gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 03:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  OLD SCHOOL OR NEW SCHOOL .
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OLD SCHOOL OR NEW SCHOOL .  (Read 3433 times)

dialledbikes

Re: OLD SCHOOL OR NEW SCHOOL .
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39 AM »
The original question was "what's the best looking", which is an impossible question to answer anyway.  Like saying what's the best looking car or best looking bird.

There are good looking bikes from every era of BMX, but if I could only have one BMX bike, I would choose a new school bike, cos as well as looking good, it will be better made, better finished and better to ride than any old school bike.

JT71

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Like saying what's the best looking car or best looking bird.

that's easy: Mrs Madall  :daumenhoch:

perry

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 12:05 PM »
i agree with joey  :-\

its all bikes and whatever you enjoy more personally , be it a £2000+ imaculate " build " that rarely leaves the house or a collection of parts found by the river , at the end of the day it doesnt matter what they look like

sure its great that these old bikes are getting saved so we can look back on an actual piece instead of only having a pic but it would be a shame not to ride them . at one point i had my ammaco lined up next to my ( at the time ) state of the art black bike . they both looked ace in completely different ways . the black bike felt like an extention of myself wheras the ammaco felt twitchy doing anything other than sitting down cruising the seafront  8)

i gave up riding a couple of years ago , i got sick of all the shit talk involved with bmx , once id moved i had no interest at all . until i saw the local kids riding , they didnt care about whos bike looked better or who had the newest stuff they were only interested in riding . thats what brought me back , the purity of riding  :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 12:07 PM »
Yep it's BMX and it's all good  :smitten:   :daumenhoch:

darkersomeday

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09 PM »
how about we settle this once and for all?

if the "haters/boring/ugly" brigade can show me an O/S bike that they've built themselves thats better looking and built than one of my N/S-M/S bikes,

i will stand corrected :daumenhoch:

until then.......

they can "jog-on" :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12 PM »
why dont we have a poll.

get your bike up joe.
I want to touch ORB

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14 PM »
bit strong Joe....i don't think because someone decides to collect the OS stuff, it makes them boring or ugly....

if we take this back to the original question in hand, which was what do you think looks better? then we'll just leave it that you prefer the look of new school.....and leave it at that.

lets not start any attacks just because someone disagrees with ya  :daumenhoch:

darkersomeday

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19 PM »
bit strong Joe....i don't think because someone decides to collect the OS stuff, it makes them boring or ugly....

if we take this back to the original question in hand, which was what do you think looks better? then we'll just leave it that you prefer the look of new school.....and leave it at that.

lets not start any attacks just because someone disagrees with ya  :daumenhoch:

the "hate/ugly/boring" bit was quotes from other "anti N/S" posts in this thread mate :daumenhoch:

i love em all dude :2funny:

perry

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 12:20 PM »
i love you joseph , in a purely manly hardy pat you on the back kind of way though  :yahoo_silent:

you stand by your opinions no matter how unpopular they might be even if it means fighting an entire internet community  ;D :-*

thats the kid of pasion that often lacks

you only see the names given to these bikes if you stopped riding for a length of time , for those that have ridden consistently from the 80s will only see it as an evolution due to changing popularitys and different necesities over the years

its rare that i see a bike i dont like

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 12:20 PM »
Cool Joe  :daumenhoch:

now post up pictures of your bike so we can all rip it to shreds!   ;)  ;D

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21 PM »

its rare that i see a bike i dont like

youve not been in my shed then.
I want to touch ORB

Longun

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I can only think that anyone that describes all NS bikes as ugly and boring has not seen a gold S&M LTF in the flesh.

perry

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 12:35 PM »
lets have a pic of the shed  :P

ive been at most ends of the bmx scale

ive been the kid who had a rough as a baddgers nadgers bike cobbled together with cast off parts and conversely ive been the first in a 20 mle radius to own a bike with an  integrated headset , £400 rear wheel and not a blemish sen by the naked eye

ive also been the guy who kids look upto because i dont chat shite and just shred but ive also spent many a time sat criticising petty things like somene logo on a tyre not matching up with the valve to down right ridicule state  

im lucky enough to have ridden for nearly a decade and a half so i know that things like style and fasion come and go , it ultimately doesnt mtter what the bike looks like , i wont spend a day berating someone because their cable isnt " era correct"

this is all just banter on what is just a simple matter of personal opinion , dont take anything to heart . its no different to piss taking while riding , the only difference here is we are sat behind a keyboard and cant ride off the silly comment by mates

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 12:57 PM »
lets have a pic of the shed  :P

I want to touch ORB

perry

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 01:04 PM »
thats a messy shed  :shocked:

how many times have you dropped a bearing in there ?

zed4130

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 01:05 PM »
thats a messy shed  :shocked:

how many times have you dropped a bearing in there ?

you should see my 2 sheds perry    :shocked:   :LolLolLolLol: 

perry

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 01:14 PM »
i can see another topic coming on " whos keeps their bikes in a shed like this "

but the way you say it zed makes me picture " 2 sheds " as a comical character like that guy 2 hats in the goldie looking chain  ;D

darkersomeday

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20 PM »
it'd be easy to go for the jewel-like standard 125 i just put together, its as bright as fook and sparkles in the sunlight like a thing of splendidness,

so i'll put up my N/S bike and explain why...

if anything this forum built this bike,

the frame is a 1-off full custom,put together and organized by 3 of the best riders from the last 15 years,
i'd never spoke to alex before i joined the forum and during the shit-storm that ensued when i joined he and a few others were the ones who made light of it and persuaded me to stay,
last year al asked ian morris (legend) about the possibility of getting a custom frame built, he in turn asked chris moeller (s&m ceo/legend) and it got the green light :2funny:

4 weeks later and many,many emails back and forth and my frame arrived in a clean white box with a big fook off s&m shield on it,
it got named the xl-laf,
its basically a loooong "21.5tt light-as-fook frame with a few tweaks,
the 75 degree HT angle gives an effective "21.75tt :shocked:
for my "lanky" (dingo) '6"3 frame,
i asked moeller for the frame to just be welded-up and left "as-is" , i wanted to see the welders work, the colours that come with the heat of the welder, its not meant to be a flash/pretty posers bike, its a badass-tough-as-fook mans bike,

2nd cable guide on down tube to do away with the need for a zip-tie,
welders marker pen still there,

chain stay brake fitment, the through seat tube routing gives the best pull-angle for the brake,
the brake placement keeps the brake near to the chainwheel/crank assembly and is tidier,cleaner
cranks are profile with ti spindle-full ti bolt kit,

engraved shield head tube :smitten:
stem is a hybrid of an s&m redneck xlt and an s&m race xlt, £120 stem? :-\

frame details, heat colouring, tube spec details, welder palm and thumb prints make this a one-of-a-kind,

forks are s&m xlt pitch, an evolution straight from the mid-school,
the s&m slim seat  was actually a birthday gift from a family member,
bars are a whopping "8.25 s&m grand slams to match the am-trac length frame

the rear wheel is a profile 36 ss cassette that was originally destined for one of the 40brothers but my cc got in the way!
one of the VERY first cassette hubs to run a 9t micro drive gearing, ti axle and nuts, spoke are marwi titanium flown in from the usa, rim is a sun bfr from 8 years ago and with a little fettle is still going strong,laced up by my mate and amazing trails rider, chads,
the brake is a hand stripped and polished fly with heatsink pads and onza chill pill straddle hanger
lever is an odyssey (mid school designed) trigger with ti bolts,ltd edition chrome with odi brake neck
front wheel is a rare chris king bmx race hub with ti bolts, double butted spokes and sun rhyno lite rim
s&m pedals,bar-ends,bb kit,seat clamp and grips,
thomson seatpost was from mcnulty and is like "3 long :-\
dirtbike sticker by del :daumenhoch:
using as many s&m parts as possible it matches up ok,

"its like what a mid-school HOLMES would be if they carried on makng it, with a few steroids thrown in"

serial number is a 1-off 21502

and built up by a rider that never stopped riding, right from the O/S to the M/S and now into the N/S ;)
its seen ownage of the biggest bmx forums on the net, nothing comes close in terms of dedication and detail,

it genuinely is the best bike in the world,
because its mine and i ride it :daumenhoch:

this,
this is just a BORING,
grey,
wall,

SaMAlex

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Joe, you rule. I love that bike, and I love how much you love it.  :4_17_5:

I also lol'ed at the blank wall.

perry

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 01:34 PM »
i can feel the curtains of the neighours twitching right now " hes at that bloody wall again "  ;D

nicely in proportion that  :daumenhoch: most frames ive seen over 21" just look stretched

so ts bare meal then ?

but most shocking of all "and i ride it "  :shocked: ;D :P

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Sweet bike Joe.

8)

JT71

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I like that wall, it's nice.

but your bike is f***ing awesome...I think some juice leaked whilst I was looking at your bike.  :-[

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Joe that look like a pile of old w@nk! 

;)

JT71

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Joe that look like a pile of old w@nk! 

;)

surely you mean "new" w@nk?

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

COZZFATHER

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57 PM »
i nearly bought 2 new 25th aniversarry burners,but a person i spoke to put me off when he said "there shi7" just a copy and not the same,then another raleigh dealer told me they had seen the new tuff burner and it wasn't as good as a original, that made me think Raleigh are going to spoil the values of the old ones by re doing them all again.

the thing with a old school bike that was born and killed off in the 80's never to be seen again is the exclusivity of it all.
it scares me to buy somthing mongoose or gt and find out its not old at all.

i remember seeing dayglo pink or green firebirds and skyway streetbeats in the 80's and thinking they are well cool and i still do.
when i am waiting for my nipper outside school and a ankle biter comes past on his new school ride, i always think
f##k me 80's bikes look better, and seem better made too

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  OLD SCHOOL OR NEW SCHOOL .

gfxgfx
gfx gfx