gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pro class wheels with Maillard sealed hubs???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pro class wheels with Maillard sealed hubs???  (Read 2317 times)

electro808

Pro class wheels with Maillard sealed hubs???
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I've just received a set of Pro Class wheels which I won on the French ebay site.  Anyway, the wheels have Maillard hubs (dated 1984) and I was curious as to whether they were standard equipment on any old school Mongoose bikes.  I'm going to polish the rims and rims and rebuild the wheels so I'd like to know if the hubs are worth keeping?  I'd prefer to use a high flange hub but it's always best to keep things original when possible...

selfpreservation

Re: Pro class wheels with Maillard sealed hubs???
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:50 PM »
theyre not standard on proclass

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Maillard hubs were stock on some "high end " Motobecane's

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:18 PM »
If I remember right they are a good French make and should look very clean, be interested in pics when you get them.  I remember bitd we used to build a lot of BMX race wheels using raod race hubs, generally Campag or Mavic so nothing wrong with those hubs in your wheels  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

electro808

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20 PM »
I'll polish the hubs tomorrow and see what they look like.  I remember seeing a few Burners (or stylers) using Maillard hubs BITD but not like these ones.  Did Motobecanes use Pro Class rims?  The hubs and spokes look pretty original to me.  I'll post some pics tomorrow but I'll probably use high flanges for this wheel build - they look great on Pro Class rims.  I could always use the maillards on another build.  So, who's got some Pro Class rim strips for me? ;)

alex65

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09 AM »
No Pro Class rims on Motobecane. for FRENCH export maillard hubs with PRO CLASS rims are on the Mongoose French version. Nice hubs with original systm of freewheels. Nice but fragile.

electro808

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Here's a pic of those Maillard hubs.  They are pretty cool old school hubs but I wanted to use high flange hubs on my Pro Class rims so I doubt I'll do anything with them.  I think I'll put them on eBay and maybe some Frenchman will have a bid on them.  The Pro Class rims came out nice too (they haven't been trued yet, though) but the dull weather doesn't make for great pics :daumenhoch:

Pro Class

I recently bought an '86 Mongoose Expert and rescued these parts from it.  The stem and clamp were originally anodised, black but it had faded to a goldie colour.  The pedals had various scuffs and scrapes but they buffed out nicely 8)    Still got the f+f, bars and post, I might try to trade it for something else :-\

Also polished the alloy hubs from a set of Zytecs.  Often regarded as Skyways poor cousin but I think they're a nice old school mag.  A nice shade of red, too - not like those new red Skyways, the colour seems really dark to me :-\  They came out pretty nice, too :coolsmiley:

Okay, enough with the show and tell ;D

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Bling  :coolsmiley: what equipment do you use to polish like that or do you do them by hand ?
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

electro808

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:06 PM »
PM sent, CrazyCraig :daumenhoch:

AxlFoley

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Slightly off topic, but can any one ID that seat post clamp, i need one for my Mongose decade.

Thanks

p.s. looks awesome polished!

snav69

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 07:21 PM »
The Robinson i am doing up for my mate has Pro Class rims with those hubs , dated 83 (same as the bike)  ;) only difference is that your freewheel locking nut is bigger than on his  :daumenhoch:
 :coolsmiley:

ps - AxlFoley - it looks like a DK to me  :-\
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:23 PM by snav69 »

electro808

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07 PM »
The clamp came with an '86 Mongoose Expert I picked up last week.  I assumed it was original to the bike as it was originally anodised black but had faded to that gold/brown colour the same as the stem.  Unfortunately the stem and clamp weren't stamped so it's hard to say what they are.  The clamp (and Expert f+f) has gone now but I still have the stem.  I don't need it, though.  I know this isn't the for sale section but it's £15, posted with recorded delivery if anyones interested.  It's nice...  and shiny 8)  (sorry, mods, if I'm out of line)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pro class wheels with Maillard sealed hubs???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx