gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 12:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  new retro race bike
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new retro race bike  (Read 1375 times)

THIRSTYKIRSTY

new retro race bike
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:34 PM »
wat are peoples thoughts on racing a repro bike

like a new burner repro

taaa

russ

80sdave

Re: new retro race bike
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:05 PM »
This is what i was thinking of doing seeing as i need a 21" toptube, longer would be better but their aint much about so i thought this route might be easier but i beleave the bike has to be 80% os or summit ?

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:18 PM »
Not really oldschool, is it?
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Raleigh used an original frame to build the repre bikes, so that means you still get a 17.5" top tube. i.e crap for racing.

80sdave

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:00 PM »
What is out their from the 80's with a 21" + TT anything.

dibly

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:02 PM »
if you go very late 80's early 90's there is a few like russes hyper or orgasmdoners elf etc

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:21 PM »
The best bike (in my opinion, and everyone that's ridden it) is a Robinson Pro XL.

The main problem is there's only 5 in the UK and once someone has one they almost never sell them as they're that good.

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:24 PM »
free agent limos  21" tt 1987 till early 90's

another under rated bike
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56 AM »
my assasin pro not sure on exact year though but must be late 80s

zed4130

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Im with zippy, although im a short ass and i like a 18inch TT  ;) my robinson pro has a 18, its long enough for me  ;) its always down to who has the biggest  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:04 AM »
hate to put the spanner in the works, but i thought the rule just states that it has to have a 1" threaded headset and a caliper brake??

what's all the fuss about?  i thought the OS race series was all about having a laugh........i was told i could race my MCS in the OS races at MK last year as it had a 1 1/8th headset and canti brake, so i borrowed a GT off Gashead to race with........i got up on the gate for the first race to find i was going up against a bike about 2 years old! with V brake and 1 18th headset!!

if you take the rule to the letter then the new Burners or the new TA when it comes out are fine.

perry

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 08:53 AM »
ive been considering an old skool racer

most are tooooo short

the decent long ones are rare ( im tight and dont want to spend more than a few hundred lol )

so that leaves us cheap skates with stuff like universals  ???

how strict is the inch/caliper rule ?

could i for instance use an s&m race , bolt on a caliper ( ignoring the v posts ) and use reducer cups to take it down to an inch  :-\

sure it wouldnt leave much choice in forks still but other than that and a stem the rest of the bike could be all new  :-\ including things like threaded chris kings , new race bars etc

i know its not in the spirit of racing old skool but wheres the boundary for setting up a bike from scratch  :-[

im not kicking off , im just really confused  :buck2:

and would being 24 and only 10stone rule me out before i thought about what bike i could use  :-X

have a pic of a new fbm having an identity crisis  8)

zed4130

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:55 AM »
hate to put the spanner in the works, but i thought the rule just states that it has to have a 1" threaded headset and a caliper brake??

what's all the fuss about?  i thought the OS race series was all about having a laugh........i was told i could race my MCS in the OS races at MK last year as it had a 1 1/8th headset and canti brake, so i borrowed a GT off Gashead to race with........i got up on the gate for the first race to find i was going up against a bike about 2 years old! with V brake and 1 18th headset!!

if you take the rule to the letter then the new Burners or the new TA when it comes out are fine.

yeah im sure flying fox was in one of my OS races at mk rob ,and he was on a new standard 250r i thinks the rules are abit loose  ;)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:30 AM »
what pickle said,it's all about having a laugh,what about a freestyle bike?

my reflex is old skool but has the rear foot rests any good or illegal 'cos of the  foot rests{or whatever they are called :idiot2:}

priv

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:40 AM »
No one complained about me on the 25th Anniversary Burner....  :coolsmiley:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 11:32 AM »

my reflex is old skool but has the rear foot rests any good or illegal 'cos of the  foot rests{or whatever they are called :idiot2:}

priv

That's fine mate!   :daumenhoch:

zed4130

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Its all bmx, i noticed at the races at bournemouth last year ,loads of mixed bmx's being used, i suppose people use what they have,  :daumenhoch:

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 11:50 AM »

priv

That's fine mate!   :daumenhoch:

cool, watch out MK08

priv

Longun

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 11:56 AM »
If you're gonna ride something with a 21" TT then you might as well race NS.  If I can ride something with an 18" TT (I'm 6ft 4) then I'm sure you can. Just stick on some big bars and a layback. I thought the whole point of OS was that the bikes were going to feel and handle different.

80sdave

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 10:18 PM »
I fancied the os series to ride the bikes i used to ride back then and i would like to stick to the rules, if i have to ride an 18" tt i will still be a giggle but it would piss me off if someone is racing the same series on a 2 year old bike that weighs half the amount actually handles and stops when you need it to as it completely misses the point.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:22 PM »
to be fair Dave i think they do keep pretty much to the rules regards 1" threaded headset and caliper brake...........i just think it got a little mixed up at MK last year.

it's just that some people think you shouldn't be able to ride things such as the new burners and such in the OS series.

dibly

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 10:24 PM »
dude ride what you want to in it then aslong as its in the rules inch headtube, caliper brakes dont bother what orther people ride man (as long as it in the rules) thats not what its all about  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  new retro race bike

gfxgfx
gfx gfx