gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975746 Posts in 138932 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 09, 2024, 09:04 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  No OS at the Brits??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: No OS at the Brits??  (Read 2234 times)

kennyhunter6061

Re: No OS at the Brits??
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16 PM »
How about having racing on Saturday & Sunday at MK?  Saturday - Final Round of each Region's summer series, Sunday - Big Open Class where everyone can take part. (if there are any survivors left from Saturday!  ;D)  I know what you mean about the introduction of rules.  I wouldn't like to see the fun of the Oldschool class being hijacked at the Brits in the same was as the cruiser classes are - Just another chance for regular-class 20" riders to take a shot at a title.  Should Oldschool be treated as a class which MUST be ridden, and qualified through, at Regionals if you want to ride in OS at the Brits?  I know I keep going on about it, but I'm more excited about MK than the Brits.  MK is like our 'Jag World Championships'  :D  When I spoke to Roger earlier he was very enthusiastic about OS Racing, how exciting it was and how great it was that all the younger riders could see some of the fabulous oldschool bikes.  I don't think he or BC are particularly interested in 'taking over' or anything, I'm sure they'd be happy if we all came up with a set of rules for Oldschool and sent them a copy for their consideration.  Far better if we come up with our own rules than having someone else do it for us, eh?  ;)

dialledbikes

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 12:39 PM »
I think you have to be careful which rules you make for OS otherwise you run the risk of implementing a set of rules which are perceived as being engineered to suit a select number of individuals.

I'm not sure whether the whispers filtered through to the organisers of the OSWS, but several people questioned/commented about why every round counted towards the final ranking rather than
  • number of races from [y].

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 12:44 PM »
My view is that MK should be RADs showpiece, not complicated by other events. Rad was good enough to present the OSSS trophies last year, but tbh it dragged on lond after everyone wanted to be on their way, trying to sort the points and trophies out for the south meant I never enjoyed the weekend like I should have, so lets keep MK clear, keep it as a gathering and a piss up, with some quality North verses South battles >:D

As for the Brits, I would love the OSS to get recognition and be able to qualify then race the Brits, I cant see any valid reason why not.
I dont object to us having to qualify the same as everyone else, personally I could have qualified in two regions last year!!

I feel that racing at regional level is as good as we want it to get, I dont feel OS would fare very well at nationals, some of the national tracks would finish most of us off if im honest.
Some rules are needed, but just enough to keep it real, lets not over complicate it and lets keep it fun.

If the OS was not allowed at regionals then I seriously doubt I would bother going anymore.

Guys, help me out a bit, I will write to BCF tonight, give me some ideas, suggestions etc as to what the letter should say. Kenny and me have already had a long discussion, but it would be good to have some of your thoughts as well :daumenhoch:

A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I think you have to be careful which rules you make for OS otherwise you run the risk of implementing a set of rules which are perceived as being engineered to suit a select number of individuals.

I'm not sure whether the whispers filtered through to the organisers of the OSWS, but several people questioned/commented about why every round counted towards the final ranking rather than
  • number of races from [y].
I did hear a few whispers Mike, when we set up the OSWS we discussed it at length, it was decided for every round to count beacause the winter races are usually not as well attended and with every round counting it encouraged better attendance. It may have backfired on us and discouraged others joining in later in the series, but we live and learn and we can try and improve things for the better :daumenhoch:

The comment about every round counting helping certain individuals is unfare though, it meant I had to race 5 races with a broken thumb, it also meant everyone who was willing to brave the winter weather without excuses benifitted. I won the series despite only winning one round, Gary managed second and missed a round, so from where I am sitting that rule never really affected anyone who was willing to put the commitment in.

There was no criteria for a ranking or a plate though, so it meant anyone who raced could enter the series, even if it was just one or two races. :daumenhoch:

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Tony knowing that most regions have already started their summer regional races why don't you
put it as an option to race old school at the brits if you have already qualified riding new school
20" or cruiser. As most regions let you race cruiser if you have qualified on 20".

dialledbikes

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Hey Tony, rest assured I wasn't one of the people questioning the OSWS rules.  As you know, I only race OS occasionally so the rules don't affect me at all.  And I thought you and Gary put on a good battle for the title and were worthy 1 & 2 plates.

The only reason I mentioned it now is because you guys seem to have hit another bump in the road where rules/decisions need to be made/considered (just as you did before the OSWS about the age/era of bikes), so I thought it was worth making the point that if you are trying to get into the Brits, you need to do it in a way that is consistent with how the other classes qualify.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Thanks Mike, I have had a long chat with Kenny, a short one with Roger at BCF. I am going to get a few opinions etc. then try and move on with it. :daumenhoch:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 02:54 PM »
I approched the Midlands region about having an OS class at Regionals and they agreed but when it came to it there wasnt enough interest  >:( (3000 members and we couldnt raise 5 regulars riders like they required)

I think that the qualify on any bike (20/24 or OS) and race which you choose at the Brits is the best way around it

:) DINGO :)

spillers#1

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I agree with you dingo there are over 4000 people on this site from all over the country yet the numbers for old skool racing are low  :-\ last year in the south old skool series we had as many as 30 people turning up and all of us raced our nuts off and all became good friends  :daumenhoch: so come on chaps get those f**kin shiny bikes out of the bubble wrap and start racing bmx  :4_17_5: i mean correct me if i'm wrong but a bmx was built to be ridden on dirt and not on a front room carpet  :idiot2:

se bikes

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 11:36 PM »
TBH for me the Brits this year will be about pure O/S, I hope we do get a class that qualified by region and is not "exhibition".

Last year was exhibition year, many have moved on to other things i.e. 40+ etc but what got u back was O/S i dont see why if we are prepared to race the regional series as everyone else does and compete why we cant have a class.  But it's just my opinion.........

I wouldn't blame tony if right now he just went fook it....................... not his way tho, sure we'll get there in the end but who's prepared to shout out in support of O/S??????

dialledbikes

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 12:00 AM »
The OS deserves a class at the Brits, so I agree with Nik that I don't see why BC can't put on an Open OS class so that people from all regions can sign up for it regardless of whether they had an OS class at their regionals.

I'm not even sure I will be at the Brits this year, and if I am, I will be racing 40+ cruiser as that's my proper class, but I hope there is an OS class as well for all the guys who have got back into the sport.  It'll be a kick in the teeth for the Southerners if they support the region all season and qualify for the Brits but then have no class to race in.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  No OS at the Brits??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx