gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Retro 24" Tuffs. Cool, or just plain daft?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Retro 24" Tuffs. Cool, or just plain daft?  (Read 774 times)

the_wheelie_king

Retro 24" Tuffs. Cool, or just plain daft?
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Evening chaps. One of the guys on vintage will soon be selling retro 24" T-spoke Skyways in both colour and graphite versions, and I'm toying with the idea of buying a pair of the latter from him for my ongoing XL24 project. It's an odds-on certainty that they'll look supercool, but I don't think I've ever read anything complimentary about cruiser-sized tuffs. Lots of flexing problems and weight seem to be the main drawbacks, and I seem to recall that you don't get that nice a bite when you hit the brakes, even if you use tuff pads. Is this right?

So my question is this: is it worth the $360ish (with postage to the UK) outlay when I have a perfectly good set of ukai's built and ready to go? I sense this has disappointment written all over it, especially when you're used to quality standard wheels...

What to do? :-\

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
Re: Retro 24" Tuffs. Cool, or just plain daft?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31 PM »
the new T-Spoke Graphites should be the nutz, if they're as good as coloredtuffs are saying they are, stick some kool caps on em and they'd look niiiiice !
just my 2 penneth !  ;)

YGM re: UKAI's BTW  :)

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Never had any issues with my set, brakes worked great and they are really smooth...  of course spoked wheels are going to be more stiff, but it's not that noticeable.

:daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Rooonga

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:40 AM »
If I keep my 24" Torker I'm deffo having a set for it.

I sent Steve Colored Tuffs) ab enail about a yar ago now, when he 1st said about them.

The cool factor will easily outweigh the flex etc IMHO

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02 AM »
BOING

Zeberdee always uses Skyway 24"    :daumenhoch:

I think to ride Skyways you need to practice, going from spokes to mags is hard work though.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:30 AM »
I'd go spokes, especially if you're going to ride it. But, it's your bike so you go for what makes you happy.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I'd go spokes, especially if you're going to ride it. But, it's your bike so you go for what makes you happy.

Ditto , go spokes IMO  ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:41 PM »
Id think about using a set of black ones on my 24" challenger. I only really ride it around the streets, and what could look more "BMX" than a set of Tuffs?

spesh

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:27 PM »
had tuffs onb me gt looked great but where the spokes joined the rim the was a raise lump on the braking suface which felt like it had warped discs
did think about having them "skimmed" but just sold them instead

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 01:29 AM »
Evening chaps. One of the guys on vintage will soon be selling retro 24" T-spoke Skyways in both colour and graphite versions, and I'm toying with the idea of buying a pair of the latter from him for my ongoing XL24 project. It's an odds-on certainty that they'll look supercool, but I don't think I've ever read anything complimentary about cruiser-sized tuffs. Lots of flexing problems and weight seem to be the main drawbacks, and I seem to recall that you don't get that nice a bite when you hit the brakes, even if you use tuff pads. Is this right?

So my question is this: is it worth the $360ish (with postage to the UK) outlay when I have a perfectly good set of ukai's built and ready to go? I sense this has disappointment written all over it, especially when you're used to quality standard wheels...

What to do? :-\

Snap his hand off T SPOKES
not H section like the the modern ones Colouredtuffs sell

Thats a good price it'll cost almost that much for some H sections like on Spesh's GT above

but T spokes like on Ron Burgundy's  Redline are the Old schoolers ( have they got alloy hub aswell )
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 10:39 AM by Hunterdubber »

the_wheelie_king

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Oh sod it. Graphite me up. What the point of buggering about with old bikes if you can't fritter a few fistfuls of loot now and then? Fingers crossed they look as cool as I think they will... thanks for your input fellas

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Retro 24" Tuffs. Cool, or just plain daft?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx