gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Is 40+ cruiser class a freak show?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is 40+ cruiser class a freak show?  (Read 5904 times)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Is 40+ cruiser class a freak show?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 09:57 PM »
oops missed this thread  :-[

39 soon and cannot wait to do 40+ next year

Paul hope you had a great birthday? you are one of the gentlemen of this great sport

:) DINGO :)

spillers#1

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Hayes Winter Series Cruiser class was 13+ (age) the
top 4 riders were from 40+ nuff said.
And you won the series overall  :daumenhoch: well done kev you old freak  :LolLolLolLol:

zed4130

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2008, 07:50 AM »
are we all not just doing what we love, be it racing or freestyle, we were all brought up on this , i know this was tongue in cheek mike, but it used to get on my wick when people said to me isnt that a kids bike   :knuppel2:  then recently my sister in law said isnt that a girls bike  :uglystupid2: whats the difference in having a kick around the park with your kids , or going down the sk8park  ???  i know the bikes are small, but im never going to get a crowser, ive got a mtb thats got big enough wheels for me, i hope im still riding a bmx when im 50  :)  might not beable to move very far but what the hey  :daumenhoch: its all fun, and i love these ikle bikes   :4_17_5:

Caddy555

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 08:29 AM »
Thanks Mark we did have a good time.

This was never intended to have a pop at anyone I have the utmost respect for each and every one of you 40+ riders, even though my skills on a bike are about 1% of Mikes, Flems, Kev's, Tony Slater et al.

I enjoy riding even though it is last most of the time on a BMX track.

I have a 20 inch and a 24 inch DK built up to a nice spec in the hope that Simon (son) will get back out there and keep his old man happy??

Paul.

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Great Thread.  :daumenhoch:

Anybody who's a regular here,will see Mike fires in these cheeky topics now and again and they always get a good ol' discussion goin' on.

Flem ^ Fantastic Pics.Thats the way to do it. Good Luck this year.

wussy67

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Heres my 40+ freakshow bike :LolLolLolLol: decals by Del :4_17_5:

come on BURNHAMMMM!!!! :Great_Britain:

kdubbmx

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Well having just returned from Burnham national & seeing how hard it was for me just to make the A final in 40+ i would say it def ISNT  a freak show at all!!!

Back in 05 (when i first raced again since quiting in  83) there were four or five 'racers' in 40+ who had speed + skills, the rest were riders dads, having a bit of fun riding round the track (nothing wrong with that).(i guess thats what Mike calls the 'freakshow')

Fast forward to 08 & all 19 riders @Burnham were capable of doing well, all turned up to RACE & race they did!
All of them were very experienced racers that had the 'snap', power & skills to match & most of them did well in younger groups in the last few years.

Watching the 'B' final i reckon that was as quick if not quicker than some of the 'A' finals from a few years ago.

The main difference now is that a 'pack' of riders goes round the track where a couple years ago one or two riders would leave everyone & the riders would be spread out with the winners finishing ten seconds before everyone else.

Come & race again Mike & youll see how much its changed in just a couple of years!!

Besides, we haven't raced each other since 1981 & i just checked the result it was a national at Ipswich & i got 1st & you were 2nd so you need to come & pay me back!........... ;)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:49 PM by kdubbmx »

mike pardon

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Well having just returned from Burnham national & seeing how hard it was for me just to make the A final in 40+ i would say it def ISNT  a freak show at all!!!

Back in 05 (when i first raced again since quiting in  83) there were four or five 'racers' in 40+ who had speed + skills, the rest were riders dads, having a bit of fun riding round the track (nothing wrong with that).(i guess thats what Mike calls the 'freakshow')

Fast forward to 08 & all 19 riders @Burnham were capable of doing well, all turned up to RACE & race they did!
All of them were very experienced racers that had the 'snap', power & skills to match & most of them did well in younger groups in the last few years.

Watching the 'B' final i reckon that was as quick if not quicker than some of the 'A' finals from a few years ago.
The main difference now is that a 'pack' of riders goes round the track where a couple years ago one or two riders would leave everyone & the riders would be spread out with the winners finishing ten seconds before everyone else.

Come & race again Mike & youll see how much its changed in just a couple of years!!

Besides, we haven't raced each other since 1981 & i just checked the result it was a national at Ipswich & i got 1st & you were 2nd so you need to come & pay me back!........... ;)

Nice one KEITH, sorry mate my cruiser racing is over. Glad it is more competitive now, it needed to be after the last two years. But in all honesty it should be the younger classes that are getting swelled with new blood. Thats the future

kdubbmx

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Shame youre not racing cruiser Mike, i reckon a 40+ 20inch class would easily get enough riders now though.

40+ is gonna get more & more cometitive every year i reckon, theres a lot of fast riders that'll be 40 in the next few years & i cant see them giving up or getting slower!

I understand where your'e coming from though buddy, one of the reasons i stopped after 05 was that there just wasnt enough 40+ers around back then that rode well to make it a challenge to race, as i've said before though its very different now!!

Agree with the new blood thing totally, puts a big smile on my face watching my 4yr old rip down our garden track pumping, jumping & ripping through the turns, then seeing him win at hayes against older kids was cool, he's the future for sure!!!

Progression is good, seeing how much some riders have improved in the three years since i last went racing is cool, guys like Bradley Watts, Reece Harper & Matty Kirk have come on loads + loads more whose names i dont know!!   :Great_Britain:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Just back from Burnham, the first national of the year, all the racing was mint and TBH the 40+ was bloody exciting, not quite as good as Flemdog, Alan Hill and TJ Baldwin in the 30-39 cruiser, that was blinding, TJ is as sketchy as fook but also as rad as they come.
Back to Keiths comments, I also think the time is right for a 40+ 20", I would get blitzed in the masters, but I love 20". It seems a shame to have to go cruiser, either that or have an Old School gate as well :angel:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

oldmankev

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I would certainly go 20" if it was 40+, i already practice on
a Dialled mx20, i did a thread last year about who would
be up for it but there was not enough positive response
even though Roger at bc said it would not be a problem
as long as there was enogh numbers.Time for a new
debate?

kdubbmx

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I would certainly go 20" if it was 40+, i already practice on
a Dialled mx20, i did a thread last year about who would
be up for it but there was not enough positive response
even though Roger at bc said it would not be a problem
as long as there was enogh numbers.Time for a new
debate?

Prob twice as many 40+'ers now so yes i reckon so!!

wolfybmx

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2008, 01:44 PM »
i would do a 40+ 20'' series :daumenhoch:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Well if there is to be a 40+ 20" class then it will be next year before it can start now, so plenty of time to set it up if it`s a go`er  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2008, 02:09 PM »
BE BRILL

I CAN THEN TRANSFER ALL MY OLD SCKOOL RACIN SKILLS ON TO A NEW SCKOOL RIDE

OH YEH ,,DADDY,S GOT A SWEET TOOTH TONIGHT

RUSS

Buckmore Bat

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2008, 12:25 AM »
Im up for 40+ 20 inch racing.  ;)

wussy67

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2008, 12:37 AM »
i"m def up for it :daumenhoch:

Twatty

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2008, 09:08 AM »
Count me in for 20' 40+ also. Planning to get a 20 when/if I get my bonus this year anyway, so was just going to get mashed in the Masters otherwise..... SMART....

dialledbikes

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2008, 10:16 AM »
It would be good if the 40+ had the option of 20" or cruiser like the other age groups, but after only 12 people raced cruiser at Burnham on Sunday, I think BC will retain the view that there aren't enough 40+ riders to merit having 2 classes.

Personally, I think running 40+ as an open class is a more viable option until we get more riders, that way people can race whichever bike they prefer.

darren

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2008, 12:10 PM »
having raced the winter national series last year with mixed classes i dont see why it shouldnt work ok, in my 33-36 group there were only 2 of us on 20" but didnt stop us getting 2nd and 3rd overall. its great too see so many older riders getting back into it and getting thier kids involved too its all bmx and more riders which cant be bad.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Is 40+ cruiser class a freak show?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx