gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome removal???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrome removal???  (Read 468 times)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Chrome removal???
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Whats the best way to remove chrome before painting, only on a set of cranks, or is there a special primer you can get??
Thanks
Gary

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Chrome removal???
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:37 PM »
If there's no peeling then they only need etching, however if the chrome is peeling best to get it removed at a chromers, simple and easy process  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

munners

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19 AM »
I have to admit. I spent £60 on getting the chrome removed on a frame and forks i have. I thought that was good. The frame came back lovely and smooth.

I had another chrome frame sandblasted for £10. It came back exactly like a painted frame and forks would come back after being blasted. Good for a powder. ;)

For the money it costs i would NEVER get the process reversed again. Just sandblast.

Obviously if you are going to get it rechromed there is no need to sandblast as the chromers would reverse the process anyway. ;)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:28 AM »
can you powder coat directly over chrome then ?I Mean a translucent candy colour over the top of chrome? would it work,.................. or am i being a numpty ?  :D
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:56 AM »
SBD says it can be done; but the chrome needs to be good any mark shows up black.
My cranks are worn and I intend to paint them so will get a friend to blast them.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome removal???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx