gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 12:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Outing auctions...?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Outing auctions...?  (Read 744 times)

dannywhiteley

Outing auctions...?
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:07 AM »
What do you think when your watching something on ebay that might be slightly off most peoples radar, then it gets flashed up here in a thread outing the auction to everybody?

Previous forums in unrelated hobbies have frowned on this, and auction items are not discussed until after its closed, but here it seems positively encouraged?

This isnt related to any particular post, im just curious on your thoughts.

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Outing auctions...?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:17 AM »
on the fence about this one

as JLC from friday night project would say:

if it is something you've been hunting for ages and possibly might miss or have missed (GOOD TIMES) :daumenhoch:

not so good if your trying to score a bargain (BAD TIMES) :2gunsfiring_v1:

Lazarou

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:19 AM »
I think it's a no no, if you know someone is after something just PM them!

Ebay used to be about bargains!

...plus whatever it is you can bet plenty of Radsters are on it already!

dannywhiteley

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Exactly, its not fair on those who have spent the time searching badly worded auctions, wrongly listed etc to find a bargain.

It opens it up to people who may not be actively searching, but fancy a punt (or even to deliberatley drive up the price to stop someone else getting a bargain - not saying this happens on here, but seen it happen on other forums).

scowey

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:25 AM »
We are very excitable it seems and just cant resist posting that auction...

then later realise you have just outpriced yourself  :2funny: :2funny:

I trust this is related to the gen 1 haro..

dannywhiteley

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:40 AM »
No, not particularly, although it did surprise me that someone intersted in buying it would post it up.

Of course, a well titled auction like 'Old School BMX Haro Gen 1 Freestyler blah blah' is going to be found by anybody actively searching, but its the titles like 'BMX bike' or 'Vintage B.M.X.' that take a bit more seraching for and its these bargains that should be kept quiet until auction end.

Or atleast just post a the pic of the item if there are any questions.

p.s. I was never intersted in the Gen 1, it passed my price bracket within the first few hours.  Skyways are more my thing ;)

scowey

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:43 AM »
with you on the skyway thing danny  :)

anyway back to the thread..sorry  :-[

2020mad

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:51 AM »
Find it yourselfs,  typo's, bad listings, whatever. my gain.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 04:05 PM »
It's a no no IMO , if you ain't found it = tough  :-\

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 04:18 PM »
i believe everyone on here looks at ebay same as me all the time so if i see summat theres loads more already seen it

munners

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20 PM »
i believe everyone on here looks at ebay same as me all the time so if i see summat theres loads more already seen it

EXACTLY!!!

othomas2

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 04:25 PM »
It's only fair if everyone knows about this..  :)

http://www.fatfingers.co.uk/

Frosty

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 04:29 PM »
The Gen 1 would never be missed unless it managed to get listed short and say when MK is on etc, but as it was there would have been stacks of watchers and we'll have to wait for the snipers to out themselves!!

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Exactly, its not fair on those who have spent the time searching badly worded auctions, wrongly listed etc to find a bargain.

It opens it up to people who may not be actively searching, but fancy a punt (or even to deliberatley drive up the price to stop someone else getting a bargain - not saying this happens on here, but seen it happen on other forums).

Yeah i agree with this it drives prices up for those interested. In the american forums they take a friggin contract out on you if you out an auction, :2gunsfiring_v1: its really discouraged

Broggie

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 08:24 PM »
its a double edged sword, on the one hand you have yourself hunting for a bargain and it gets bid out of your reach...on the other hand if it were something you would love to have and someone told you about it, then you won it...wouldnt you be pleased?

The thing that really annoys me about ebay is when somebody comes in on an auction you've bid on and bids up near your maximum bid, then sods off leaving you to pay more for the item than you otherwise would have  :tickedoff:

Ray.

COZZFATHER

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 11:22 AM »
i have spent many many hours Danny searching for the elusive bike, i only ever saw white ones or a frame re done the wrong colour,which meant i would have to redo it again, i consider it a proper result when finding what you want without people realising what it is or it not being listed correctly.

i bid nearly 350 notes on a firebird but it was in white so it would have cost more to re do the frame,bars,seat post etc.
i  have bid on 2 other firebirds and just a f+f until i got the one i wanted.

a woman once said to me "God loves a tryer" and  i remember that when my luck feels like its chucked its hand in :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Outing auctions...?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx