gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 09:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  I WANT TO GET BACK IN TO RIDING BUT AT 40 LET ME KNOW YR THOUGHTS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I WANT TO GET BACK IN TO RIDING BUT AT 40 LET ME KNOW YR THOUGHTS  (Read 3760 times)

adam01

Hello all again sorry for the new post

i am thinking of getting back in to the bmx riding has anyone here at the big 40 years of age with kids of there own done it as i want advice . obversely i have to loose a stone and a half as i am now 13.7 stone i just love the sport and always will i have a mountain bike and can do 120 back hops on the rear wheel i will do a small video clip and show you all so please give me yours thoughts.

Adam
ps: i was near a pro in the 80s on my gt performer :)

Trev

Re: I WANT TO GET BACK IN TO RIDING BUT AT 40 LET ME KNOW YR THOUGHTS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:09 PM »
our leader billy stupple is in his 40s and riding strong. as is twobobrob.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 10:10 PM »
I`m 43 this year and riding more this year than I have for the last 25  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

adam01

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I`m 43 this year and riding more this year than I have for the last 25  :daumenhoch:

thats excellent news where do i start as what bike and gear

adam

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 10:13 PM »
If you wanna ride, ride.  Just be sure to get the right tools around you   ;)

Age means nothing   :)

wildwood1971

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:15 PM »
for sale section - or put a post in wanted - your prob want a nice long from  - choice an era - old school - mid school or new school. And then ride it like you stole it  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh and deep pockets help as its an expensive game  :LolLolLolLol:

adam01

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:18 PM »
for sale section - or put a post in wanted - your prob want a nice long from  - choice an era - old school - mid school or new school. And then ride it like you stole it  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh and deep pockets help as its an expensive game  :LolLolLolLol:

i am now living in west of Ireland so delivery might be a problem money isn't a matter i have a budget of 2k sterling to get me going on the first bike

Adam

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Get Stevie B to build you up one of his Colony complete bikes.  That'll cost you well under £2k, but will be brimmed with quality stuff. He's a good guy   :daumenhoch:

wildwood1971

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:25 PM »
your in the right place mate - pull up a chair get the beers in make a few contacts and watch the for sale section - take your time and get to know folk on here.

Theres some top geezers on here - just feel your way around and don't be afraid to ask  :daumenhoch:

adam01

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Trev is the man

he is building my bike with all the best components with top of the range frame and folk set cant wait to see it and get back riding

Adam

Voodoocars

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:11 AM »
Why don't you build 2 bikes? Recreate your old school GT bit by bit and get a new bike to actually use.Plenty of decent bikes around under £500. I'm 40 and I built an old school bike but I just couldn't use it like a new bike (sold now).I ended up gettin' a 2008 GT fly.I only really got it 'cause it is white but after swapping a few components to get it where I want its ok.Its probably cost a total of  £350.I know I could have got a better equipped bike to begin with but I like 'altering'.I go riding at bikeparks twice a week and gettin' fitter all the time- not really lost much weight (still eat n drink) but certainly toned up a lot.

jedi

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:03 AM »
i've been riding bikes of some sort all my life.i'm 40 this year

you only grow old when you stop   :)

oldmankev

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Racing wise 40+ is getting one of the biggest
age groups evidence enough so get some pads
and enjoy.

adam01

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:40 AM »
thanks all for the advice

i have been doing some searching around Ireland to see if we have any bmx skate parks and i just couldn't believe it there is one only half an hour away from my house . i am not to sure if its open yet have to pop down there later to see whats what have a read --> http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/story.asp'stID=976
i will go down there tomm and take some pictures . i was thinking when i get back in to it and start getting good again maybe i could arrange a jam for the summer i will try and get some sponsors etc  :daumenhoch:

Adam

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 02:56 PM »
give shines a pm he's from ireland
he beable to tell ya the best spots

adam01

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Just come back from Athlone Regional Sports Centre and i had a chat with a nice lady in side the sports centre she tells me: that the skate part has not even been started yet and i should ring up on Tuesday and speak to Mr Liam Cunningham for details . i was looking so forward to seeing the finished park oh well lets hope he has news for me Tuesday . Adam

i have emailed shines

thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:09 PM by adam01 »

welsh denny

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 12:46 PM »
pad up and take it slow to start with. be prepared for some pain and aching muscles but it ll be worth it. everyone deserves some fun in their life.

mike pardon

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Dont do it pal....Go to garden centres on a sunday, go for long walks in the park, enjoy your middle age, Keep away from those kids bikes

adam01

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Dont do it pal....Go to garden centres on a sunday, go for long walks in the park, enjoy your middle age, Keep away from those kids bikes

thats  >:D

i am upset now  :crazy2:

Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:23 PM by adam01 »

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Racing wise 40+ is getting one of the biggest age groups evidence enough so get some pads and enjoy.

It seemed the same way in the mid 80s, based on what I once saw at Roundwood or Ringwood Park near Chesterfield. The Dads' class was the burliest and most aggressive race I've ever seen, every rider wearing his 'war face' and grunting with each pedal.
I turned 40 recently, no plans to stop riding yet. Anyone who doesn't ride just can't understand, and there's not much point trying to explain.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  I WANT TO GET BACK IN TO RIDING BUT AT 40 LET ME KNOW YR THOUGHTS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx