gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset problems now.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset problems now.  (Read 744 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Headset problems now.
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:31 PM »
Kin ell, one problem after another when building an an oldie. :LolLolLolLol:

I tighten it up so there is no play in the forks but the handle bars then struggle to move from left to right, i loosen it a bit  so the bars spin nice and there is slight play in the forks. There just doesn't seem to be any happy medium.

What the hell am i doing wrong ?????????????

What a torrid week i've had.   :'( :'(
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Sanmarcopizza

Re: Headset problems now.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Are your bearings in the right way up?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Is the fork race nice and snug on the forks? That's the usual culprit.  Could be bearings as San says; they need to be with the race facing up at the bottom and down at the top (the race being the part the bearing sit in).  Otherwise try backing off the lower top race gently with the front wheel off the ground and stop backing off when the bars start to turn one way or tuther  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:01 PM »
The fork race was put in by the same tool that pushes sealed bearing units in to a bottom bracket by a BMX shop so no problems there.

Bearing's upside down, maybe, i dont think they are though, will try properly again tomorrow. Had enough today now, gonna have an indian and a couple of beers to unwind.

Thanks for your help guys. :daumenhoch:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 05:32 PM »
The fork race was put in by the same tool that pushes sealed bearing units in to a bottom bracket by a BMX shop so no problems there.

Bearing's upside down, maybe, i dont think they are though, will try properly again tomorrow. Had enough today now, gonna have an indian and a couple of beers to unwind.

i think your talking about the bearing cups being pressed in rather than the bearing race, the bearings sit in the cups, you dont say whether the headset was new or an old one you refitted, .... is the collar a nice tight fit on the base of  the forks if it isnt and   there is movement here you will have to over tighten the headset nut to take out any movement....ie  as your describing....(basically you are pulling it all tight)  if it is and old headset are the bearings the correct size... 2 more ideas ....

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:58 PM »

i think your talking about the bearing cups being pressed in rather than the bearing race, the bearings sit in the cups, you dont say whether the headset was new or an old one you refitted, .... is the collar a nice tight fit on the base of  the forks if it isnt and   there is movement here you will have to over tighten the headset nut to take out any movement....ie  as your describing....(basically you are pulling it all tight)  if it is and old headset are the bearings the correct size... 2 more ideas ....

Yes mate its an old headset re-used. They've come loose again today. I think i'm gonna look to buying a new one now.

Correct size bearings  ???? I've just used the existing ones again. When i bought the bike originally everything on it was loose so i never got to see it all tight as i stripped it straight away. :daumenhoch:

What does your username stand for anyway  Shrewsbury Town or Swindon Town ????????? 

Cheers for your help mate.

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Swindon Town.... the team your boys will face next seaon ;) ... sorry

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:33 PM »
forgot to add dont buy a Halfords headset....the diamond back ones... had issues with them before... 9 times out of 10 the cups turn in the steerer tube.... unless your keeping your originals and just using the bearings... beware ...

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Swindon Town.... the team your boys will face next seaon ;) ... sorry

Not a Saints fan mate, cant stand them. :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

I bet you dont help me anymore when you find out who i support. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:44 PM »
 :Great_Britain: :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset problems now.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx