gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  To chrome or not to chrome, thats the question?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: To chrome or not to chrome, thats the question?  (Read 1105 times)

steve Beech TA

To chrome or not to chrome, thats the question?
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:08 PM »

Now then as the title says.

I have a original chrome Tange Hot Heart and pre serial Hutch Pro Racer F&F. as i say they are both original chrome and look superb, not perfect but nice and shiny (they are 20 odd years old) Now for it to be a good contender for bike of the month etc, does a bike have to be rechromed to class it as a show pony good enough to be put up against some of the bike's that have had a re-chrome's.

I know that bike's cost allot to be re-chromed and that original chrome bike has not had the cash spent on it, but it probably cost more in the first place to buy.  but at the end of the day is a original chrome bike worth as much or i should say viewed with as much respect as a re-chrome, in the world of show bikes.

i am tempted to get them re-chromed as soon as i have the funds, but would i be doing the originality a injustice, but lose the chance of winning a title.

what is the opinion out there, i will stand aside for you views :daumenhoch:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: To chrome or not to chrome, thats the question?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Personally I say no to rechromes I prefer the original Chrome even if it's not perfect.

Theres nothing wrong with a good Survivor just as worthy a show winner as a £2000 bike in my opinion.

But their you bikes so the choice is up to you.

bodamus ;)

perry

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:48 PM »
if 90% of your parts are nos then maybe that slight blemish will eat away at you

i like to see a bike used , all those scratches tell a story in its life  :)

have a look over on vintagebmx and seek out ted carl , i think his name is ? he can make something original look better than new  ;)

for instance

and those caps arnt plastic  ;)

steve Beech TA

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 02:59 PM »
i see what your saying and WOW :4_17_5: those peds do look lush, but and i am playing devils advocate now, if a part is NOS and we re-chrome it are we losing the originality wich is seems most people are looking for, for instance date specific parts.

perry

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:33 PM »
to me new old stock is an item that hasnt been used , something that could be classed as new but taking into account its age so finger prints wouldnt take away from its new status , if say it had been taken out of its box and sat on a shelf id still call it nos even if it had faded a bit in the sun as it still hadnt been used for its purpose

having it rechromed wouldnt mean its still "original " it would be an accurate restoration , wheter or not it "needs" a rechrome is up to you and no one else really , i cant see anyone in engand looking down on it either way  :) same as i cant see anyone caring that say a brake cable on a build wasnt made in the same month

there will always be people that prefer it either way .

its the personal acomplishment in whatever you do , those pedals there were far from the state ted has made them into , notice the caps , they are plaster he moulded himself , not "original " but he used the skills he has to make them something that looked better , no one is going to argue with him that the caps arnt real , its what he wanted himself

i think its the journey and not the destination  :)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 03:46 PM »

christ them pedals look  W @NK

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 04:31 PM »
How to fook a good set of pedals :idiot2:...

Don't rechrome your frames, they will never look the same, and a re plated frame stands out like a sore thumb.

Give you frames a bit of time with a good quality polish, they will look sweet :daumenhoch:

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

perry

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 04:43 PM »
i think its excellent compared with what he had to start with

do what YOU want to do  :daumenhoch:

steve Beech TA

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:38 PM »
I hope i don't caused offence, with my devils advocate remark. I firmly believe that someone should build a bike as they wont to, at the end of the day we all changed bits on our bike's as and when new bits came out. my parents wernt loaded BITD and i had my frame for years but changed parts on it as they came out. All i am trying to ascertain is for a bike to do well what does it have to be made up of, its probably my own insecurities to the quality of my builds that's the prob! :daumenhoch: 

perry

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 08:44 PM »
i guess if competing is the aim , seek out previous winners and see why they were good

keep it fun  :)

2020mad

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 09:38 PM »
I love a good survivor bike it has character.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 12:57 PM »
You say your entering it for Bike of the month , which is really a bit like a show us your new builds really ( not serious like Bike of the year )  :)

I entered my my Gen 1 ,but people may like the Burners better ,
 so for one it's what catches people eye , not what it cost  :)

Do what you want and feel is cool  with restoration and builds
a good custom build ,a bit off the track, can be just what makes it special if done right

But also not to forget , resale value
basically once you change a component from its original appearance it loses resaleable value to most buyers
but this irrelavent if it's a keeper

steve Beech TA

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 01:51 PM »

Thanks all so far, i do appreciate all your comments. I think i am a bit wiser now. i think i will continue as i am from what you all say, piecing together what is probably a bit of a miss mach of parts that i like and remember, but keeping the concept of the bike clean looking and not to fussy. :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:39 PM by steve Beech TA »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 02:13 PM »

christ them pedals look  W @NK

Those are the words I was looking for  :daumenhoch:

TBH a show bike does not have to be super bling and minty, some are but most are not - just build them up how you want and enjoy them  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

steve Beech TA

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 02:01 PM »

I am not building a bike specificaly to put on in for bike of the month, i am defo not in that leage, its just that when i eventuly, finish a build it would be nice to show everyone and get some feed back, a bit of recognition, as my wife just thinks i am going through a midlife crisis, a bike is a bike to her wether its pink black or white.

Cheers  everyone :daumenhoch:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 02:14 PM »
those pedal have been over polished as never that good when new ,they look like dmr now .and survivor i say as too many polished turd out there now ,sell me the pro racer that sort you out   ;)
no1stuntmaster on instagram

steve Beech TA

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 06:30 AM »
those pedal have been over polished as never that good when new ,they look like dmr now .and survivor i say as too many polished turd out there now ,sell me the pro racer that sort you out   ;)

Sorry mate this is one i have been waiting for for a long time, i have paid for it but not collected it yet. and its killlllllllllllllllling me. I have got some bits for it but still on the look out for others, as and when i can afford them. mainly looking for stem and bars, but cash is low at mo

I am leaving it as is chrome wise

Cheers steve  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  To chrome or not to chrome, thats the question?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx