gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 06:42 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  spray painting over powder coat???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: spray painting over powder coat???  (Read 1465 times)

firebird4130

spray painting over powder coat???
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:13 PM »
Hi, can anyone please tell me if you can spraypaint over sanded down powdercoat or if you need to remove it,
Cheers

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: spray painting over powder coat???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Hi, can anyone please tell me if you can spraypaint over sanded down powdercoat or if you need to remove it,
Cheers

spray paints fine mate as long as you use two pack, the solvents in the paint soffen the powder and that makes the

bond, don't use can spray :)
For powder coating drop me a pm

firebird4130

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:42 PM »
thanks for the reply dan, sorry but I'm just beginning with the bike spraying thing and not too sure what two pack is. Also can you tell me a good way of doing laquering coz you know I can't sometimes keep track of where I've laquered and where I've missed and sometimes it runs, is there a tip for getting it spot on?

Cheers

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:10 AM »
thanks for the reply dan, sorry but I'm just beginning with the bike spraying thing and not too sure what two pack is. Also can you tell me a good way of doing laquering coz you know I can't sometimes keep track of where I've laquered and where I've missed and sometimes it runs, is there a tip for getting it spot on?

Cheers

the best way for laquering to get it spot on is to send it to http://www.pwsfinishing.co.uk/  ;D

For powder coating drop me a pm

firebird4130

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Ah the old trade secrets  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:18 PM »
dont use 1 pack laquar as the finish is crap, get someone to do 2 pack, it lasts ages and the finish is spot on,you will need someone with a spray gun and compressor to do this, like me :daumenhoch:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:43 PM »
you can get a good finish with canned laquer. just look at lazarous frame i did.

easy process, spray the laquer on in fine coats, to avoid any running. you'll end up with quite a rough finish but eventually an even spread. then with 2000 grit wet and dry paper flat down the laquer to provide a smooth finish then polish with t-cut, or pretty much any other car polish to be honest.

can't be asred to find the thread but it is titled 'is there no end to his talents' posted by lazarou about 3 weeks ago if you search for it

Lazarou

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 06:51 PM »
cheers buddy

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:04 AM »
you can get a good finish with canned laquer. just look at lazarous frame i did.

easy process, spray the laquer on in fine coats, to avoid any running. you'll end up with quite a rough finish but eventually an even spread. then with 2000 grit wet and dry paper flat down the laquer to provide a smooth finish then polish with t-cut, or pretty much any other car polish to be honest.

can't be asred to find the thread but it is titled 'is there no end to his talents' posted by lazarou about 3 weeks ago if you search for it

thats the problem with acrilic laquar you have to polish it like mad to get a ok finish, then you run the risk of polishing through the laquar onto the base coat, eventually it will dull off again, lots of hard work :'(
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

zed4130

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 10:10 AM »
clear plasticoat is good aswell, B and Q  or homebase, i did my mates forks in matt black, but we decided to clear coat gloss. they looked sweet,  :4_17_5:

firebird4130

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Thanks for those tips, I laquered my cyclecraft frame and have started wet and drying it, it's going really well then I went over the sanded down dull laquer with the rough side of a kitchen scourer, then polish vigourously with an old t shirt until the whole coat is even in colour, I use an area that I have missed with the sandpaper, like the weld where the toptube meets the seat tube as a guide for how intense the colour and shine should be. Next I'm gonna try the car polish thing, just wondering if this is ok to do before adding decals? will they stick if theres any wax in the product,?
Cheers

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 11:27 PM »
that'll be fine dude!

get some pics up when its done

firebird4130

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 06:48 PM »
yeah will do, cheers  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  spray painting over powder coat???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx