gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Storm Damage to my collection
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Storm Damage to my collection  (Read 425 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Storm Damage to my collection
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:21 AM »
... almost!
While the south of the uk was being battered by hurricane force winds, I was in Italy working. I live in Brighton by the sea, and My wife didnt have the heart to tell me [quite rightly as I would have panicked] that the winds actually blew a HUGE wooden container off our kitchen roof extension which was full of about 20 pairs of old school NOS wheels! She awoke to see the patio covered in shattered wood and anodised wheels! Luckily it seems that having fitted comp 3's to every wheel had helped as the rims didnt dent or buckle. And I havent found any scratches yet... so hopefully all is ok!
At the same time, my other big wooden box full of 25 frames, forks and bars was teetering on the edge, and the neighbours had to literally risk their lives to rescue it and laden it with bricks and anything else they could find.
Seriously, these boxes are HEAVY and you just canr move them as it would break your back, but tht day Mother Nature wanted to get in on the old school scene and nearly succeeded. Ive now repositioned the remaining box so its not so flat on to anymore storm winds, and am off to buy a replacement box this week as Im home.
Thought Id share that with you as its acollectors nightmare, and was wondeering if anyone else had problems with their old school stuff and those storms that battrd the south?
Cheers for now!
steve

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
Re: Storm Damage to my collection
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31 AM »
pretty lucky there Steve... btw posting that F&F today

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:06 AM »
Jesus Steve, that was lucky hope the frames and rims are ok dude. No problems with my stuff as everything is locked up indoors lucky enough. Was bloody windy here in Epping though that's for sure  :shocked:  ;)

perry

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54 AM »
why so many frames and wheels sat in boxs  :-\

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Very lucky that Steve!

By the way, as you seem to have a collection of wheels, if you have any early/mid 90s 36 spoke race wheels for sale please let me know  :daumenhoch:

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Its a weird one as to why I have so many in boxes... basically ive been taking my time over the last few years restoring, amdassing and collecting all the right bits and bobs until I had the fleet of bikes Id always wanted. Ive been storing them away for the next stage which will be to build them all up, I love the searching for parts and getting frames painted etc etc.. and thought id do it all first, then save the best part for last - building them up. so from now i have a build fest ahead of me, and am also sorting somewhere to keep them all, as I have no room for complete bikes here, so I may just build the odd one for show then store away again, I havent decided yet. Also, I like to have them stored away as its happened before that when work dries up for a long period, I can sell them! Its better than having money n the bank that im bound to spend. Anyway, thats me reasons for having a bunch of boxed up bikes... plus I have a total pk ripper addiction.  :2funny:

perry

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:55 AM »
 :)

ive noticed a lot of people convert their lofts

maybe work out a deal with local shops to sit them in their windows , would be a shame to have to hide them away in storage  :(

wouldave been worse to have them all damaged though , you narrowly missed the grim reapers scythe by the sounds of it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Storm Damage to my collection

gfxgfx
gfx gfx