gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Paint or powdercoat
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Paint or powdercoat  (Read 770 times)

reyn

Paint or powdercoat
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:22 PM »
Hi
I've got a chromed frame, forks and bars but the chrome is scratched / in poor condition. Is this a suitable candidate for painting or powdercoating?

What do I need to do to the frame to paint/powder? Is it necessary to have the chrome removed for both paint/powder, I take it this is best done by a chromers who reverse the process?

How much does it cost as a guide to paint powder?

Any info always helpful :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Paint or powdercoat
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51 AM »
if you want it powdered then just take it to them, they should be able to shot blast the chrome off, this course finish is what it is needed to get the powder to key to the frame, otherwise it could flake off in chunks,paint is not as tuff and could be scratched much easier, but again you would have to get the chrome off first  :daumenhoch:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Guttee

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Get it rechromed you tight wad.

bigtimerob

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:04 PM »
a good paint finish will be 100 times better than powder, however it will be a lot dearer too. Powder- frame and forks=£20-£30.. Painted-anything up to £100

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 01:37 AM »
if you want it powdered then just take it to them, they should be able to shot blast the chrome off, this course finish is what it is needed to get the powder to key to the frame, otherwise it could flake off in chunks,paint is not as tuff and could be scratched much easier

Not true,
 if your chrome was not rusty and no pitting its perfect to powdercoat no need to blast

It doesnt need to be coarse at all
It's been mentioned a few times on here before  ;)

If you're going to paint it make sure you use etch primer as a base coat, (prior to degreasing )
 not just a normal base primer  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 04:55 PM »
ive seen powder coat flake off after a couple of years outside, as on some gates and railings, but if it was shot blasted first it would last ta least 15 years, we use to gaurantee it for 10 years, i know your bike wont be stood outside but shows that it doesnt last as long if you dont key the frame first, even more so for 2 pack paints, it will just flake off when you tighten the wheel nuts, :shocked:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

reyn

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Got the same frame in chrome already so thought I'd do this frame thats scratched in black powdercoat and do the bike as a reverse of the chrome bike......if you see what I mean........ ;)

gutee  :Aresehole: you know what I mean matey......  ;) You started on the other bike yet??????

reyn

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:58 PM »
So who's had a frame powdercoated?. How scratched can a frame be before the powdercoat starts to show these scratches through????

Anyone got any pics of before and after of poor frames transformed by powdercoat?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Paint or powdercoat

gfxgfx
gfx gfx