gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975754 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 16, 2024, 10:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  are all chains the same length ?? after a new one . do i measure my old one ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: are all chains the same length ?? after a new one . do i measure my old one ?  (Read 552 times)

woodz77

as title really . want a new clean chain but dont know if theres different lengths etc ????

jackel

no just cut your new chain down to size there all a bit to big when new :)

woodz77

how do i cut it down ? just knock the pin out of the link and then rejoin it ?? just want to check before i fook it up :2funny:

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
use a chain tool to prise the pin out,not all the way out,and then do the opposite way round to get it back in.

a nice tip use a piece of wire coat hanger between the links outside the links your removing to keep the chain together.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

priv

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 02:46 PM by priv »

darkersomeday

how do i cut it down ? just knock the pin out of the link and then rejoin it ?? just want to check before i fook it up :2funny:

yes.
put both chains side-by-side and compare to make sure the chains are the same pitch/gauge,
count the links on your old chain,

subversion

BMX chains are ½”.

You can check to see if a chain has stretched by using a 12" rule, a new chain will be 12" pin-pin if you hold the rule up to it. You can check how much a chain has stretched by measuring how far the pin is over the 12" mark :daumenhoch:

If you fit a new chain after having your old one on for a good while & you count the same amount of links, chances are your back wheel will be deeper into the dropout than it was with the old one, once you have set up the correct chain tension again...

cheers

JT71

throw the old one away, don't worry about how long it is.

get your bike upside down, position wheel forward in the drop out, as far forward as your tensoiner will allow.

get new chain around your rear sprocket then round the chain ring and see where it comes, break it there with chain tool, these are only £3 in tesco, and join it with it's quick link, tension if needed, then enjoy.

PS: i got chains 1/2" x 3/8" 116 links, more than enough, complete with quick link for joining in Red, Yellow or plain silver

£7.49 posted to your door royal mail first class.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  are all chains the same length ?? after a new one . do i measure my old one ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx