gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 11:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re-chrome, powder or original chrome? Pic now inside...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Re-chrome, powder or original chrome? Pic now inside...  (Read 972 times)

dannywhiteley

Re-chrome, powder or original chrome? Pic now inside...
« on: April 11, 2008, 04:53 PM »
I have just received my new TA in the post :) and after stripping it down to bare frame and forks it appears to be in great shape physically.  Only problem is light pitting in the original chrome, few scuffs and light surface scratches (probably from over enthusiastic cleaning BITD).

Ive stripped off the decals as they were shot, and had a quick polish and it looks like you could get an acceptable fininsh to the original chrome, but will never be show quality.  I am considering a white powder, a rechrome or keeping it original and need some advice on pricing of good powder or chrome.

Its a 1983 Japanese model (K 01344) with curved rear bridge.  I heard that all the Jap frames were chrome, so would it be wrong to powder it white?  I did always want a white T/A...

No pics at the mo, but imagine a nice used frame/forks with some pitting and some very light surface rust around the BB.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:59 PM by dannywhiteley »

munners

Re: Re-chrome, powder or original chrome? Opinions and prices...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 04:58 PM »
If i bought an old chrome f+f i would always intend to keep it original and i would always start with a nice Oxalic bath! ;) Then i would start to polish. Only my opinion but it has worked wonders for me.  ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:51 PM »
With Munners on this, Oxalic acid bath would do it the world of good, if you are still not happy then re-chrome as most of the really hard work is already done for the plater.  HOWEVER, I also think you should do what makes you happy  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

dannywhiteley

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 05:57 PM »
What are the approximate prices of chroming and powdering frames?  Thats one consideration...

The other is Is it acceptable to have a white Jap frame T/A? ;)

If I get good results from cleaning the frame (following Swivels tips) then I will be happy with it as a survivor.  However if I struggle to get a nice result, I have always wanted a white T/A so with the cost of powder vs chrome, would probably powder it.

munners

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Do what you want to make you happy. Sometimes things always eat away at me though if they aint right. ;) 

I think chrome TA's are the nuts though.  :smitten:

ANY OLD EXCUSE!  ;D ;D

dannywhiteley

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Sweet T/A, hope mine looks half as good as that.

Thing is I got a pair of alloy hubbed Tuffs with them, and they arent mint, so would probably be better as a survivor build.

munners

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:13 PM »

Thing is I got a pair of alloy hubbed Tuffs with them, and they arent mint, so would probably be better as a survivor build.

Now that is a different issue all together.......matching NOS and original on a build. I have done that on only 1 of my builds and that was my GEN 1 as i would never find a NOS f+f! :'(

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:16 PM »

Now that is a different issue all together.......matching NOS and original on a build. I have done that on only 1 of my builds and that was my GEN 1 as i would never find a NOS f+f! :'(

Terry Jenkins has one BNIB  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Yeh i know Marty but do you think he would sell!  :LolLolLolLol:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I gonna build it as a survivor, with the black tuffs, and blue parts.

New set of decals on its way,  and after a good polish will make all the difference.

One thing though... I really want Redline flights, and will go for dual pinch (I know, I know, but I like them amd im not made of money... :) ), which considerin the prices from the US will be a brand new set. 

Anyone got a nice cheap used set???

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:18 PM by dannywhiteley »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Yeh i know Marty but do you think he would sell!  :LolLolLolLol:

eerrrr maybe not  :D  :LolLolLolLol:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 09:58 PM »
Here we go, after a quick autosol, still a few more polishing hours to go...  Dont think it needs a rechrome, what do you reckon?  New set of decals and it'll be reet as a survivor.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Here we go, after a quick autosol, still a few more polishing hours to go...  Dont think it needs a rechrome, what do you reckon?  New set of decals and it'll be reet as a survivor.

Coming along nicely, have you used Peek?  Try using brasso as well to get any swirl marks out too  :daumenhoch:.

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Re-chrome, powder or original chrome? Pic now inside...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 04:51 PM »
i'd be giving it a blast with some brasso.....leave it on for a bit then take it off and repeat a few times..youd be suprised how many extra bits of shit you get rid of!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re-chrome, powder or original chrome? Pic now inside...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx