gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Frustrated and starting to get angry now.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Frustrated and starting to get angry now.  (Read 1050 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Frustrated and starting to get angry now.
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:14 PM »
Ok chaps my dilemma................

Virtually finished my very first rebuild so after wacking the last bits together i decided to take this puppy for a quick spin. bad points picked up.........

My chain ring and Power disc which are both straight had a massive wobble in it, when looking down on it, it went from left to right. I have removed some bits from the Flights and it is now 10x better but there is still a small wobble. How do you get these things to run true.

I had occasional clicking which i thought was from the crank but have now realised its from the rear hub, will investigate more tomorrow when less stressed.

Also the chain runs very very close to the rear dropout bits near the freewheel, enough to touch the frame at certain bits because of the slight twist in the front sprocket end. I dont have washers on the inside of the rear dropouts  as of yet but i think if i do this may sort this problem as the frame will be spaced a bit further away from the chain.

Any of you guys have any answers to my problems, i've had to put the bike down now as i've been working on this problem for over 3 hours with no solution.

Cheers :'( :'( :'(

Andy
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

adeshere

Re: Frustrated and starting to get angry now.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:33 PM »
The clicking could just be where your chain is going tight with the movement of your chain wheel.

zed4130

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:39 PM »
andy have you got a hat type washer on your chainring ? just a thought ,

paul

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Dont know what that is Paul. :LolLolLolLol:  I had a black thing that was going from the crank arm to the power disc but i have now removed that and it seems to be a lot better without it.
The arm now bolts straight to the disc.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>> Just did a search and yes i am using one of them, it fis into the power disc to keep it straight ?????? Y/N ???

I'm using it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:53 PM by Southern Andy »

zed4130

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:53 PM »
it goes in the hole in the center of the chainring, so it fits nice on the axel   :daumenhoch: without the chainring moves about  :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58 PM »
it goes in the hole in the center of the chainring, so it fits nice on the axel   :daumenhoch: without the chainring moves about  :)

Yep using that mate, amazingly in the right place aswell.  :2funny: :2funny:

Why are there never instructions when you buy things like Flight cranks. :yahoo_silent: :yahoo_silent:

zed4130

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00 PM »
cranks can be fiddly mate, trial and error sometimes,  :-\

munners

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I reckon your chainring is buckled and your bearings/race may need replacing in your BB.  Buckiling will rectify itself with riding. I have had that problem b4. ;)

munners

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07 PM »
You haven't got the correct washers/bolts on the rear axle which is why the chain is running too close to the chainstay.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I reckon your chainring is buckled and your bearings/race may need replacing in your BB.  Buckiling will rectify itself with riding. I have had that problem b4. ;)

Everything is brand new Mr Munners, especially the chainring and the flights. The bearings that came with the flights were still in a sealed bag.

I'll take it apart again tomorrow when i'm more awake.

cheers anyway mate.

zed4130

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:11 PM »
its frustrating andy, wish it was here so i could take a look, im like the local bike repair man around here   :LolLolLolLol:

munners

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 09:15 PM »

Everything is brand new Mr Munners, especially the chainring and the flights. The bearings that came with the flights were still in a sealed bag.

cheers anyway mate.

Didnt know that mate. ;)

Dont rush.....take your time. Building is to enjoy not to hate. ;)

Always walk away and try again the next day. ;)

zed4130

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 09:22 PM »

cheers anyway mate.

Didnt know that mate. ;)

then if that dont work get the hammer out    :LolLolLolLol:

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 01:27 PM »

cheers anyway mate.

Didnt know that mate. ;)

Wise words there mate, apparently my wife has said this is my last build, it was also my first. :LolLolLolLol:

Financially this build has cost a few quid but it was well worth it. :4_17_5:

Will try with the problems a bit later, the rear wheel needs some washers on it and it will pull away from the frame then.

cheers guys.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 01:51 PM »
When you fitted the back wheel, was there much free play between it and the frame?  If so, you want to space that out with washers so its snug as it slides into the dropouts.

As for the chainring wobble, before you start on that, have a look along the length of your chain. It should run perfectly straight between front and rear sprockets. It you can see any deviation in this, it would suggest the two sprockets are offset, not in line. You'll need to sort that out at the same time you can cure the wobble too.  It might need a little washer or two between the crank arm and sprocket, I had to do this once.  If you're lucky, you'll find the front sprocket is spaced out too far and that is causing the chain to hit the frame.

The 'tophat' washer previously mentioned can be fitted either way round, so it can act as a spacer too should you need it.   :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:07 PM »
When you fitted the back wheel, was there much free play between it and the frame?  If so, you want to space that out with washers so its snug as it slides into the dropouts.

To fit the wheel i have to actually prize  the frame apart, especially now it has some washers on the inside. Since i have put the washers on the inside the chain is no longer rubbing on the frame.

As for the chainring wobble, before you start on that, have a look along the length of your chain. It should run perfectly straight between front and rear sprockets. It you can see any deviation in this, it would suggest the two sprockets are offset, not in line. You'll need to sort that out at the same time you can cure the wobble too.  It might need a little washer or two between the crank arm and sprocket, I had to do this once.  If you're lucky, you'll find the front sprocket is spaced out too far and that is causing the chain to hit the frame.

The chain ring wobble is still there, bloody frustrating. I've taken them apart about twenty times now, i have tried different chain rings and it's still the same. I've looked from the back to front and the chain doesn't run straight. The deviation is suggesting that the front sprocket is out too much, there are no spacers on it apart from that black volcano shaped cover that is covering the sealed bearings. If i remove that, it could be straight but what about crap getting in to the bottom bracket.

The 'tophat' washer previously mentioned can be fitted either way round, so it can act as a spacer too should you need it.   :)

I've only used it the one way so far, i'll try it the other way. cheers for your help.

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 08:08 PM »

I've got a set of new flights and I tried last week to fit them, what a pain in the arse! I need to go back to try again.  But my chainring was running all over the place as well and I reckon it is because the top hat washer is too big.. i.e. when you push it into the chainring or spider in my case it does not fit flush (it sticks out a bit on the other side), so when you bring the crank arm up to it, it knocks it out of line. I reckon you might need to file it down a bit.

Andy.       

othomas2

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 01:07 PM »
For clicking, keep in mind that the clicking could be your freewheel... I posted this thread and believed initially that it might be the twin pinch cranks...

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=59994.0

Check that one of the chain links isn't very stiff... usually a case of the chain breaker tightening the links too hard together. I found this was the cause of the notorious chain bobbing on my recent build. Everytime is was passing the chain wheel or freewheel it the link angled is was that locked up. Also you need to leave a certain amount of give in the chain, don't tighten it up too much.

What wheels are you running ?? I've had a clicking noise from skyways... due to cracks in the bearing cups, so something else to consider.

As for the wobble see what part of the rotation it's wobbling and use the washers to compensate... paying particular attention to the smaller support in the right hand crank arm. I had problems with this too.

Washers are also the key for the chain clearance on the rear stays.

Just me little experience... it can be frustrating but totally fixable in the end.

O

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Frustrated and starting to get angry now.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx