gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  removing sealed bearings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: removing sealed bearings  (Read 527 times)

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
removing sealed bearings
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:26 PM »
just thought i would ask before a bit of elbow grease goes possibley where it shouldn't. I am stripping a suntour rear hub to send for re anodizing. Got the axle out had a quick poke and prod with a screw driver caused no damage. Anybody got any tips or advice before it's time to go medievil on it raising the damage risk?

perry

Re: removing sealed bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54 PM »
id tap them out from inside with ideally a proper panel beating flat punch but anything long/thin and with as blunt an end as possible

its a hassle replacing the seal if you damage it

dont be heavy handed and for instance go 12 oclock , 6 oclock , 3 oclock , 9 oclock and repeat

you need to tap it out square so it doesnt damage the hub  :daumenhoch:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:04 PM »
cheers for that i'll get looking through my tool box.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:10 PM »
What Perry said   :daumenhoch:

It's a good fit, so it'll require drifting out with something decent. Follow the 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock rule and there's no need to hit it hard. You'll feel it start to move then it'll just be series of 'polite' taps to pop em out   :)

It's worth buying a couple of good punches, one with about a 6-8mm flat head and one around half that size. They'll do most jobs for ya   ;)

perry

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:33 PM »
 :)

to save money grind an old screwdriver head off flat

thats the word " drift " memory like a sive lol

tap it at the very edge not the centre of the bearing , ive seen a few sealed bottom bracket bearings destroyed because people hit the inner of the bearing and they dont like that kind of side load so shatter

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  removing sealed bearings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx