gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 03:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  new skool tech or air tricks, what's your view
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new skool tech or air tricks, what's your view  (Read 2354 times)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
new skool tech or air tricks, what's your view
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:11 PM »
don't think this topic has ever been discussed yet so now's the time :)

two good examples of todays young riders,

it was only after a new vid that's just been posted that it got me thinking about this,

one reply was he can't air,  now you take billy-bmx who loves big air tricks and can go very big,

on the box or pipes, does some tech but but not really his love :)

isaac, massive tech but don't air and admits to billy he would love to be able to learn air tricks,

billy has been called air boy cause he don't do a lot of tech ;D

i personally love air tricks, 1/4 pipe variations, jump box variations, any trick that's pulled way above the coping

lf you look at the dew tour, xgames ect, hardly any tech, even tech in vert has almost died :(

when i see a foot jam it just looks boring,  just my opinion,

and the worse at the mo is foot jam then another foot jam ???

now the two tech guys that i could watch all day are s&malex and c.b.c.l, both past masters of tech and no foot jams,

this is only my opinion, daniel dhers at the masters last year showed the way forward,

what do you think guys ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:27 PM by SuperBikeDan »
For powder coating drop me a pm

dj_benice

Re: tech or air tricks, what's your view
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:22 PM »
There's a place for them both imho but if you want my preference gotta be airs all the time, still love when old spicoli aired onto the balcony thing then dropped back in come on andy your better with details than me, when where etc :) 

macky

Re: tech or air tricks, what's your view
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Most riders go with either one or the other.... tech or big airs!

many riders i know that go big are not really that technical when they ride...

and some of the tech wizards i see don't really tend to go that big!!

I think...  'Go big or go home'  myself!!  but i would like to see a good mix of both in a rider...

Ya just can't beat big air tricks!!!

Some nice tech in this;

http://www.vitalbmx.com/videos/popular/DK-Team-Indoor-Session,2287/Losey,112

And some nice big stuff in this;

http://video.mpora.com/watch/kdSb0oUHh/

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:22 PM by DaveMc. »

Voodoocars

Re: new skool tech or air tricks, what's your view
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Defo airs for me.Love watching even if its just an old table style.The reason for this is because bitd all I ever did was air 1/4 pipes.There were no tech tricks like there are now.All due respect to these tail whippers and bar spinners ( you have to see fashionrider in action to see a fast tailwhip),but its just not my bag.Give me vert ramp any day.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Hey Dan...how's things mate?

Hope Bill's made a full recovery?

Coming down 1st weekend in May so I might see yer!

Good thread....I think you're right it hasn't been done before.

I personally love big air, just my choice both as a rider and spectator. However, I do still like watching tech, as mention Alex is superb but I also used to enjoy watching James Hudson, very very good techy rider, super smooth too which isn't always easy when doing tech stuff. But I do prefer to watch tech with brakes, might be just me being old fashioned but I'd much sooner see a nose pick with brakes than one with their foot jammed in the wheel.

I'm gonna sound really old here but I think it just fooks up a perfectly good pair of Vans and why would you want to do that when you can just use your brake.  :idiot2:

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:05 PM by Flatcap »
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:50 PM »
alrite daz, yeah i'm fine and billys back havin it ;)

i think this thread should open up every bmxers emotion as to what they like today,

a flair to tyre tap to 180 in is not tech,  nor is a 360 whip to tap, and so on,

these foot jams will never look as gracefull as the front brake tricks, same trick but pulled

with a front brake,   dave ossato, does them all and makes these new skool kids look beginners :daumenhoch:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Big air has always been the hardest thing to do........

Personally like a mix of both, but no more than 2 tricks in one move or it just looks contrived....

And footjams suck!

keyhole kid

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 09:51 PM »
airs all day long for me dan.................

Trev

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00 PM »
i can't do either at the mo, but when i got back into riding, all i wanted to do was learn to air.

i do like a lot of the 90's tech stuff. mike o'connell is a joy to watch. i also love watching alex, C.B.C.L. & raey900tap ride.

but i really liked watching people like Carlo, Mike Canning, Neil Ruffell airing and now watching PaulM and Gerry ride vert.

The best air in my opinion is an invert (or a table as the new school kids call it).  Neil R used to do them sweet.  Carlo's big air invert at the Tizer worlds is probably my favourite of all time. PaulM does them really nice these days.

macky

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25 PM »

Now you put a pic of a footjam nose pick next to that!!

I know which one i prefer!!  ;D

superFLY69

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:32 PM »
WOW

early signs are air all the way

I really appreciate big air
big 3 whips
flips
flip whips
etc
& big vert kills !!
always thought the early rounds at a vert comp where more interesting as all the lip tricks come out.
canadians on vert "holy sh1t" or what.

but i have to say that the tech stuff has me hooked.
i agree that the foot jam stuff looks ugly but you gotta love the dedication of the new schoolers to learn that stuff.

i could sit and watch raey900tap till he tech'ed his self out
 claggets got super cool moves and Maylon is double tech as well as big
PaulM got all the tech stuff dialled to. 

i think the thread has started due to the issac vid
loved it to  bits i think he is one of the best all round riders i have seen,(sure i've seen him go big to)
billy mills inspires me too big airs and tech.

i would love to see billy-bmx throw a few more tech moves but still think he is the "Don"

after all that said i'm sure its just my age now

can't go big for sh1t

no knees left!!

anyway keep it up all
its all riding
later
"P"

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:36 PM »
air.
I want to touch ORB

Trev

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:37 PM »

Now you put a pic of a footjam nose pick next to that!!

I know which one i prefer!!  ;D

I knew you'd like that pic Dave.  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 10:44 PM »
paul this is what i love about this thread, i point towards 75%  air and 25% tech, the 360 tail whip has to

be the most gracefull stylish trick todate, not the hardest in terms but so fooking stylish 8)

now paul m, our new great vert rider, airs the biggest you will ever see and a master at vert tech but not this

new skool stuff,  again paul m with alex and phil, a class of there own ;)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01 PM »
first of all i'd like to thank superbikedan and trev for the props!

i like to watch all types of riding apart from newschool. i just can't get on with its lack of grace! it bores me to death.

when it comes to airs its bestwick for me. used to ride at derby every tuesday with him and i've never seen anything so smooth or high, i can watch it all day

air jumping has to be isaac (groundchuck) mcrea. rode for standard in the late 90's. super smooth, super high, basic tricks with style.

tech, a number of riders for me, firstly rick moliterno, luc-e for a different take on riding street, osato, freimuth, miron, and of the more modern era tobias wicke, puts the new kids to shame! and myself of course because i'm vain!

if i had to choose one discipline though it would have to be tech, but particularly with a mid style, so much more scope and variation, and originallity thrown in

oldschool rider

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 01:21 AM »
My personal favourites:

New Kidz - Scotty Crammer (That kids a robot) he's almost too dialled :daumenhoch:
                  Daniel Dhers, Craig Mast, Morgan "Everything Huge" Wade

Big Air Vert - Jamie Bestwick (Soooo Smooth), Dave Mirra (Great Style), Dennis McCoy (  :4_17_5: ) and the man who changed it all Mat Hoffman (The Condor)

Now back to the question, I like a good mix and i like the park style setup comps the best I think that brings out the best of every rider giving them an equal  playing field with unlimited lines to choose from, But I think it would be even better if the kids put front brakes back on their bikes foot jamin looks wrong imho ,
Canadian Nosepicks, No Footed Nosepicks, G-turn to Backwards Dropins (ala DMC) all great lookin tricks and require brakes to make them look good.

I love freestyle old and new but I think today it lacks style, Sure it's far more technical and the kids are doing amazing things but it all looks the same,
Tailwhips, Barspins & Flairs are the new Framewhip, Boomerang & Air but the kids don't learn alot of the old school or even mid school stuff nowadays, and they were the tricks that made the sport what it is today so i think if riders mixed it up a bit more the sport could get really exciting again.

andy619

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54 PM »
80% air
20% tech

motomagII

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 01:07 PM »
me i love and cant do either .tech tricks are really good but you cant beat big air tricks .love anything that is done on bmx really

perry

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 02:43 PM »
flow

spinmaster

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 02:58 PM »
airs all day long for me dan.................

except when you're doing flat  :LolLolLolLol:

welsh denny

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:55 PM »
you cannot beat watching someone blasting away on a 1/4 or halfpipe. to do variations on top of that takes skill and guts. big element of danger which makes it more exciting for the spectator. the fear factor.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 07:46 PM »
big airs with flow for me, not just hucking at a quarter, its gotta be smooth  8)

tech is still well cool, as its all bike control at the end of the day, everyone enjoys nibbling at tech its fun   :)

tech at vert doesnt win comps anymore, probably why many vert riders have removed pegs and brakes. I read an article on Hoffman where he says he relearnt all his tech tricks brakeless  :daumenhoch:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:47 PM »
paul this is what i love about this thread, i point towards 75%  air and 25% tech, the 360 tail whip has to

be the most gracefull stylish trick todate, not the hardest in terms but so fooking stylish 8)

now paul m, our new great vert rider, airs the biggest you will ever see and a master at vert tech but not this

new skool stuff,  again paul m with alex and phil, a class of there own ;)

Not the hardest...??! I can 360, but can't tailwhip and to me 3 whips are mega hard!
How are we defining "tech" here?
What is "tech" in most peoples opinion?

Sean 2000

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 10:44 PM »
"How are we defining "tech" here?
What is "tech" in most peoples opinion?"

Er........Rob Ridge!  :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 11:54 PM »
We had a bit of a discussion tonight about defining tech.

What is a big 3 whip on a jump box classed as? or a double whip 8ft out?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  new skool tech or air tricks, what's your view

gfxgfx
gfx gfx