gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 12:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2 different types of bubble script Flight rings? Its a new one on me.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2 different types of bubble script Flight rings? Its a new one on me.  (Read 987 times)

SaMAlex

I was rummaging in the shed last night and found a load of flight rings. They are all the same, bubble script, and range from 41t up to 45t (I think 3 of them are 44t).

Now, here is a thing Ive never noticed before; There are two different styles to them. On the back some of them were smooth and went straight into the teeth shape, but some have a step before the teeth, like they all do on the front. Does anyone know if this was a design change at a certain date or were they made in different places? Other than that, I think they are totally the same.

dj_benice

Re: 2 different types of bubble script Flight rings? Its a new one on me.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:16 PM »
can't really say from the pictures, send them over and I will tell ya  >:D

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:19 PM »
You can probably tell from the pics that they are all well well used.  >:D

One of them even has 4 "crank arm" holes drilled in it for a home made sprocket pocket I made from a chopping board.  :crazy2:

dj_benice

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:24 PM »
One of them even has 4 "crank arm" holes drilled in it for a home made sprocket pocket I made from a chopping board.  :crazy2:

can't beat a bit of bodging ;)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43 PM »
the wording on the ring REDLINE is it in parallel with the hole that bolts to the crank arm.
or is the hole not inline ,i think some of the 90s rings looked wrong as when your pedals are level
the redline wording was facing top to bottom and not left to right.

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:19 PM »
No Dan, they are all the same. all with the text inline and opposite the crank arm (the one that looks funny is the one I drilled for a sprocket pocket.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:05 PM »
so ya been sitting on a few quids worth there alex lol
what else ya got stashed away

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:09 PM »
so ya been sitting on a few quids worth there alex lol
what else ya got stashed away

They cant be worth too much, they are very used. Well worn teeth. One of the rings is even "Bio-pace" if you know what I mean.

Ive got loads and loads of BMX crap, but all ridden into the ground. I dont think there is anything close to Mint, let alone NOS anywhere in my shed. Just the leftovers of 26 years of BMX, and never really throwing away a thing.

dj_benice

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:22 PM »
any bubble script flight ring will do good money alex, you'd be suprised how one would polish up and a chain on a show pony covers the worse teeth ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:25 PM »
any bubble script flight ring will do good money alex, you'd be suprised how one would polish up and a chain on a show pony covers the worse teeth ;)

A Chain, on a show bike?  :LolLolLolLol:

I dont go a whole lot on selling stuff, unless I know I will never need it (eg. Im about to sell a load of opc's).
Havin said that, I am very short of cash so maybe I should get polishing!  :'(

dj_benice

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:28 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  shouldl I send some 1600 and 2000 grain paper over ???  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:31 PM »
:LolLolLolLol:  shouldl I send some 1600 and 2000 grain paper over ???  :LolLolLolLol:

I dont know much about selling OS stuff, but I think one of these rings will cost you more than a few sheets of sandpaper!  :2funny:

I will see how I get on cleaning up my opc's first. I havent even taken them out of the box yet so it might not even happen!  :buck2:

dj_benice

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:33 PM »
pmsl they're safe from me alex, don't think I even own a set of 401's anymore :(

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:37 PM »
don't think I even own a set of 401's anymore :(

I sold 2 sets of 401s last year. Ive still got 2 sets left, one of them is snapped clean in half on the drive side, and welded back together (badly). Im not sure a redline 401 decal will cover the join up

dj_benice

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 08:47 PM »
More polish work for you me-thinks, should be able to polish the welds out if you want em for show, wouldn't wanna risk riding them meself  :LolLolLolLol:  Yup must have had nearly ten set's pass through my hands last couple of years but only nice ones I have at the minute are cook bros  :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  2 different types of bubble script Flight rings? Its a new one on me.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx