gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 05:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dumd question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dumd question  (Read 433 times)

wrennas

Dumd question
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Hi,

I know this is probably a very dumb question but what brake configurations would fit this Ripper XL (93') it seems to have everything...I would stick a Pitbull on but then you are left with the mounts at the top, which will look lame? I guess a V brake would fit it but what would suit a bike of that age?

Manufactures and models would be a great help if anybody could, then I could start to search, or if anybody has anything blue that would look good that would be even better!

Once the last bits come over from the US (ebay) this week it’s ready to be built up for the summer....

Cheers

Stuart

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Dumd question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:05 PM »
iwould guess at a V brake....but if you wanted to run a Pit Bull then just buy some nice Hope caps for the V brake bosses

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:20 PM »
Dare to be different, stick a Magura rim brake on (like trials bikes have)  :coolsmiley:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22 PM »
or an old Avid Arch rival? 

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I'd stick a red Shimano DX BMX v-brake on it as that was the first BMX specific v-brake.

Is it really a 1993 frame?  I would have had it down for a 1996 or later model as v-brakes didn't really become popular in BMX until late 1995/early 1996.

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 02:23 PM »
If any help, Mike...
I've got a Floval with the same 3-ways-brake setup, I was pretty sure it was a 94 model, but former owner told me he purchased it in the US in summer of '92, and showed me pics to prove it.
This scheme lasted only for one year from what I know...

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:53 PM »
If any help, Mike...
I've got a Floval with the same 3-ways-brake setup, I was pretty sure it was a 94 model, but former owner told me he purchased it in the US in summer of '92, and showed me pics to prove it.
This scheme lasted only for one year from what I know...

That's interesting.  Odd that they put canti mounts (v-brakes weren't even invented in 1992 as I think the first Shimano V-brakes for mountain bikes became available in 1994) on there in the early 90s for a year then took them off again until the mid 90s.

Another example of the real SE Racing being ahead of its time.

wrennas

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:01 PM »
The only reason I thought it could be a 93 is after reading this on a US site regarding telling the ages of models from the frame rather than serial number etc…and its got upper and lower brake cable guides….It requires  a 1 inch threaded fork so I assume that means its pre 95’ according to this?

'79-'84 = Loop tail
'85 on  = built in seat clamp, non loop tail
mid '85 = straight chain stays (only one year before the change)
'86 on  = curved chain stays
'90-'93 = lower Pitbull brake mount
'93 only = upper and lower brake cable guides
'94 on  = canti or v brake mounts
'95 on  = 1 1/8 threadless stem/headset
'98 on  = 'SE' downtube decal instead of 'PK Ripper'
'99      = last year for US made products before sale to Fuji

Regards

Stuart

wrennas

Re: Dumb question
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Just seen another built up on BMXMuseum with a red Shimano DX BMX v-brake..looks pretty cool how easy are these to track down?

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/se_racing/9779

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dumd question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx