gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 20, 2024, 01:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  More memories...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: More memories...  (Read 1650 times)

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
More memories...
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:22 PM »
I was hanging out at Johnny Severin's shop yesterday.  After our usual bench racing, I was about to leave when he said "Check this out before you go."

He shows me an album that was brought in by Larry Dubois full of late 70s pictures taken at larger events like nationals, La Mirada etc.  As we checked out page after page I saw many familiar tracks and faces and like the "lost starting gate" from a few days before.  It brought some long-forgotten memories.

We came across a race in Tecate Mexico back in 79.  BMX Action covered the race and it was one of the forst organized that included 26 cruisers.  Lots of great pictures and then we got to the sidehack page.

I recognized Pepe Mason and Robert Kahler (now with GT Bicycles)in the lead.

Then what I believe is my friend Mike Hardaway (who was piloting a different hack that day)  and a kid named Art (Whose name eludes my old memory right now.)

And then some familiar person apparently causing typical chaos at a hack race.

The memory of pushing the competing hack as it attempted to run over my foot as I pushed desperately trying to qualify came into my mind almost as it was yesterday.

This was the same day which in a later moto Oz gave me the honor of remembering.  :)

A great day off with my kids, friends, and topped off with a 31 year old picture that I had never seen.

Thanks guys.

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: More memories...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:34 PM »
classic.

Can't even imagine what those early days were like. Good stuff.

Dennis Dain

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Ahh...yes...Rick telling tales of his (mis)adventures from the good ol days. :2funny:

So, Rick are you saying here that you somehow reached out and did something that caused that other hack to crash? LOL Why I am not surprised? I have learned from first hand experience that Rick can get somewhat intense and is quite competitive when it comes to racing the hack. When Rick and first raced a hack together back in 07, I made an outside/inside move in the first turn but did not take out the lead hack. He said after that I should have blasted them... :D

Tell us more...

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

More sidehack pics and stories please (that goes out to Dennis as well).

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:38 PM »
yeah,  please  :angel:

roman chariot race also could have evolved to this, you know  ;)

Dennis Dain

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Here is a video shot by Ben Or back in 07 at our BMX Legends BBQ in Arizona. Probably the last time all of us old timers will be in the same place together. An amazing weekend. Anyway, after my intro, Bob Osborn tells a GREAT story about our very own Rick (Reilley).

Watck and enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82cpEamJpLY

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  More memories...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx