gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 12:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern BMXs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Modern BMXs  (Read 469 times)

Al Wyn

Modern BMXs
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:24 AM »
My 9 year year old lads been pottering around on a GT Vertigo and planning ahead a little im looking to get him something a little more `scene` but not too expensive. Hes still learning the basics at the mo and enjoys rolling around the ramps and doing endos and occasional trips to the local woods for the jumps. As im not down with the kids anymore lol what would be the best i can get for around the £100 mark 2nd hand? Are Felt and 2 Hip any good? All replies welcomed :daumenhoch:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: Modern BMXs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:35 AM »
At 9, I suspect he'll be better on an 18" bike (unless he is freakish tall!).

It's much better to get something in scale with the lad so that he doesn't have such a long reach to the bars, and the gait on the cranks isn't too long for his little legs.

So many parents come into the shop trying to get their kids on to 20" too early only for them to find that the kid doesn't use it or they come back for something smaller.

Pop in with the lad to have a go on both if you fancy - no obligation to buy anything, but I would really advise trying to find the right size first.

Al Wyn

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply Stodgy...hes bang on 5ft as it goes (we grow them bigger down here on the south coast lol) Id be popping into RAD with him if you were a little localer but he has riden 18" but he says he feels more comfortable on the 20. I know exactly what you mean ive seen the 6 year olds on 20" and its plain silly when they are trying to pop the front wheel up they are obviously way too big and heavy for them. One thing which im glad of is that my lad `wants` front and back brakes and after taking the front one off his GT he asked for me to put it back on the following day as he cant endos without them. What makes should i be looking out for?

Offline BUBBS

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:19 PM »
My boy Josh has just turned nine he was riding a 20'' but we dropped him down onto a Fit 18'' and he now rides the bike instead of the bike controlling him

Al Wyn

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:49 PM »
I hear you Bubbs but hes not a just turned wimpy 9 year old (not saying your lad is btw lol)... hes ten soon he mountain bikes, swims, tramolines and plays football has a six pack and is as big as some of the year 7 lads.  Are the manufacturers i mentioned earlier in the thread worth looking at?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56 PM »
 :) Look at some of the Fit and WTP bikes,maybe something with a 19.5-20.25 toptube?

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I've got a tall 9 year old and just got him a second hand Kink Curb, It's got a short top tube I think it's a 20.25tt. He did have a kink kicker 18 and he outgrew that but looked too small on my 20 inch with a 20.75 tt.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern BMXs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx