gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 10:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern Frame geometry???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Modern Frame geometry???  (Read 803 times)

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Modern Frame geometry???
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:31 PM »
is it me, or do modern frames look weirdly squashed? Whats the logic behind the angles?

Maybe i'm old, but they just dont look as good? (waits for abuse!)

:LolLolLolLol:

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Modern Frame geometry???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:04 PM »
 :) It`s you.You`re old! Modern bikes do have steeper headangles (for more responsive steering) and lower standover height.

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:47 PM »
booo! I am old, unfortunately! :'(

there must be some trade off for the quicker steering/lower height? Cos otherwise, BITD they'd have gone for same?

darkersomeday

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:40 PM »
booo! I am old, unfortunately! :'(

there must be some trade off for the quicker steering/lower height? Cos otherwise, BITD they'd have gone for same?

you have to take into consideration the fact the most old school bikes were designed for kids to ride,

the average rider age now is way above what it used to be back then, consequently frames have grown too,

the low toptube i think is a tailwhip thing, it makes the bike feel less intrusive to me too,

plus most old school frames were designed by dads and company nobs etc, these days its all rider input,

hope that helps.

stylewise, i love the way new school bikes look in the same way i love the way modern cars look, i really like the old stuff but it'll always come 2nd best as its old/dead technology in my eyes.

lodge

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I dont  think there's any trade off. people that start riding again often make the mistake of buying a bike similar to the bike they had when they stopped riding but soon come round to new school bikes because they ride so much better.
Old skool bikes looks nice but they ride terrible compared to the new stuff and there not strong enough for todays riding, the bikes had to evolve alongside the riding.

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Ah ha!

Thank you all for your comments, they all make sense and are very intersesting...

I guess I was bought up with old school geometry, so that looks "normal" to me.....

Whats really worrying is I now sound like the old b*stards who used to say "they dont make 'em like the used to" :coolsmiley: Doh!

darkersomeday

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 03:57 PM »
"they dont make 'em like the used to" :coolsmiley: Doh!

they're made WAY better now than they used to be :daumenhoch:

evamedia

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30 PM »
11 stone, I still ain't made that and I'm 36 and 6'1" , hmmm, doesn't seem to be a smiley for skinny bastard

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern Frame geometry???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx