gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 07:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  My BMX thoughts...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My BMX thoughts...  (Read 811 times)

Broggie

My BMX thoughts...
« on: March 15, 2008, 06:27 AM »
I've been faffing about with this bmx stuff for a while now, although I dont get much time to practice as my sodding company works me into the ground.  I've tried doing tricks and not only am I completely crap, but the 1mm bunny hop is completely out of my reach, the only way I can get the back end of the bike up, other than jamming the front brake on and jumping upwards, is to get off the bike and physically lift it up.
I like the idea of old school tricks, I know they come from a simpler time, but they look like fun and in a bmx world where everyone and his dog can do a tailwhip I just want to be a bit different...
All this leaping up in the air stuff looks fun, and going over spines...but my middle aged mind only says fook that it looks scary  :-[ ;D
It might be obvious to everyone else but I've found that different parts for example on one of my 2006 sports (quiet please Joe ;)) fitting skyways and kneesavers has made it ride and perform better...
I'm afraid my saddle will always sit very high in comparison to NS riders as trying to pedal with my knees round my ears really doesnt work for me and I cant stand up all day on a bike...

Yes I would like to go over a few bumps and get used to the idea of getting the bike off the ground, and obviously I will get better as time passes (even I cant be that bad forever) but there doesnt seem to be many (if any) places around where I can do this.  I'm sorry if I currently view skateparks as scary places, but at the moment they are, even togged up to the nines in body armour (yes I have all that too).
Ideally I need to practice some small trials and get used to the idea and measure of my own (in) ability before moving on to bigger things.
During the week (evening practice) I run out of Romford in Essex and at the weekend I run out of Sawston (just south of Cambridge).

any suggestions welcome  :daumenhoch:

Ray.

JT71

Re: My BMX thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:45 AM »
okay dude, you're not the only one who is middle aged and completely trickless.

however, the bunnyhop is achievable...and you should also get along to a RAd novice night.

I'm going to find it hard to describe how to do a bunny hop but basically:

1. compress over the bars with your upper body
2. pull up whilst uncompressing
3. the front will lift, you can get this higher with practice
4. then once the front is at it's highest point and begins to drop, with your toes pointed downwards (grippy DX style pedals are your friend)
pull up your legs.

your back wheel WILL lift, this is a great little skill, as if you only manage 4 or 5 inches or so it will mean just riding around is more fun, hopping up a kerb is great.

about ten years ago I could manage about 2ft on a hard tail mtb, but with suspension forks, which I found helped get the front up.
My skills aren't like that anymore, no it's just kerbs.  :daumenhoch:

dry evening, even dark, super market car parks for a bit of fun. It's too cold just now though.  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

what about hooking up with some of the Rom crew for a roll around there, I've never been but it looks awesome.

Trev

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Ray, you just gotta stick with it.  Believe me, you're in the same boat as a lot of people here. I am struggling big time this time around. Although age and weight does have a small part to play, the most important factor is i'm not getting enough hours on the bike. I'm hoping this year that will all change and I'll get to ride more frequently.
Also another fairly big factor, and you're not gonna like me for this, is your bike. I know, as I have a 2006 Sport too. I find that thing so bloody heavy, I really struggle getting it off the ground just doing bunnyhops etc. It feels nice to ride (I too have my seat high on that one) around the street on it, but trying any sort of jump on it off kerbs and stuff was a lot of effort. I daren't even try to ride ramps with it.

Either way, all you gotta do is keep riding and eventually it will pay off.

Good luck with it.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Voodoocars

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Heres what I have found. Ride whatever bike you feel comfotable on.If that means trying other peoples bikes so be it.Dont listen to guys who say 'your bars should be back a bit mate' or 'you need your seat lower'.You will figure these things out as you ride.Another big factor is defo fiding with other guys who are at a similar level to yourself.That way you sort of compete against each other and try stuff you wouldn't normally do if you were on your own.It won't happen in 5 min either- I've been back on my bike for nearly a year and I've still got things I want to do but have to slowly work toward it.Don't be afraid to fall off- 'cause you will at some stage.just make sure you have the right protection gear on.
I must agree with Trev tho' about the weight of your bike.Unless you are tearing around on big ramps and flowing around a park a heavy bike is a hinderance.
Get yourself to a rad meet dude!  

perry

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 10:35 AM »
study study study

and best of all you can stay where you are and eat cake at the same time  :)

/>
if need be keep pausing to get an idea of body position

/>
i find i ride better if i keep my elbows into my side like stricker

/>
/>
best way to start is at the rear

rolling along , tense your arms , lean forward slightly , bring your feet up by bending your knees , you will also have to kinda push back so the pedals stick to your shoes

next

ride alongside a kerb and lift the front wheel onto it , then use the previous technique to get the rear wheel up

once you can do that fine you have the basic movements sorted , start lifting the front higher and lifting the rear without the front being on the ground still

also learn to just lift the front wheel at a point on the ground and keep it up until the rear is past the point , that mean you will later be able to hop over things

if its all a bit to much at the moment , trackstand , hold the rear brake on and use all the movements to hop , you wont have covered any distance but having the rear brake on will stop the looping off the rear feeling when you pull up  :daumenhoch:

also start learning manuals ( wheelie without pedaling ) hell learn wheelies too , its all fun

firebird

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 10:41 AM »
where is the RAd novice night held?

Broggie

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 03:56 PM »
I will keep at it, especially considering the money I've spent, it would be pointless not to.  I know the 2006 sport is a heavy mutha.  I was kinda hoping I might get some joy out of it before doing a proper NS/OS hybrid build.  Trouble is I've got a thing about tuffs  ;).

I have been thinking about getting rid of one of the sports and doing the proper build...

I like the look of the United Squad frame (the tan/yellow one) I thought I could match this up with white squad bars or kneesavers, forks and tuffs...please tell me if it sounds daft.

I've got 2 retro rippers but I guess they will be no use for freestyle whatsoever.

My 1984 master and T/A I think I should show some mercy to and not try to bust them in half with my fat arse...besides the brakes are crap...I dont know how you lot managed BITD with brakes like that.

Ray.

perry

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 04:37 PM »
united will look pretty sweet with tuffs , even if only on the front  :)

lazyboy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 08:41 PM »
try to bunnyhop stuff like carboard boxes,if u hit then u just sqash them. ;D

moley

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:53 PM »
My 1.5mm bunny hop is dialled.   

Were all in the same boat, mate.   I've had a total of 2.5 hours riding a BMX since the mid 80's. 

My head thinks it knows what to do, but my body has got other ideas.

Try some of my scans.

There are quite a few Freestyle books and other good stuff.

Also there is a Freestyle A-Z section in Archive - Knowledge Base Section on the Download site.

http://bmx-recollection.4shared.com  (Download Site)

or

http://bmx-recollection.com (New Web site. Still Under Construction)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Summers coming, light evening.....

Wednesday night Rom session. 6-9pm.  Make that a regular session and you're halfway there, all you need then is a suitable spot for the weekend.  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  My BMX thoughts...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx