rolling/pushing the dent out, again not too hard, this works best if the dent is at the front of the head tube. Bit of a bodge but worked in the past. The fatter the bar the better.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Head tube is a little chewed/tight

gfxgfx
gfx gfx