gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  novice night/day at the rom?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: novice night/day at the rom?  (Read 454 times)

rodslovechild

novice night/day at the rom?
« on: April 24, 2008, 04:46 AM »
hi everyone, i found this site as i started to build raleigh burners as a hobby cos i have loads of spare time in the day

im now looking to start riding properly as i live about 5 mins from the rom skatepark

im 22 and fel a bit stupid only starting to ride now, is there anyone else just starting out or anyone that is willing to help me out?

id like some advice on a bike to build/buy too as i wouldnt like to grace a skatepark on a raleigh burner, although i love them, im under no illusions that they were crap lol

Broggie

Re: novice night/day at the rom?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:19 AM »
I've no doubt that there'll be other people on this thread later when they are awake  ::)

However if you feel silly starting out at 22, imagine how I feel starting out at 50  :2funny: .  Everyone here is very welcoming.  Apparently there's something going down at ROM this sunday http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=60348.0
As for bikes its probably better not to use old school for skatepark, flex and crap brakes etc.  Other than that its more a case of finding a bike that feels 'right' to you.  I for example feel more at home on a 1995 Haro Group 1, than I do on a 2006 Haro sport.  I'm sure others here will give you good advice, but at the end of the day if you are going to pay a lot of money for a bike, I would suggest going to 'proper' bike shops and then probably buying online for a better price.  Many members would I'm sure, if you turn up to a meet, let you have a go on their bikes to help you make up your mind about what might work for you.

Ray.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Trev and i set up quite a few Novice sessions up at Creation in Birmingham (used to be called Epic skate park) we have one on the 10th May so feel free to come along (it's about £12 £15)

as for novice sessions at somewhere like Rom?  places like that do not hire out the park as far as i know, unlike the indoor parks.

i would say to go along on Sunday and get chatting to people there.....have a wobble on some rides and make your own mind up as to what feels good  :daumenhoch:

rodslovechild

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:02 PM »
would you say it would be better to build my first bike or to buy one complete? what would be a good starter bike, what is there to look out for, obviously the weight

problem is with the novice night at creation is i work nights and start at 10 in london

cheers

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:05 PM »
to be honest if you're just starting out and want new school.....then i'd look at a good second hand complete bike.  what's your budget?  as Trev does some great completes with good quality frames and bits which you can upgrade in time.

if's fun building your own but cheaper to by complete.

as for weight?  i wouldn't worry to much about that......just ride some bikes and see how they feel.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Decide on a budget first.  But I would start out on a cheapish complete unless a bargain pops up on here.  You're bound to start changing stuff around on it no matter what....

Once you get riding and get into it, you'll start seeing stuff you want and your bike will change/evolve with you.    :)

rodslovechild

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:13 PM »
well it depends what i buy, 250-350 tops, i want something that i will actually be able to progress with and show that i am actually serious about getting into it and to not be laughed at when i first ride into the skatepark lol

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 07:52 PM »
As per the other thread.  See Stevie and get that Colony. Job done   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  novice night/day at the rom?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx