gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 01:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  freewheel problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: freewheel problem  (Read 535 times)

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
freewheel problem
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:36 PM »
hi all getting a gt performer of a mate over the week end but he said the freewheel is knackered it spins both ways was hopeing someone can lmk what i need to do to sort this out is it just a case of fitting a new freewheel any info would be great thanks cheers scott :daumenhoch:

othomas2

Re: freewheel problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:47 AM »
If you're going to be doing more with ya bikes then buy a freewheel removal tool which can be bought from most bike shops and online places... otherwise Halfords will be able to do it free of charge, which they have done with me and many others I know... fingers crossed they'd do the same for you... and then simply put a new freewheel back on. it screws on and tightens as you pedal... job done !! In my experience I've found suntour freewheels the best.

O

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:22 AM »
thats all very well if the lugs etc on the wheel are still intact, my tuff wheel i have just dyed had been beaten to death by some  10yr old hoping to get the thing off and there was nothing to fit a tool too, i ended up removing the centre collar with a punch and grinding the freewheel centre in 3 places and then opening the grinds with a chisel until it came off , go steady though if you need to do it this way...

perry

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:43 AM »
the really crap ones are a bugger as a lot dont have any depth to the slots for the tool

i shatter the toothed outer ring in a vice ( tighten using the edge of the vice ) its hardened so gives up easily , then once the balls have rolled all over the floor your left with the inner that is easily tightened in the vice and screwed off

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:04 AM »
thanks for the tips guys cheers scott :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:08 PM »
If you do get a tool, I always re-fit a wheel nut finger tight to stop it from slipping off, hope this makes sense without pics.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  freewheel problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx